Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I rode a Harley

Re: I rode a Harley

I have had a half dozen bikes . Ninja 600, Gsxr 750, Zx11, ZX7, Harley FXLR lowrider and current ZX12R. They were all diff bikes to me. ZX12 has been the sickest by far. The harley had 30k on it and the only thing i had to replace was a battery. That bike was very comfy and if you dont bolt on stupid parts you will have a very reliable bike. I am looking for a street glide for when i ride with the wifey...And i promise i will not wear laconia t-shirts everytime i ride.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Street Glide is an awesome bike!!!

2002 Honda RC51
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax/Allison

Quote Originally Posted by DB Duramax View Post
    Just the whole experience, I am not saying Metric cruisers are junk but seems to me that they are "cheaper" all the trim and chrome is cheesy and they usually sound like hell with aftermarket exhaust (trying to be loud like an HD)

Don't get me wrong I'd love to own or ride an M109 or one of the big metric cruisers, I'd have to say the V-rod is one of my favorite Harleys even though it isn't really in the same class as the rest of the HD line-up.

Not trying to start a pissing match just saying.
    Personally I love the Vrod line up.....

But you seem to be buying into the image thing with Harleys. Chrome and sound are what you came up with...... I prefer performance topics myself. But thats probably why I like the Vrods

Power aside, isn't it like the front contact patch is a mile away and it wants to turn like a cow. I've only ever ridden a couple of cruisers and they made me feel unsafe because I felt the thing changed direction so slowly.

Me: "Normal people wouldn't do this."
    Peter: "First you have to operationalize with normal is."

I really like Night Trains!!! Nice bike man!!!
    Thanks! good to see not everybody on this forum bashes HDs LOL.

Part time expert,part time hooligan

Silver Bullet Commuter fjrrider RI's Avatar

I did consider a low rider at one point and test rode it. Even harley fanatics think sportsters are not real harleys just a cheap beginners bike! The last couple of years they have been making big improvements. I go to Laconia every year with my jap bikes and no one waves to me. Ridding in heavy traffic with a bunch of harley guys they all said wow would I like to have a radiator on my bike as they had to pull over and cool off their air cooled heads. A rich vetranarian we rode with had a new 2008 1200 road king that had just been bored out and would never start on the first try! Sounded like an old bike that needed points. I just rev up the 04 fjr1300 and blast past them on the highway no engine improvements needed.

Yamaha lover

I've had at least 1 harley in the garage for the last 22 years. Some years it was the only bike. Right now, this is the only thing in the garage. . .

I picked it up a few weeks ago. Bone stock 2004 with 11k miles. Everyone keeps saying how "overpriced" they are, this was $8500. Sure there are some, that people want every penny they put into it, and the new market is crazy. I blame it on the weekend sunny day rider that sprang up about 10 years ago when money was easy to get.

I've owned yamaha, honda, aprilia, ducati, confederate (the best handling fastest bike I've ever been on), and even a ural, but the one brand that has stays is harley. When I've owned multiple bikes, and wanted to just go for a cruise get some air, I always got on the harley.

The roadglide is the most comfortable bike I've been on to cruise. It handles as well as any 750# motorcycle should be expected to

currently just an oldman bike, but searching for my new ride
    .Sold to a guy in Mississippi searching for a new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by redwinger View Post
    ...and I finally understand what the craze is about. My brother in law picked up a 2007 Street Bob over the weekend. Let me say, there is something about having all that torque off idle that makes leaving stop signs extremely fun. It's also funny being able to go wide open at any point and not worrying about looping the bike.

I gotta say, I'll never only own a Harley, but I think I will add one to the stable at some point.
    I'm with you on this. I'll always own a sportbike (I love my R1) but the temptation to add a nightrod to the stable is pretty high right now.

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

The XR1200 got me interested in a Harley. But it's clear their resale value is dropping pretty fast - they were selling private sale on eBay for $7,500 with low miles, while around here they were asking $10K. I value a used 09 for a little less than $7K because it would instantly need the X mods to be fun on New England's lousy road surface.

Last month, though, a 2005 Roadster popped up locally with 1,180 miles on it at a very reasonable price. Roadsters have twin front brakes, tach, and longer shocks for more clearance. The 2005 is a carbed model, preferred by some for their sound. This model also has a rubber-mounted engine to decrease vibrations. Roadster riders tend to be more the riding than bar-hopping crowd.

Maybe it's nostalgia as the Sportster was one of the cool bikes when I was growing up, along with Bonnevilles and BSA's. Much different beast in some ways, in other ways nearly identical. This is a 1975.

They have a reputation for having poor ride and handling. I'm installing Ricor Intiminators in the front forks and Ricor IAS shocks tuned for my immense mass on the rear. I've also got the eyebrow fairing (purchased on eBay) and had the wheels powdercoated semi-gloss black with new Metzler ME880 tires.

Still have the SV and the V-Strom. The V-Strom has intiminators in the front and an ELKA 3-way shock in the back, heated grips, windshield, big aluminum cases, and ABS. It's an absurdly better everyday bike than the other two. But I'm hoping the Roadster will prove to be a lot of fun for my shorter commutes to work and cruising around town. Reading XLforums, there are a lot of committed motorcyclists who ride Sportsters. For example, in the hi-viz poll, a higher percentage of riders on XL forums wears hi-viz gear some or all the time than is the case here. They've been great at getting answers to even the most obscure questions.

So if you see a guy with a hi-viz jacket and white full-face riding a Sportster, it's me. And I believe I'm going to find it quite fun.

Last edited by Garandman; 05-15-11 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I'd love to keep my GSX-R, but also have a "cruiser" type bike for days I want to just chill and be comfortable. I've always had a soft spot for the Suzuki M109's. Awesome looking bike, cheaper than a Harley, and better performance than a Harley.
    That's what naked standards were made for. The comfort of a cruiser with the power of a sportbike makes the most fun type of bike you could ever own.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Harley, Shmarley

Here's my daily ride...

A few years ago I had a new Wide Glide to tool around on for a 3 day weekend. Loved it. Very comfy and lots of torque. Liked having the forwards too. I'd get one. But like others have pointed out, the $$ can be a bit much...

that M109 looks pretty slick too. Hmmmmm.....

Last edited by greenmonster; 05-15-11 at 09:47 AM.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by TLRMan View Post
    Oh, I forgot to add, I charge double for Kawasaki's

"My God, you're gonna have to cool me down, give me an ice block to shove in my pants or something".
    -Barbecue Lou

Last summer a friend bought a new Street glide, rode it the first time last week. He has put over $16K into it (rims, engine, suspension, chrome, etc....) w/less than 3K miles on it

With the 103ci kit it goes well for a 800 pound bike, but it certainly does not stop @ all. It was fun for 25 minutes and that is about it.

Vmax is an awesome bike too.
    Guttah say I love your taste in bikes...

Yellow was last year...Tangerine is this year...

I would seriously like to try a M109. There are 2 on the stealership floor. Black & orange and all silver. Mmmmmm

K8 GSXR 600

I would do an electra-glide in an instant

I rode my buddy's brand-new FL Ultra last year. I'm glad he liked it, because I didn't. Waaaay too ungainly for me.

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

I rode my friend's Softail Springer Classic last summer, and it was like a vibrating couch. Comfortable, decent torque, but the WORST brakes. I had swapped my 675 with him for a few miles, and when I got back on my bike I think the back end came off the ground at the first stop sign, 'cause I was so used to grabbing a huge fist-full of brake to just slow his beast down. With that said, if there are HD fans looking for a sweet ride, I'll add a shameless plug for his bike which he is now selling.... http://capecod.craigslist.org/mcy/2326712583.html

Rode my Dad's 2006 RoadKing for a bunch of miles. Felt dangerously slow to respond to any handling emergency. Stopped fine, went fine, was comfy, but I didn't think it would do what I needed it to do in an avoidance manuever.

It's for sale. If anyone is interested, let me know. He bought a new FJR1300 last month.

Vmax is making my cruiser-ish desires fulfilled so far. Gotta love riding behind a loud as fuck Harley with what sounded like some go-fast-goodies, then dropping the hammer on him to pass. He tried to keep up as my eardrums indicated to me once I was alongside. Pretty sure once he saw it was a Vmax (and a stock 16 year old one at that), he gave up. Either that or Vboost made it not matter if he let off or not.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I use my Harley on some weekends. After running a vintage race bike the HD takes some getting used to.

I use my HD/RK as a Valium sometimes. It works

Current whiplist:
    MST/Pikes Pike---------Transformer/Sky Hooked
    1098s-------------Interstater/Time machine( Just sold)
    DRZ 400 Tarded---Urban assault vehicle
    Road King---------Date bike/ Hangover bike
    XT 225-----------Grocery getter/Packie bike(For Sale)
    RD 350---------Giant Killer
    Past whiplist, I drink to them all.....

Quote Originally Posted by mrezra View Post
    I rode my friend's Softail Springer Classic last summer, and it was like a vibrating couch. Comfortable, decent torque, but the WORST brakes. I had swapped my 675 with him for a few miles, and when I got back on my bike I think the back end came off the ground at the first stop sign, 'cause I was so used to grabbing a huge fist-full of brake to just slow his beast down. With that said, if there are HD fans looking for a sweet ride, I'll add a shameless plug for his bike which he is now selling.... http://capecod.craigslist.org/mcy/2326712583.html
    Prediction: it will be for sale for a looong time due to the uniqueness of the offering. Then again "BIKE WAS BOUGHT AND LIVED IN COLORADO UNTIL SEPT OF '10. THEREFORE HAS NOT LIVED IN SALT AIR. Only clean fresh and dry mountain air." HD owners love capitals!

VERY RARE BIKE! This is the first year Harley brought out the Olive Green Pearl (a tone similar to military Harleys of the '40's) and the last year of the Softail Springer Classic. There are not very many of these beauties in existence. I get asked about it everywhere I go and many take pics.

BIKE WAS BOUGHT AND LIVED IN COLORADO UNTIL SEPT OF '10. THEREFORE HAS NOT LIVED IN SALT AIR. Only clean fresh and dry mountain air.

2007 Harley Davidson, Softail Springer Classic FLSTSC
    OVER $26K INVESTED - Yes, you read that right - he has spent $26,000 to create this bold canvas!

Stock engine 1500cc fuel injected
    11200 miles
    Tons of tire left, front and rear

Olive Green Pearl
    Vance and Hines short shot staggered pipes (black) with Screaming Eagle tuner
    Removable wind screen full size
    After market full foot floor boards
    Removable “sissy bar” back rest with luggage rack
    Extra back seat for two up (bigger butt pad than in picture for passenger)
    Passing lamps
    Smoked turn signal lenses
    Engine guard
    Highway pegs
    Saddle bags
    After market “Beach Bars”
    Touring bag for Sissy Bar

Custom powder coating (black) including: Rims, headlights, passing lamps, tail lights, front fender light, engine guard and other trim pieces.

The bike has been on synthetics since its first oil change. I have all the original Harley paperwork and literature, it has a Harley cover for dry storage and has been babied.

I was at Sturgis (Full Throttle Saloon) for a HUGE hail storm in ’09. Harley replaced a bunch of parts including the front and rear fenders and the gas tank. So anything Olive Green you see there was new for the summer of ’10 replaced by Harley (only rode 1k miles that summer). This bike is SWEET! Moved out of the country so must sell.

PLEASE EMAIL FOR MORE PICS AND INFO. Bike may be seen on MV.

NO TRADES

Last edited by Garandman; 05-16-11 at 01:59 AM.

Looks like he got his inspiration for that ad after reading the back of a Coors can.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I work at a hd dealer and I can say that the only bike that really interests me is a street glide.
    You have habits to break when riding a hd. Like relying solely on the front brakes. The rear brake is the same size as the front so you have to use it.
    They aren't performance bikes.
    They never have been
    They never pretend to be
    They probably never will be.
    They are for cruising and lugging about town.
    You don't like them for what they aren't and what they were never designed to be.
    It's like hating a gsxr for not being a comfortable long distance highway cruiser.....because that's not what it is.
    I'm not a hd fan, but I know what they are and what their purpose is.
    Do the imports make similar bikes that may or may not be better? Yes.
    But why do they make bikes that look, sound, and are designed similar to a hd? Because it works.
    Hd people though........

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post

Hd people though........
    Exactly! Some HD riders think that their bike is the shit, and anything else in inferior. That's when I point out that their bike is leaking oil!

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast