Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I rode a Harley

Re: I rode a Harley

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf650 View Post
    What I experienced first-hand (or rather, second-hand, since they were on a co-workers bike, but I saw the bike everyday, and helped him work on it):

Oil leaking from the heads within the first 3k miles

Speedometer failure within the first 3k miles (found to be a common issue)

Turn signals stopped working within the first 5k miles

Oil leaking from the lower crankcase at around 10k miles (found to be a common issue)

Fuel pump replaced twice in the first 12k miles (faulty fuel pumps had been reported online, but two was extreme)

And that's just the stuff I remember. The bike was a 2008 Sportster 1200. The first summer he owned it, the bike was in the shop for about 4 weeks total. Not exactly the way I'd want to spend my money (or my riding time).
    yowza! i had a 97 sporty for a spell, and beat the snot out of it. i also never had an issue. it had 36k on the clock when i got rid of it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I was at the Bean on sat checking out Harleys. I'm starting to like the look of the Softail Rockers. I just can't stomach the 14k-17K price tag. One of the guys there had one totally pimped out, almost looked like a custom chopper.

I love the look of a Suzuki M109 B. But that is one HEAVY ass bike.

I saw a bunch of harleys last weekend when I was riding around S. NH.
    One was being muscled onto a pickup truck on the side of the road by 4-5 guys.
    Another was sitting in a Dunkin Dounuts as the rider tried to work on it and the passenger sat sadly on the curb.

Didn't see any other brands, failed on the side of the road, but that could just mean that when they failed they flew so far off the road that no one could see them.....

Last edited by gadget; 03-22-10 at 02:01 PM.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I was at the Bean on sat checking out Harleys. I'm starting to like the look of the Softail Rockers. I just can't stomach the 14k-17K price tag. One of the guys there had one totally pimped out, almost looked like a custom chopper.

I love the look of a Suzuki M109 B. But that is one HEAVY ass bike.
    You didn't happen to ask what he had done to it did you? the rockers come from the factory pretty well built and chopper looking. I plan on adding one to the stable after this season is over.

professional lurker burtonboarder23's Avatar

I feel since noone else has said this...

You want a cookie???

Jk i rode a sportster last year, fun ride but not what i was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by crowspeed07 View Post
    You didn't happen to ask what he had done to it did you? the rockers come from the factory pretty well built and chopper looking. I plan on adding one to the stable after this season is over.
    I didn't talk to the guy but everything was chromed out, custom paintjob. I thought it was a custom chopper when he pulled in until my buddy said it was a rocker pimped out. I was like wow. Another one pulled in still stock, still looked nice. I'm not making any drastic decisions until I actually ride one. Not sure if it's what I'm looking for just yet. Still keeping the GSXR if I were to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Hop on a suzuki m109 if you want some low end grunt....one of my friends has one, hes a hefty one, so when he punches it the front end starts to hover. When a lighter person punches it, it leaves a 275mm wide strip.

Hold on tight.

Oh, and this bike has a 109ci motor and was purchased as you see for 10k from plaistow powersports with around 5k on the odometer. I'd be on this all day over a harley. Nothing against them, 2 of my friends have brand new streetglides and roadglides, and they sure are comfortable as hell...for 20 grand.

I agree I also have a friend with the 109r and it is very impressive

many a biker have been ruined by a wife and a full time job

Before I take my Harley for a ride....

I hook up the trailer to the truck and leave the keys under the mat for the poor bastid that has to come get me

Well....this year at least!! Twice I got stuck already. Eh...it's damn near as old as me...

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

I think the only one i would consider is an XR750, must be the lack of chrome i like.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

I rode 2 1200 sportsters last year. They had some power and were both FI. All I have to say is that they got up to speed pretty good and were comfy. If someone gave one to me for really cheap I might take it.

Have also ridden a M50 that had a modified exhaust and pegs were moved forward more. It was a nice ride too and had plenty of power. It surprised me that the engine actually wasn't bigger.

Last edited by csmutty; 03-22-10 at 05:26 PM.
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Y'know, I do really like the style of SOME Harley's and the comfort level when riding is excellent. But, to be completely honest I feel just as comfortable on my father's Shadow 750 so if I ever switched to a cruiser it would definitely not be a Harley. Save myself 5-10 G's.

2008 Ebony Special Edition ZX-6R
    1995 ZX-6 Red (SOLD)

I've ridden all kinds of Harleys from Sportsters to V-Rods and Softtails to Ultra Classics, I like them, you can't expect it to compare to a sportbike but they have it all over any metric cruiser, I am used to the torque of a Vtwin with the RC and previously I owned a Buell. They are definetly nice bikes, just not going to impress you with power or handling, the Ultra Classic I rode was more comfy than any bed I've ever slept in!!!!

I love my RC but I would consider selling it for the right Harley!!!

2002 Honda RC51
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax/Allison

I have had no problem at all with the 3 Harleys I have owned. My first big cruiser was a Yamaha Road Star- it was ok but didn't have the "ambiance" of the Harleys.

My Fat Boy is an awesome bike for trips or just cruisin - the ZRX is when I'm in the mood for rippin' around!

2011 Triumph Street Triple

2011 Harley Road King

I'd love to keep my GSX-R, but also have a "cruiser" type bike for days I want to just chill and be comfortable. I've always had a soft spot for the Suzuki M109's. Awesome looking bike, cheaper than a Harley, and better performance than a Harley.

My first bike was a sporty 1200. I beat the hell out of it. Around 30k it started having one problem after another. Finally it would start poopin and farting and die randomly. After a few seconds it would fire back up with a badass after-fire and I would be on my way. Never wanted to figure it out. Traded it for my honda. Best decision I ever made.

06 RC46

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

If I wanted to ride a Briggs and Stratton, I'd buy a Huffy mower. Why buy a Harley for all that dough flushed down the toilet? For what? Why? Sorry, I don't get it. Willie Davidson perpetrated a gigantic fraud on his following. What's American on the bike? The forks from Japan, the electronics from Japan, the carbs from Japan, the engine forged and built in Mexico, I'm gonna guess the brakes, frame and seats and handlebars and all the ridiculously-priced Screaming Eagle accessories were from China and the whole collection of museum-piece junk was boxed up, assembled and shipped outta Milwaukee so they can call it an American Classic while H.D. rakes in the dough as if it was built here. It was a scam top to bottom for twenty years. I wouldn't buy into it if you gave me the bike for free. Ya can't ride most of em fast, they don't handle, they break, they leak, who needs that? Only thing they don't do is sell anymore. It's supposed to be a "tough" bike and it's the most fragile piece of two-wheeled technology out there. The nonsense of American Classic and American built advertising they put out in perpetuation of this outright fraud is a little sickening. If it's a period piece and people have this nostalgia thing to ride ancient, slow and sloppy tech, that's cool. But the price is like selling your soul.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by DB Duramax View Post
    I've ridden all kinds of Harleys from Sportsters to V-Rods and Softtails to Ultra Classics, I like them, you can't expect it to compare to a sportbike but they have it all over any metric cruiser,

based on what? There are numerous metric cruisers that I would take any day a Harley. Warrior, Raider, M109, Vmax (not 100% cruiser)

Just the whole experience, I am not saying Metric cruisers are junk but seems to me that they are "cheaper" all the trim and chrome is cheesy and they usually sound like hell with aftermarket exhaust (trying to be loud like an HD)

Don't get me wrong I'd love to own or ride an M109 or one of the big metric cruisers, I'd have to say the V-rod is one of my favorite Harleys even though it isn't really in the same class as the rest of the HD line-up.

Not trying to start a pissing match just saying.

2002 Honda RC51

Vmax is an awesome bike too.

2002 Honda RC51

This is the only Harley I would ever own.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

The whole V-Rod line up is nice, I have ridden my buddies 02 V-Rod a bunch of times, its a fun bike.

2002 Honda RC51

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

HDs are great machines at doing what they do. Compare them to say, a sportbike and yes, sure, it's going to handle badly in comparison, but that truly is apples to oranges.

I'd not say no to a XR1200, do want to testride one sometime

Never thought i would buy one but i had to try it and i do like it for different reasons,although i did do some motor work goes right along now with 98hp 107lbs tourqe

Part time expert,part time hooligan

I really like Night Trains!!! Nice bike man!!!

2002 Honda RC51

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast