Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

any good roads from Ri to NYC

I'm heading down to NYC on Fri. I'm not really looking forward to a 2 1/2 hr slab ride down. Can anyone give me any suggestions on backroads, twisties or some sweet secondary roads through Ct and NY?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

08 Ape RSV1000R
    09 Ram 1500 Black Big Horn
    10 Mini Cooper S sleeper (hers)

good question..

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Take the Merrit Parkway. No trucks allowed, 2 lanes each way, Hilly, Scenic, twisty and fast. You will like it and still make good time. Trust me. Did it in my Beamer I was having a ball.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce

08 Ape RSV1000R

Great to know. Thank you

Another vote for the Merrit. It's a wonderful road, but be wary of the people pulling onto the road, there really aren't any "on ramps" to speak of.

Also, if it's nice out the cops can be in sneaky spots...

Yeah, I use the merrit (rt 15) turns into the Hutchinson PKWY which takes you almost into the city.

The merrit/hutch run parrallel to 95 so if there is horrible traffic you can easily take a different route. Only drawback to the parkways is that it is harder to split lanes (the road is tighter). If you are going on a Friday night or returning on Sunday afternoon (especially on Sundays), you are going to be tempted to split lanes when you are close to the city. I generally don't split lanes on the parkway because of the tightness and the traffic is less predictable, but I've never had a problem filtering on 95.

Don't forget your easy pass (if you have one), it makes the tolls much easier to deal with.

Also, I park my bike right on the street. If you are in halfway decent neighborhood your bike should be okay (I bring a light bike cover which helps). Of course, who is going to bother a sportster.

One more thing, I usually fill up with gas before I get to close to the city. Not a hugh amount of gas stations in the city (actually it only seems that way when you are trying to get the fuck out of Manhatten with a horrible hangover on a hot summer day and you are leaving hours later than you planned, but hey what other way is there to leave NYC.). If you need gas, 1st Ave is a good area to look for filling stations.

Damn Wook. Sounds like you've done this trip many times over.
    I usually take 95 cause I'm cagin it. This time the ricer will be heading down.
    Are there tolls on the Merrit?

Thanks

08 Ape RSV1000R

My ex girlfriend lived in NYC. I don't make the trip as much now, thank god. (edit to say, not because of the ride).

It is pretty difficult to get into Manhatten without paying tolls (no worries on 15 though). I think there is one route, but it is not worth it (and I don't know it well enough to take it and it takes you through a sketchy neighborhood). Pretty much all the bridges have tolls and I hate taking my gloves off or trying to fumble with cash and the change at tolls. I find it less stressfull to use the ez pass, but it is really not that big a deal to use cash (just don't spend your last dime on Saturday night). The triboro requires you to come to pretty much a complete stop (gated toll). You can keep the ez pass in your jacket pocket/tank bag and take it out with gloves on after you stop.

I stongly suggest the bike cover if you are leaving yours on the street. However, if this is once in a long while trip and you are bringing your new bike (sounds like it), you can always find a garage (you will sleep better, if you actually sleep). Usually 40-65 bucks per 24 hours, some places will cut you a deal on the bike (or suggest you park on the street which started my parking on the street). Don't park in a metered spot without paying, you might get a ticket and NYC tickets are no joke. However, it is usually easy to find non-metered/legal parking unless you are trying to stay in times square (parking perpendicular to the curb between cars is not a problem in non-metered areas).

Also, 95 close to the city and FDR have a lot of bumps. Nothing major, but worth knowing.

I don't want to stress you out, I'm just giving you all the info I have. Personally, unless it was raining, I always took the bike to the city. Enjoy!

Last edited by wookie; 06-26-07 at 09:37 PM.

I'll be missing the Triboro bridge. And my buddy has a parking garage in his condo building. Even though I don't need to pay to park there, I usually throw the guy and extra $40 bones for the weekend.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    The SPD3 isn't coming down I'm gonna take the 636. The windscreen really cuts down on the fatigue.

08 Ape RSV1000R