Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rode a couple Ducati's this weekend, now I want one

Had a chance to put about 20 miles on an 1198 and 20 miles on a 999 Saturday on some freshly paved roads near the coast. The 1198 was about what I expected (I had ridden a 1098 streetfighter a couple years back at Moto Milano), tons of power and a beautiful bike in every way. The 999 was very different, but I really like the way this bike made it's power - smoothly. Both had Termi's and the sound was incredible. Getting back on my GSXR was painful, and it was one of those moments when you realize you really shouldn't have ridden someone else's bike because yours suddenly sucks.

So now I want a Ducati. I did own a TLR for several years and dont want anything to do with that bike or an RC51. I don't have much experience with Ducati's other than the two listed above and a short loop on a 748R a couple years ago (that bike was not for me). I think if I was going to buy a recent model it might be the Streetfighter though I'd have to ride it again. The only thing making me hesitate on that choice is the styling still strikes me as a bit wonky...I have seen some Monsters that look really good to me, but I am not familiar with the engine choices and which model would have the grunt at least similar to the 999. Any suggestions or is no Monster option going to compare?
    Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Rode a couple Ducati's this weekend, now I want one

Get a test ride on a Monster 1100DS....with full Termi's if possible. If that doesn't give you wood nothing willl! (Seacoast usually has an 1100DS available for test rides...)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

The StreetFighter is the 1098 engine, in a chassis that is designed to handle that power. It is a great bike to ride.
    The previous 4V option was the S4 Monster, which used the 999 engine in the last versions.
    They look good, and are good riding bikes as well, although they have just a little bit more power than handling; the Monster architecture doesn't put enough weight on the front for really hard riding.

The modern Monsters are still aircooled 2V engines, and have a very different power approach than the 999 and other watercooled 4V Ducatis. I prefer the old school setup. It's a lot less peak power than the 4V engines, but more torque and I think a better engine for street riding.

Ducati dealers are generally quite good about testrides; go see what you can try out.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    The StreetFighter is the 1098 engine, in a chassis that is designed to handle that power. It is a great bike to ride.

PhilB
    There is also an 848 StreetFighter that IMHO is a much more practical bike in almost every way over the 1098.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Test rode an 848 streetfighter, but I guess I am still partial to the race replica stuff. Though I did like the 796 Hypermotard, except for the rubber footpegs. Not sure if I would want the Hyper for my only bike though.

2013 ZX6R-636

xxaarraa

None of the Monsters will make similar to how the superbikes do. Monsters are great bikes, I had one for a long time, but Ducati superbikes are a whole another level. The 999 is a great bike, so is the 848/1098/1198 generation. Can't go wrong with any of the superbikes really.

I test rode Panigale and Streetfighter 848 and love the Streetfighter. I think both bikes are sick looking and very flickable. The Paniagle is uncomfortable and I would not want to ride as a everyday bike. It makes my R1 comfortable. I think heavily in getting a Streetfighter 848 or 1098. I have a 08 R1 right now.

SF848 didnt have enough power for me, Panigale is ugly as hell, Monsters look awesome, but not enough power...I am partial to trackdays and my SBK848 is lots of fun on the street, but it makes me ride too fast.

Id like to try a Diavel but thats even uglier than the Pani....Multi and Hyper dont compute in my brain.

Id love a Paul Smart rep.

Your corse version calls me to it every trip to my dealer's showroom. How many miles so far and what are your thoughs so far - besides fun on the street and riding too fast!

Thanks.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    SF848 didnt have enough power for me, Panigale is ugly as hell, Monsters look awesome, but not enough power...I am partial to trackdays and my SBK848 is lots of fun on the street, but it makes me ride too fast.

Id like to try a Diavel but thats even uglier than the Pani....Multi and Hyper dont compute in my brain.

This pretty much confirms what I was thinking, although I would like to try a few monsters before I buy. I guess the next logical step is to try both 848's. Not sure what the Paul Smart model is but I'll google it..
    Most importantly I am glad to be inspired by this past weekends test rides, I only had 30 miles on my bike for 2012. My lowest annual mileage since I got my license in 1990...wtf.

If i had to replace my 999, i would do so with an 848 evo.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post

Pretty neat bike but not something I'd have for my only ride. '72 was a great year so any bike commemorating that is cool!

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Get a test ride on a Monster 1100DS....with full Termi's if possible. If that doesn't give you wood nothing willl! (Seacoast usually has an 1100DS available for test rides...)
    Just checked these out online, and I love the styling (except for the passenger peg brackets!) Cant wait to ride one!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

the monster S4R is also an awesome bike. if i had dough to throw down on a duc id be seriously looking at one. ive ridden one around the track and it was great, very stable at speed and made great power. comfortable too

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

I would have to say that a Monster in stock form may not feel like enough power, but the moment you put that 14T sprocket in the front the bike is transformed. Even my 696 is terrific until about 70 mph - the power where you need it. I can just imagine what the 1100 would feel like with a lower front sprocket

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

An 848 doesn't have enough power? Really?

OP...you have an 07 GSX-R1000? (same as myself) and getting back on it was painful? Really? I'm failing to understand how. I've ridden a 916, which seemed pretty comparable to the 999. BUT, I didn't hammer on the 999, as it's owner, our very own Mr Bread, was on my bike and minutes after swapping rides, he was along side me motioning me to pull over, claiming he had to get off the gixxer 1k before he started doing wheelies and other stupid shit

I did however flog the piss out of the 916 and wasn't too impressed. It was fun to ride, but I'd never buy one, or a 998. And I'd not buy a 999. (No offense Bread). I do however need to ride an 1198 or 1199. Smooth power...how does a GSX-R not make smooth power? All 3 of mine did (94 and 01 750's, then the 07 1k). I've had my 1000 on the dyno and the curve is great. It makes a shitload of power, but it's quite controllable. It's also geared -1 +2. You certainly want to hang onto it, but it's smooth as silk and predictable.

Me thinks you were just bored with what ya have, something else renewed your interest and got ya excited all over again. Change of pace isn't bad, just curious why a someone with the same bike as myself has the completely opposite opinion. Perhaps I'm just a gear head, not everyone likes the power the 1000s make. I dunno. I do know one thing, the day I bought that bike in 2007, and every time I've ridden it since, a hammer would be required to remove the grin it puts on my face. Said grin didn't come with the 916. I think the 1198/99 would put a grin on my face, but the red bike would have a blue and white friend from Japan in the garage next to her. I'm really curious to see which I'd throw a leg over more than the other. Someday..

I'm not surprised in your findings in comparing a 916 to a GSXR1000.

There is a big difference between how the power's laid down by Ducati water cooled/4 valves and air cooled 2 valves. If what you want is mid range pull and +165 top end any of the 4 valves from the 996 on will get you there. But so will any inline 4 liter bike. If what you want is a deep throated musical note, low end smile pulling grunt, and comfortable ergos that make it fun to ride at reasonable speeds and easy to slam into the twisties at speed, the 1100dl motor in a monster can't be beat. I've had an FJ1200 and a CBR1100xx. I've also had a built ST2 (2 valve) that I put 72000 miles on before trading for my first Multi 1100. I still miss the power band of those two bikes! I also had a Monster 1100ds for a week and they had to pry it away from me. If I could talk my wife into one more bike that would be it. I love my current Multi 1200 Tour, but it's a different deal...!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA View Post
    An 848 doesn't have enough power? Really?
    The Streetfighter 848....yes really. It felt like an EX500 to me. And just so you know, the SF848 and SBK848 are completely different in feel...completely.

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Your corse version calls me to it every trip to my dealer's showroom. How many miles so far and what are your thoughs so far - besides fun on the street and riding too fast!

Thanks.
    Ive got about 1600 miles on it so far and I know this will sound corny...but I am in motorcycle nirvana with this machine. Its my 8th streetbike and I love it. Ive had MV Agustas, GSXRs, CBRs, RC51, etc....so this 848 is not the most powerful bike Ive ever had, but its the best package Ive ever had. I took it to 3 trackdays this summer and its awesome..the little Ducati rips! I LOVE the DQS(Ducati quickshifter) even though I bought the bike saying Id never use it. The DTC (traction control) it awesome in every way...the first trackday of this year was pouring rain for tye morning sessions and the DTC was shining!! When the sun came out and the track dryed up I just lowered the setting and baaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwrrrr...ripper!

Add to that an Ohlins rear shock(came with the Corse), I installed Termignoni pipes, the 330mm front brakes and the Corse paint scheme and its schwing!

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    OP...you have an 07 GSX-R1000? (same as myself) and getting back on it was painful? Really? I'm failing to understand how. I've ridden a 916, which seemed pretty comparable to the 999. BUT, I didn't hammer on the 999, as it's owner, our very own Mr Bread, was on my bike and minutes after swapping rides, he was along side me motioning me to pull over, claiming he had to get off the gixxer 1k before he started doing wheelies and other stupid shit

I did however flog the piss out of the 916 and wasn't too impressed. It was fun to ride, but I'd never buy one, or a 998. And I'd not buy a 999. (No offense Bread). I do however need to ride an 1198 or 1199. Smooth power...how does a GSX-R not make smooth power? All 3 of mine did (94 and 01 750's, then the 07 1k). I've had my 1000 on the dyno and the curve is great. It makes a shitload of power, but it's quite controllable. It's also geared -1 +2. You certainly want to hang onto it, but it's smooth as silk and predictable.

Me thinks you were just bored with what ya have, something else renewed your interest and got ya excited all over again. Change of pace isn't bad, just curious why a someone with the same bike as myself has the completely opposite opinion. Perhaps I'm just a gear head, not everyone likes the power the 1000s make. I dunno. I do know one thing, the day I bought that bike in 2007, and every time I've ridden it since, a hammer would be required to remove the grin it puts on my face. Said grin didn't come with the 916. I think the 1198/99 would put a grin on my face, but the red bike would have a blue and white friend from Japan in the garage next to her. I'm really curious to see which I'd throw a leg over more than the other. Someday..

Let me clarify: I bought a K7 1000 new and rode it for 2 years. Best bike I have ever owned. I also had a shitty zx6r track bike, and wanted a newer 600 to do both so I traded the 1k for a K7 600. It's also a great bike, but lacks midrange for street riding and I only did one track day with it. I am thinking the 600 should be a track only bike (assuming I'll start going again) and a Ducati might be a good street bike choice.

Not shitting on gsxr's in any way. I have owned several dating back to the old air/oil "slingshot" 750's, a 7/11, etc. But I'd be lying if I said I was happy to get back on the 600 after the Ducs. Two different animals.

Hate to suggest away from Ducati, but I'd look at a Tuono Factory with the slightly older twin. Doesn't have the glam and glitz as the Ducati name, but smooth and fast.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    But I'd be lying if I said I was happy to get back on the 600 after the Ducs.
    Oops. I looked at your profile on here which said 07 1k, I figured you were comparing that bike to the Ducs. I'd agree getting on something with less nut would make it rough, especially after owning the 1k for a couple years.