Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Who rode today?

Lifer

Question Who rode today?

Finally had a chance to ride in to my new job today.

All I have to say is that heated jacket rocks! My SV apparently doesn't put out a lot of electrical power at low RPM, so I wasn't super-warm till I got on the highway... then I got on 128 and in about 1/3 of a mile I was sweating.

And I can see my bike from my office.

Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Who rode today?

Get on yer bike folks, looks like snow in the forcast for Boston area. This means the plowers who upgraded and lost their shirt last year will be jonesin' to get out and pay for the new blade. Sanders will follow....

That is, assuming we get snow. Forcasters aren't the most accurate 'round here.

On y'go. -Jack

'02 Duc MS4
    "Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter-Accusations"

Re: Who rode today?

Originally posted by benSV
    Finally had a chance to ride in to my new job today.

All I have to say is that heated jacket rocks! My SV apparently doesn't put out a lot of electrical power at low RPM, so I wasn't super-warm till I got on the highway... then I got on 128 and in about 1/3 of a mile I was sweating.

And I can see my bike from my office.

Ben
    Ben, keep an eye on your voltage, you should be putting out plenty even at an idle, even if you just plugged into the battery, with the motor not running your jacket should heat.

Remember this though, electrics don't heat instantaniously, it takes them 10-15 minutes to get up to temperature, maybe that coinsided with when you got on the highway.

Good to hear somebody's still riding. Cold weather is inconvenient for me to commute cause of how long extra it takes to get dressed, from now on, my winter riding will be limited to weekends & holidays.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Who rode today?

Hmm.. perhaps. It's only like 15 miles to work, there is traffic, so maybe it did correspond with 15 minutes. I know it seemed like a dramatic warm-up, because I'm normally used to "twist... freeze" and this was "twist... roast".

I was hoping you'd respond Randy, do you see this with effect? The jacket definitely puts out heat at idle, but it does seem like it heats up as you rev the engine. (Not noticeable if you sit there and rev the engine when you're stopped, but if you nail it while riding you'll feel it after a little delay. ) Also, I know you said you keep your bike plugged into a battery tender while it's in the garage, did you have trouble with the battery draining down from all your accessories?

As for whether I'll keep riding, I think I'm probably going to still put the bike away for Dec-Jan-Feb, but it is tempting to just keep it insured all winter and hope for some days with clear roads.

Ben

Who rode today?

Hmmm, sounds like someone needs a REGULATOR!!!

Experience, that is what is speaking.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Lifer

Who rode today?

If you mean the one for the jacket, I have one...

If you're talking about some extra electrical junk to attach to the bike... ?

Ben

Who rode today?

Na, OEM electrical junk.

My Katana needs a regulator. The symptoms: overcharging the battery, weakening it, boiling out the fluid. My headlamp barely lights, then when she fires up it lights up like no tomorrow. Kinda reminded me of your suit.

My reg. is about $110 and is a pain to get to.
    I just buy a new battery every year or two, keep her on the trickle charger in the meantime. I really should get a new reg. because handling battery acid all the time sucks.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Lifer

Who rode today?

Hmm.. thanks.. my headlight does light up a little when you rev the bike while it's idling, but not much, and I've never had any issues with the bike starting, etc.. so I'd be surprised if it's over/undercharging the battery.

I'll check the manual tonight though.

Thanks,
    Ben

Who rode today?

One thing I can recommend is a V-1 Radar detector, it is so suseptable to fluxuations in voltage, it will let you know

HERE's MY theory of MC charging systems, first, with a few exceptions, they are unlike automotive charging systems that regulate the voltage & alternator output by regulating field strength. Bike alternators are permenant "field magnets" rotating inside a stationary "stator" coil of wound wire. the faster it turns, the more electricity produced, the excess is grounded out in the voltage regulator/rectifier, and dissapated as heat, why in hell do manufacurers hide them under the tail with very little ventilation I think that the SV suffers in this area, but not as bad as VFR's from what I understand. Any thing you can do air flow wise, (Ive even heard of putting computer fans on them) will help, but, the system is destine to fail by design eventually.

I also believe that any electricity that you use for accessories is electricitty that doesn't have to get dissapated as heat by the RR, run as many accessories as you can till you start to blow fuses if you have things wired correctly

I realy don't have much extra for accessories, radar detector, 5 watts, heated grips, 22 watts, and vest, 44 watts, I don't have high output headlight, (I would like to get a set of Hella4000 HID cornering lamps, $750. 350 watts worth of light for only 70 watts)

I say you should try to use as close to the maximum output of your alternator as possible

RandyO
    IBA#9560

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

Who rode today?

To ride today it would have to be like this:

Last edited by Rice-rocket1; 01-31-07 at 10:46 PM.
    My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

Who rode today?

Thanks zombie.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

Who rode today?

Or like this:

Last edited by Rice-rocket1; 01-31-07 at 10:46 PM.
    My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

Lifer

Who rode today?

Snow is good.

I got to pucker factor 5 once last night on the way home. Low speed but a pretty decent slide going around a corner.

Now I can't decide whether to go mountain biking tomorrow. I think I will go even though it snowed, it's kind of a day-after-thanksgiving tradition.

Ben

11/26/02 ride

Welll - I got out yesterday for an hour or so (as the sun was setting). The roads were pretty dry but late in the day things did seem to get slick in the turns.

I'm with Bensv-MTB ride day after T-day. This is tradition. I did go for a night (2 hour) MTB ride last Friday. If you have never been night riding....you should give it a shot. Your world is the beam of light on the twisty trails-woohooo.

PD

Who rode today?

MTB on Thanksgiving? Guess it's not just my tradition either. Used to do Blue Hills, although the snow is accumulating right now.

Night riding is very cool. Trails you think you know every inch of look very different and timing is all out of wack for a bit. Lot's of fun.

'02 Duc MS4

I agree

Night riding throws everything out of whack-

Hey Shredhed-Otis must be OK right now...I love those trails. They would be pretty cool at night-just have to watch out for a AF Humvee chasing you

Re: I agree

Originally posted by Pearldog
    Hey Shredhed-Otis must be OK right now...I love those trails. They would be pretty cool at night-just have to watch out for a AF Humvee chasing you
    Otis is a blast...fast rolling hills. I've only been there a few times.
    Yes, very cool at night, and no snow over the Winter. Nah, those AF guys aren't gonna chase you, would be more fun if they did.
    Bring extra brake pads, all that sand wipes them out.

Cheers,
    -jack

'02 Duc MS4

Who rode today?

I've seen both those photos and much more on this site

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I Dance With Will

The cops rode today.

and saw a mopad.

"fuckit!"

Who rode today?

i went riding last night... after one block there were icicles on the family jewels so i thought i better get it home.

I just had to try out my new eyes on the road... and top of the tanks so i could put in the sta-bil for the long winter nap.

its so nice being able to see...

without glasses.

Lifer

Who rode today?

Got your eyes zapped, did ya?

I'd love to do that... hasn't seemed worth it yet, my eyes aren't that bad, but the sports benefits would be nice.

e.x. I lost a pair of glasses kayaking in September, that SUCKED, cause I was up in VT, and I had to get someone to drive me around and find someone who would give me an eye exam and then go get glasses quick, all on a Sunday.

Ben

Who rode today?

it worked well for me. i got tired of glasses for sports reasons mostly as well.

under $1200 for both eyes up in canada. would have been less but they had to correct astigmatism's in both eyes.

its done now and i love the results.

I Dance With Will

I thought you were talking about lenses.

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    it worked well for me. i got tired of glasses for sports reasons mostly as well.

under $1200 for both eyes up in canada. would have been less but they had to correct astigmatism's in both eyes.

its done now and i love the results.
    xray eye correction for under $1200? what's name of the place? around here they want about $4k.

"fuckit!"

Who rode today?

i went to LasikMD.

www.lasikmd.ca
    without an astigmatism and the zero compression keratome... its like $800-900 for basic lasik.

I went to see Dr. Andrew Taylor in Niagara Falls cause he has the best track record and the most expeience in North America. And he has certification with the best laser equipment. (The FDA is pretty far behind in what they will allow to be used in the US)

if anyone decides to check it out, LasikMD also has an office in Montreal and a bunch of other places. If you go get it done, i can get referral credit, so make sure you give them my name....
    Brent Forman!!!!!

Brrrrrrr

I got out today for an hour (3-4PM) but on my road bike (the pedal kind)-not too bad. The SV is ready to go for a spin-although it is covered, has a full tank plus Stabil and is resting on a rear stand and plywood.

Pearldog