Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Roadside Sobriety test last night....( long read)

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Roadside Sobriety test last night....( long read)

So I made the 1.5 hr ride last nite to have my new tires put on the bike. went riding and went to dinner with a buddy afterwards. Had 1 16oz Blue Moon with dinnerand jumped back on the bike to head home. it was about 54deg last night here in MA/NH and I was wearing my leather (no liner) gloves helm boots and jeans. it was pretty damn chilly and the whole ride is highway. I just wanted to get home and warm up in my bed and my speed averaged between 80-95. about an hr into the ride home i blasted by 2 Staties in the median at about 90ish. Radar detector never went off... hmm

i dropped the speed back to 75 (traffic speed) and the first cruiser, unmmarked no lights on, came up behind me and passed me on the left. Probably grabbing my plate in case i tried to run. the 2nd cruiser came up behind me and pulled me over. had my helm off by the time the officer came over and asked me if i knew why. now anyone who has ridden a rocket or any bike for an extended period of time on a cold night knows ur knees get really stiff ur nose is running and you are shivering etc.. this officer right from the start thought i was seriously messed up. he kept drilling me asking me time and again how much i had to drink where i was coming from, how long i had been on the road etc.

So this is where he asks me to get of the bike and take the test. Upon getting off the bike i inform him that i have my knife clipped to my right pocket and he asks if he can take it and i allow him to. first up... follow the pen with you eyes. so with a runny nose shivering, stiff joints etc i follow his pen with just my eyes for ever!! literally 4-5 mins barely wanting to blink or even breathe. just trying not to shiver and send the wrong signal. once thats done he tells me that my eyes are telling him that i am blasted!! WTF!!! there is no way. asks me if i have done any drugs etc... AGAIN! i politely (in my head) explain to him that i repair and maintain medical equipment for a living and drugs are the last thing i do and he thinks im getting fresh with him... so on to walking the line 9 steps heel to toe then turn on the planted foot and then 9 steps, counting out loud, heel to toe back. now I am getting nervous and the adrenaline is flowing and im still cold. the planted foot turn was a bit shakey and unnatural feeliing but all in all that went without a hitch. Again he drills me about what i had to drink etc.

Now on to the stand on one foot looking at the raised toe and counting out loud 1-1thousand until he says to stop. by now i am so nervous and worried that he just thinks im messed up so bad that im goin in cuffs nomatter what... my mind is racing. im thinking so much that i went ahead and started before he told me to... Im fucked i think. I reset, clear my head and start when he says go... all they way to 22-1 thousand. didnt waver didnt put my foot down. and i think this is it if he still thinks im blasted after that then he was just out to get someone.

He pulls my license and reg outta his pocket, hands it back to me confirms with the other statie that was watching the whole time that i am clear and tells me that i am free to go and that he didnt have his radar on but if he had i would probably be getting a ticket!!

i thank him, shake his hand and ask for my knife back. i took my time gearing back up on the bike to let my nerves settle put my signal on and got outta there. got home and went to bed just like i had wanted to.

Had i tried to run they woulda been waiting at home and god knows what woulda happened. while writing this and thinking back had i been as messed up as he was trying to tell me i was i dont believe that i coulve put this much detail into remembering what happened. how was your thursday night? lol

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Roadside Sobriety test last night....( long read)

Wow, that had to be nerve wracking.

I remember I once got a breathalyzer test when I was 17, fun times.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Wow, reading that I felt I was right there for every second of it.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Roadside sobriety test is a flawed indicator of intoxication, at best. You know you weren't drinking, so you could opt for the mobile breathalizer instead, blow zeroes, and be on your way in half the time.

edit: I'm not sure if this rule applies to NH though.

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Good write up. My only comment...poor judgement in what you were wearing and what you were drinking.

If you had planned on riding home in the cold, and not had a 16oz beer, you're story would have ended the same but would have been far less stressful.

Wonder if any of those thoughts have taken hold as lessons????!!!!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by RIZXVIR View Post
    So I made the 1.5 hr ride last nite to have my new tires put on the bike. went riding and went to dinner with a buddy afterwards. Had 1 16oz Blue Moon with dinnerand jumped back on the bike to head home. it was about 54deg last night here in MA/NH and I was wearing my leather (no liner) gloves helm boots and jeans. it was pretty damn chilly and the whole ride is highway. I just wanted to get home and warm up in my bed and my speed averaged between 80-95. about an hr into the ride home i blasted by 2 Staties in the median at about 90ish. Radar detector never went off... hmm
    Quote Originally Posted by SVenpointsixtwo View Post
    Roadside sobriety test is a flawed indicator of intoxication, at best. You know you weren't drinking, so you could opt for the mobile breathalizer instead, blow zeroes, and be on your way in half the time.
    edit: I'm not sure if this rule applies to NH though.

Uh...but he had been drinking....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

1 beer over an hour and a half is nowhere near enough to impair a 5'10" 170lb person... the only thing i couldve done differently as far as gear was to have had my liner in my leather... i hadnt expected the temps to drop as low as they did last night given wed nites temps. i also didnt expect to be out as late as i had been but fatigue wasnt an issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    I've had a beer and blown zeros...it's definitely possible, and worth the shot. He even said it was an hour into his ride.

I was pulled over in my car when I was much younger... after having 3 beers, with some food over the course of about 2 hours. I was not even buzzed.

Anyway, cop asks me how much I've had to drink and I answered, "umm, about 1 beer".

He says, "step out of the car please".

I passed and was let go, but I guess I should have said ONE... not "about 1".

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

For future reference... cops are human too. Just level with the guy. Tell him you're freezing your ass off, offer to submit to the breathalyzer in order to clear things up. If you have an open, cooperative attitude, most cops will be a little easier-going.

--mark

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

It could have been a lot worse if you had bumped into Bambi at 85-90.

I predict this thread will go downhill pretty quickly.

For me, a night ride in chilly temps after a long day dictates more gear and less speed.

Also, no alcohol when going near the bike.

All I'm trying to do is tilt the odds a little in my favor, not tell you what to do.

Motorcycling is an exercise in managing risk.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Everyone has a different thought process at different times. OP, thanks for posting the experiencing, good information. Let's not create an atmosphere where people are afraid to post things like this, it really does help us all.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Having a beer, yes. "Drinking," no. After an hour you'd be hard pressed to blow over 10mg%.

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

I never drink and ride...even if its 1 beer- 1 hour ago.

Lifer

This on 101? My advice is to not do 90+ on 101. I know it's tough, but State enforcement out there is pretty healthy. Especially in the summer.

I won't lie, I've had one at a restaurant and then climbed on the bike. I am doing that far less and less these days though. If for no other reason than because $5 + tax is a lot for a beer I can enjoy for $1 at home.

I've never been subjected to a sobriety test, fortunately. I'm not sure I could pass stone sober, I have shitty balance. Get me even one iota tired, cold, or stiff and it just gets worse.

Whenever I get pulled over it is always adversarial. I naturally close up and start to mentally prepare for the worst. I've seen some of you in action and admire how disarming and cooperative you guys can become. I wish I were more like that.

My missus is like this too. She's gotten us out of a ticket or two by not being a dick, like I do.

I also do stupid things I'd never, ever consciously do. For example once when I was in my teens I was pulled over for 5 over. The officer questioned me about a portable CD player I had on the passenger seat. Rather than explaining in words, I turned away from him and reached down to show it to him. He about shit a brick, probably thought I was reaching for a weapon. Stupid as hell, and not conducive to keeping the situation calm.

It's kinda funny that he thought you were on drugs. I can just imagine the sniffling and red face.

you got off easy I think....they had to give you a hard time you know for going that fast....

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

i've been pulled out of a car and forced to do a roadside sobriety test. i passed even after calling the female officer "sir" followed by a quick "uh, ma'am" b/c i was nervous. the nervousness alone makes them tough to do while sober - nevermind shivering and stiff from riding.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    It could have been a lot worse if you had bumped into Bambi at 85-90.

For me, a night ride in chilly temps after a long day dictates more gear and less speed.

Also, no alcohol when going near the bike.

All I'm trying to do is tilt the odds a little in my favor, not tell you what to do.

Motorcycling is an exercise in managing risk.
    agree on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SVenpointsixtwo View Post
    Roadside sobriety test is a flawed indicator of intoxication, at best.
    It is... and it sucks for the cops and the accused. A DUI counts for more than just alcohol too, so I doubt the officer will just let you take the breathalyzer and be on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyZ View Post
    I never drink and ride...even if its 1 beer- 1 hour ago.
    Good. I never drank and rode either. But... I did play the 1hour/beer game on occasion when driving. DO NOT ever count on that. You will get in trouble, especially if you have any sort of tolerance and drink mixed drinks. The 1hour per beer is only good if you've only had a single beer and it is a 4.x% 12oz drink (which almost none are now - In this case, BlueMoon = 5.4% and 16oz>12oz). When you start doing the 3 drinks 3 hours etc, there is no consistency and it does not work. Being 'fine to drive' and passing the field sobriety checks does not matter either. What the officer thinks goes. How deep your pockets are decides how far that goes. I HATE people that go out drinking and drive. I feel bad for the people that gamble with having a few with dinner and are 'fine to drive home'.

im ok with ONE normal sized beer with dinner on the bike or in the car if it is going to be a leisurely ride home. If I plan on speeding, then i dont have any. Its just my rule and suits me. Basically, this is the be-smart rule of thumb. I can definitely understand the no beer on the bike anytime rule, as thats how it is for me most of the time.

Im stoked that you got off with no ticket! It is super nerve wracking dealing with the 5-0 especially if you know you were speeding or whatever. Remaining calm and cool is certainly tough. You did well pointing out your knife and taking off your lid.

Glad you made it home safely!

Last edited by NeverlosT; 05-18-12 at 11:07 AM.
    Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

I didnt post this up looking for sympathy it was more of an informative write up of what happened. this all occourred on 95N just before the 16/4 split. I did inform the officer that i was cold and stiff tho that did not appear to affect his decision at all. he was a young trooper probably early to mid 30's maybe he had something to prove to the other trooper who was observing i dunno... other than the speed i wasnt driving erratic or dangerously ie weaving in and out of traffic etc. and i could easily hold a straight line wasnt weaving in my lane. oh well im just gonna chalk it up as another experience and learn from it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Good read.

I don't think you or the officer did anything wrong in this occurrence, the situation worked out correctly, you were not driving while under the influence and you did not get an OUI. Only thing that should have happened was you getting a speeding ticket

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

had he given e a ticket i wouldve taken it with no contest but since he stated without me asking that he wasnt going to im not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth lol

Thanks for sharing your experience... I am glad that everything worked out.
    I agree with those who have the "no alcohol" stance. No matter whether it is 1 beer/hour or less, you still open yourself up to additional risk.
    We can all agree that there is already considerable risk in our sport... why add to it by having a drink and then going for a ride.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RIZXVIR View Post
    he was a young trooper probably early to mid 30's maybe he had something to prove to the other trooper who was observing i dunno... other than the speed i wasnt driving erratic or dangerously .
    There's a lot of stuff in this sentence...

I had an interesting, similar experience last summer.

It was around last call (1am here) on a week night and i was out with my g/f. I had 2 drinks at the bar, an Irish coffee and a Makers Mark and Coke. I was at the bar for probably an hour and a half and had work in the morning, so i stopped at 2 drinks. It was a beautiful night and neither of us wanted to head home yet, so we walked back to her house, jumped on my motard and decided to head to the beach and watch the waves for a bit and relax, maybe have a little sex and head home for the night.

Because it was unplanned i only had one helmet and no glasses, so i gave her the helmet and rode the 2-3 miles @ 30mph (25mph speed limit roads) without eye protection. The beach was obviously closed so i just rode between the guard rail and the gate, made it about 50 feet into the lot and a spotlight came out of nowhere. Awesome. I immediately turned around, rode over to the police, got off the bike and approached their car with my hands casually raised, apologized for attempting to go to the beach after hours and told them we would be on our way. This was about 2-2:30AM, a solid 3 hours after i had my first drink, and over an hour after finishing the second. I was dead sober, but i wasn't going to be on my way anytime soon.

First the cop asked me about smoking pot. "No officer, i haven't been smoking anything, i just rode a couple miles without eye protection so i'm teary eye'd from the wind." This lead to "Have you had anything to drink this evening"...Being dead sober and not wanting to deal with the situation, i responded "No, nothing at all". The cop continued to grill me for a few minutes about where i was coming from, what i'd had to drink, etc. He told me he smelled beer (since when does beer smell like whiskey? Clearly he didn't smell anything and was just fishing) and then he and his jerk-off partner put me against the cop car and searched me thoroughly, including the always pleasurable pat on the sausage. Frustrated that he didn't find anything, out came the pen for the "sobriety test"...

He made one pass with the pen and told me it was pointless to finish the test because i already failed...but not to worry, he was going to "give me a huge break" by making me leave my bike in the beach parking lot over night, and call a cab for a ride home. It took about 45 minutes for a cab to get there, and he was waiting on the only road out of the area so i couldn't just get on the bike and go home another way.

I didn't get home until after 4am, and had to go back to the beach first thing in the morning to pick the bike up before work. What a pain in the ass. Throughout the whole thing i was relatively polite, figuring if i was a dick he'd find a reason to arrest me. Clearly he was willing to lie for a reason to search, why would he stop there if i pissed him off? Swallowing my pride > getting arrested for something stupid and having to fight it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast