Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Roadside assistance plans

Roadside assistance plans

After my recent little break down I want to add a roadside assistance plan for my motorcycle. Curious what other riders are using, so far I've looked into AAA, AMA and Progressive Insurance's plan.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Roadside assistance plans

I've got mine with Progressive, $10 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dutch- View Post
    I've got mine with Progressive, $10 per month.
    Have you used it? What does it cover/not cover?

I have AMA, don't think you can beat the price. $50/yr for your membership and it includes roadside. For your cars and bikes, and spouse. I just used it to get a tow to repair shop, it took a while for them to find a provider but for my situation it was fine. All the features are on theit website, I think it's very comparable to AAA except in tow distance. Tow companies are less likely to want to take the call is the impression that I got from my driver though.

We used AMA once for a car breakdown. We couldn't find anyone to come get it under AMA so we just used who the state police called. We submitted the bill to AMA and had a check in full in about a week.

Jeff

Buy a Yamaha, and carry a little tire repair/inflate kit...end of story

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I ran out of gas at 1 AM, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Have you used it? What does it cover/not cover?
    Yes, I've used it. From my contract:

PART V - ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE COVERAGE

INSURING AGREEMENT - ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE COVERAGE
    If you pay the premium for this coverage, we will pay for our authorized service representative to provide the following services when necessary due to a covered emergency:
    1. towing of a covered disabled motorcycle to the nearest qualified repair facility;
    and
    2. labor on a covered disabled motorcycle at the place of disablement.
    If a covered disabled motorcycle is towed to any place other than the nearest qualified repair facility, you will be responsible for any additional charges incurred.

INSURING AGREEMENT - TRIP INTERRUPTION COVERAGE
    If you pay the premium for this coverage, we will reimburse interruption expenses as described below when a covered motorcycle is disabled due to mechanical break-down or a covered comprehensive or collision loss, even if you have not paid the
    premium for Comprehensive Coverage or Collision Coverage under this policy.
    For this coverage to apply, the disablement must occur more than 100 miles from the insured’s primary residence.
    When a covered motorcycle is disabled, interruption expenses consist of the follow-
    ing:
    1. up to $100 per day for lodging;
    2. up to $50 per day for meals; and
    3. up to $50 per day for alternate transportation.
    Coverage is limited to $500 per disablement. Payment of Trip Interruption benefits will not obligate us to make any payment under any other coverage in this policy.

ADDITIONAL DEFINITIONS
    When used in this Part V:
    1. “Covered disabled motorcycle” means a covered motorcycle for which this
    coverage has been purchased that sustains a covered emergency.
    2. “Covered emergency” means a disablement within 100 feet of a road or highway that is a result of:
    a. mechanical or electrical breakdown;
    b. battery failure;
    c. insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water, or other fluid;
    d. flat tire;
    e. lock-out; or
    f. entrapment in snow, mud, water or sand.

EXCLUSIONS - READ THE FOLLOWING EXCLUSIONS CAREFULLY. IF AN
    EXCLUSION APPLIES, COVERAGE WILL NOT BE AFFORDED UNDER THIS
    PART V.
    Coverage under this Part V will not apply to:
    1. the cost of purchasing parts, fluid, lubricants, fuel or replacement keys, or the labor to make replacement keys;
    2. installation of products or materials not related to the disablement;
    3. labor not related to the disablement;
    4. labor on a covered disabled motorcycle for any time period in excess of 60 minutes per disablement;
    5. towing or storage related to impoundment, abandonment, illegal parking, or other violations of law;
    6. towing from a service station, garage, or repair shop;
    7. labor or repair work performed at a service station, garage, or repair shop;
    8. vehicle storage charges;
    9. a second service call or tow for a single disablement;
    10. disablement that occurs on roads not regularly maintained, sand beaches, open fields, or areas designated as not passable due to construction, weather, or earth movement;
    11. tire repair;
    12. repeated service calls for a covered disabled motorcycle in need of routine
    maintenance or repair; or
    13. disablement that results from an intentional or willful act or action by you, a relative, or the operator of a covered disabled motorcycle.

UNAUTHORIZED SERVICE PROVIDER
    When service is rendered by a provider in the business of providing roadside assistance and towing services, other than one of our authorized service representatives, we will pay only reasonable charges, as determined by us, for:
    1. towing of a covered disabled motorcycle to the nearest qualified repair facility; and
    2. labor on a covered disabled motorcycle at the place of disablement;
    which is necessary due to a covered emergency.

OTHER INSURANCE
    Any coverage provided under this Part V for service rendered by an unauthorized service provider will be excess over any other collectible insurance or towing protection coverage.

I've had the AMA roadside assistance coverage since they started providing it for free with auto-renewal of membership. I'm a Life Plus (25+yrs) member, so renewal is $29 including the roadside assistance. IT's $49 for the standard membership. I've never had to use, but my wife and one daughter have (flat tires both times, I think) and the service responded quick, changed the tires, and sent them on the way no charge (as expected). So I've been satisfied with the program so far.

Just be sure to keep a copy of the current card in each vehicle so anyone using it has the Roadside Assistance telephone number handy and can prove the AMA membership is valid.

AMA Roadside Assistance Program

This benefit is available for no extra charge when you sign up for auto-renewal of your AMA membership! Coverage for all your vehicles in your household, including motorcycles, cars, trucks, RVs and even trailers!

Vehicles
    Automobiles, motorcycles, motorhomes and trailers are covered.

Towing Services
    Towing services are covered up to 35 miles to the nearest qualified service facility (or to any other location requested by the member of equal distance at no expense to the member). If over 35 miles, the member is only responsible for the overages incurred after the 35-miles coverage.

Service Limitations

AMA Roadside Assistance is your safety net for mechanical breakdowns with your motorcycles and other vehicles. Commercial trailers are, however, excluded.
    Only one service call for the same service type within seven days

• Example: One tow per seven days, one lockout per seven days, one jumpstart per seven days, etc.
    • Member can have more than one service call within a seven-day period, but it cannot be the same service.

AMA 24-Hour Roadside Assistance Services
    All roadside services are covered at no expense to the member.
    Battery Service/Vehicle Won’t Start

• Jump start service.
    • If motorcycle with battery failure, we will tow motorcycle (up to towing coverage listed earlier).

Flat-tire Assistance

• Flat tire change (to spare).
    • If no spare (for motorcycle), we can tow the vehicle (up to towing coverage listed earlier).

Fuel, Oil, Fluid and Water Delivery Service

• Fuel – unleaded or diesel fuel.
    • Fluids – water, oil, or other fluid.
    • Member pays provider for fuel/fluid itself.
    • Member will not pay for service call charge for provider to deliver to the breakdown location.

Lock-out Assistance

• If keys locked inside vehicle – we will send out provider to unlock vehicle.
    • If a locksmith is necessary to assist with key in trunk and if the locksmith can access trunk release from inside vehicle, it will be covered.
    • If no access to a trunk release or a key needs to be made – provider pays for the cost of the service charge for locksmith to go out to the location but member is responsible for cost of key and labor associated with making key.
    • If lockout service is unsuccessful, provider will tow the vehicle (up to towing coverage listed earlier).

Mobile Mechanic Assistance (for RV vehicles)

• Program covers service call for Mobile Mechanic to go out to the location.
    • Does not cover cost of parts, labor/repair, lubricants, installation or materials necessary to complete repair work on site.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

I've had to use AMA for my bike. They sent a flatbed and strapped it down. You can't beat the price!

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    It is.................
    Smart ass!

AMA - I've used it a few times for my car with no problems

I also have a $4 a year or something add-on to my auto policy with State Farm. Basically, do what you need to do and submit the bill for reimbursement.

Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281