Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rode bike home from track day and got a ticket

Re: Rode bike home from track day and got a ticket

Some cops just have a hair across their ass when it comes to bikes. They'll look for anything to nail you on.
    Until cops start shutting down the left lane camping, they can't seriously enforce the passing on the right. Unless it is heavy traffic, you pass on the right then force your way back to the left. I must have passed 5 cars on the right yesterday coming back from RI. If I stayed behind the ones camping in the left, I would still be there.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    So I said "I didn't realize it but if thats what I did then i didn't mean to." Basic and respectable conversation both
    That's the exact moment where you talked yourself into the ticket.

He baited you with the dashcam line and you folded. It may or may not have been a lie, but either way he isn't bringing dashcam footage to traffic court for a lane violation. You should have done what everyone should do in that situation, shut the fuck up. You may have thought it was respectful conversation both ways, but it wasnt. He pulled you over for a bullshit non dangerous lane violation in the hopes of getting something more from it. He baited you and you all but confessed. At that point he pretty much has to write the ticket.

Banned

That sounded a bit like an attack on you. It isnt. I'm pissed you got a ticket and I feel sorry that you got stitched up.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It's only passing on the right if you cut back into the left lane immediately. If you go a couple car lengths before returning to the left lane or don't return to the left lane at all its not "passing"

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

On Sundays I stick to the far right lane as it is usually moving faster than the other two.

Sunday drivers think a bolt of lightning will strike them if they hit 71mph, so the concept of speeding up for a few seconds to complete a pass and get back in the middle lane is not on the agenda.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The MSP are enforcing a new law now on I-90 (Mass Pike). There are electric signs everywhere that say "Left lane travel is only allowed when passing". That's another way they'll nail bikes because most bikes I see stay in the fast lane the whole time they're on the Pike. It never ends with these traffic laws....

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
    It never ends with these traffic laws....
    “The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.” - Cornelius Tacitus

Lifer

The MSP are enforcing a new law now on I-90 (Mass Pike). There are electric signs everywhere that say "Left lane travel is only allowed when passing". That's another way they'll nail bikes because most bikes I see stay in the fast lane the whole time they're on the Pike. It never ends with these traffic laws....
    You mean enforcing an existing law? The left lane has been for passing since ... the dawn of highways. People have just been using it wrong, and enforcement has been minimal. Consider this a good thing, as they can focus on maintaining safe, proper driving over speeding. And it'll reduce the amount of people blocking the passing lane. Spread the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMMCBR View Post
    It's only passing on the right if you cut back into the left lane immediately. If you go a couple car lengths before returning to the left lane or don't return to the left lane at all its not "passing"
    Is this your opinion, or based on some interpretation of traffic law?

nedirtriders.com

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    You mean enforcing an existing law? The left lane has been for passing since ... the dawn of highways. People have just been using it wrong, and enforcement has been minimal. Consider this a good thing, as they can focus on maintaining safe, proper driving over speeding. And it'll reduce the amount of people blocking the passing lane. Spread the word.
    not to mention the possible reduction in aggressive driving/road rage.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Left lane for passing only varies by state.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    That sounded a bit like an attack on you. It isnt. I'm pissed you got a ticket and I feel sorry that you got stitched up.
    Nah no problem at all. I forgot a couple golden rules:
    Never admit guilt
    Don't talk too much
    You might not talk yourself out of it, but you can talk yourself into a ticket

A coworker had the same citation (or complaint as they call it). She plead not guilty, went to court, state lawyer reduced it to $60. Not sure of insurance impact though.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by BMMCBR View Post
    That's why I still don't think I passed on the right. When told me I passed on the right I said I did? in the form of a question. He seemed put out that I didn't realize it was a pass. Again probably somewhere between his judgment of it and mine is the reality. Maybe I can get it written down like my coworker did.

2013 ZX6R-636

I'd plead that you were traveling in the right lane and happened to pass the cars in the left lane.

its in my blood

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I'd plead that you were traveling in the right lane and happened to pass the cars in the left lane.
    hahahah i never woulda thought of that!!

so if you are in any lane other than the far left.. are you never pose to pass a car thats on your left ?? HAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I'd plead that you were traveling at the speed limit in the right lane and happened to pass the cars in the left lane.
    fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    hahahah i never woulda thought of that!!

so if you are in any lane other than the far left.. are you never pose to pass a car thats on your left ?? HAHAHAHA
    Exactly what I was getting at in my post.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

As others said, that's not a new law, it's been that way forever. Mass isn't the only place with those signs. There must have been at least 50 of these signs driving between Dallas and Austin on I-35 today:

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    As others said, that's not a new law, it's been that way forever. Mass isn't the only place with those signs. There must have been at least 50 of these signs driving between Dallas and Austin on I-35 today:
    That sign has zero relevance to whether or not passing on the right is legal. We have those signs here in MA too, however you can pass on the right on any multi-lane road.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    That sign has zero relevance to whether or not passing on the right is legal. We have those signs here in MA too, however you can pass on the right on any multi-lane road.
    Agreed, not relevant to the OP, but I was replying to (and quoted) SoH's post and the five replies on the MA signs and the topic of only using the left lane when passing. The point was that those signs aren't just a MA thing. I wouldn't have bothered but it was a recent thread tangent and was surprised by the number of signs along I-35E. And since I'm adding to my irrelevance - it seems like having signs every few miles worked better than one temporary electronic sign, there were very few cars 'parked' in the left lane.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12