Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Just checked out the Duc 999

Well,
    Like they say, the pictures doesn't do it justice in the Mags...
    It's a very well though out platform. Valve adjustment is a lot easier now, the cap comes off, and boom boom you are done!
    Double sided swingarm, chain goes thru it. Radial Brembos, Very Light and narrow between the legs, throttle seems to have no glitches what so ever. Monoposto, allows for seat adjustment, while Biposto doesn't. Killer shift light, doubles as alarm warning system.
    Keys have a chip in them, plus all pieces that make up the electrics in the pod up front have to match or this bike is not gonna start. I think I could actually last about an hour in the saddle, where as the 996 had me looking for a rest stop a half hour in.
    The fairing has aerodynamic mods (slats) to the sides, supposedly good for another 6 mph at top. The exhaust keeps your ass nice and warm, I bet it sucks in the summer though. It has a cat-con (catalytic converter) in the pipe, on the long run front cylinder, and the other cat is in the muffler for the rear cylinder. I Got to see it with the fairings pulled, and everything is packaged nicely, and easy to get to.
    Over all impression, I'll give it a 8.5, with reservations about the "ass" cooker of a seat.....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Dammit now I gotta go see one.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

I saw one down at moto italia in worcester... I gotta say that while it's no doubt an amaxing bike, the 996 looked better. the 999 is super pointy, and those little wingy things (I believe you called them aerodynamic slats) look pretty goofy (they say that they move in at speed, diverting less air to the radiator and lowering drag...) of course, I've never ridden either, so I can't say anything about that

Lifer

Has anyone heard if any of the crazy bodywork was also intended to try and reduce lift/generate downforce?

Some of that stuff sounds crazy. (I know I saw some article about Yamaha trying to study bikes in wind tunnels to try and create downforce (or at least keep the bike clean) while it was leaned over.

Ben

Originally posted by benSV
    Has anyone heard if any of the crazy bodywork was also intended to try and reduce lift/generate downforce?

Some of that stuff sounds crazy. (I know I saw some article about Yamaha trying to study bikes in wind tunnels to try and create downforce (or at least keep the bike clean) while it was leaned over.

Ben
    Even though no one likes the TLR, and it got Squashed after one round of World Super Bike, and is considered inferior to most, It spent lots of time in the wind tunnel, and it also has a non lifting front end. It also was one of the firsts for gear driven camshafts, 2 stage fuel injection, 2 stage airboxes, and hockey pucks for pistons.
    Funny.....Honda and their new 600RR claims this is new...Maybe to them huh? Although the gear driven camshafts are for the Twins....

Just keeping the spirit of an old Ghost alive!

....................... PinHead's Avatar

It also was one of the firsts for gear driven camshafts,
    Hmmmmm, could that be why Stoneman scored his?

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Originally posted by PinHead
    Hmmmmm, could that be why Stoneman scored his?
    yeah, the dealership thought the cam chain fell off!

Ha Ha Ha!

What do you mean no one likes the TLR? I personally love it. The styling is A-1 and the power is great. The ass end needs cleaning up with an eliminator kit and the rear shock needs help but I love it and would love to get my hands on a low mile one when the time comes. Most people I speak with love it also, but usually end up with a cookie cutter GSXR or R1/6 (no offense owners). I personally can't wait to ride the ZX6RR or the new Honda F4, their adjustability is amazing.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

You mean like this?

Last edited by TLRMan; 05-05-07 at 11:18 PM.

Those aren't Marchesini's I see on there are they? NICE touch. I have PM's, but those things are sweet! A buddy of mine in San Diego did the 9r converion I am doing, a single sided swinger and gold marchesini's. The rims totally create some nasty looks and the less weight gets the bike spinning up really quickly.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

good eye il speek up yes nice trick huh

Originally posted by Rye
    Those aren't Marchesini's I see on there are they? NICE touch. I have PM's, but those things are sweet! A buddy of mine in San Diego did the 9r converion I am doing, a single sided swinger and gold marchesini's. The rims totally create some nasty looks and the less weight gets the bike spinning up really quickly.

Originally posted by Rye
    Ryan,
    Like the Beetster says, yup, Marchi's Magnesium. I also have the Afam 520 chain kit on it. Good for almost 18 lbs of unsprung weight. The rear rim is the TLR replacement, so all the stock gear, bolted up to it, the front is for a Gixxer, don't let my bike know that OK?
    Got some other goodies inside as well....

Speaking of Honda's and gear-driven cams, don't forget that the VFR has had them since '86 (until the 02 version, anyway).

BTW - I like both the TL & TL-R. Suzuki had it right, just wrong timing, or marketing - now reintroduced as the SV1000...

Tim B.
    Manchester, NH
    2002 Triumph Daytona 955i
    CSBA #256
    www.christiansportbike.com
    Jesus Rocks!