Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I rode with a tshirt and shorts last night...

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    If it wasn't for the fact that the shifter starts hurting my foot after a couple of gear changes, I would ride in flip flops more often.
    I took a drive through Hampton a couple weeks ago and was behind 2 couples on Harleys. All 4 were wearing flip flops. I wonder what the healing process is like when you lose the skin on the bottom of your feet.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Goodbye wife, hello bike! Father Ribs's Avatar

Re: I rode with a tshirt and shorts last night...

Last edited by Father Ribs; 07-22-12 at 01:36 PM.

Do they come in hi-viz?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S3)

Quote Originally Posted by idratherberidin
    If it wasn't for the fact that the shifter starts hurting my foot after a couple of gear changes, I would ride in flip flops more often.
    I took a drive through Hampton a couple weeks ago and was behind 2 couples on Harleys. All 4 were wearing flip flops. I wonder what the healing process is like when you lose the skin on the bottom of your feet.
    It's not an issue if you don't crash. People spend far too much time worrying about the exceedingly small fraction of a fraction of a percent of their riding careers spent crashing that they often forget to enjoy themselves when the occasion permits.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 07-22-12 at 10:46 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

It's not an issue if you don't crash. People spend far too much time worrying about the exceedingly small fraction of a fraction of a percent of their riding careers spent crashing that they often forget to enjoy themselves when the occasion permits.
    A fraction of a fraction of a percent? Nice.

The problem is you never know when that fraction will happen...

and the chance of you making it thru your riding career w/o crashing? the previously mentioned Brittany was in a tank, capris,flip flops and helmet riding 2-up when she hit the pavement. The bike was going 160 mph....she was in the hospital for 3 months....51% of her body is covered in skin grafts, she died in the hospital due to the infection from the rash...not the impact injuries.

I'm the furthest thing from a gear nazi but if you're going to go without it don't say its cuz you're too good a rider to worry about it or the chance of crashing is so small....it only takes one...

:steps off soap box:

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    The problem is you never know when that fraction will happen...
    If you think like that, why ride? 95% of the time I wear my gear. The other 5% I gamble, I've been down, I've had road rash, It's still my option .

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by Alilyoyo1 View Post
    and the chance of you making it thru your riding career w/o crashing?
    For me, 0% since I have crashed once in the 16-17 years I've been a licensed operator.

the previously mentioned Brittany was in a tank, capris,flip flops and helmet riding 2-up when she hit the pavement. The bike was going 160 mph....she was in the hospital for 3 months....51% of her body is covered in skin grafts, she died in the hospital due to the infection from the rash...not the impact injuries.
    I was careful in how I chose my words to not imply that you can ride around everywhere unprotected and be perfectly fine. Clearly traveling at 160mph is not an occasion for shorts and a T-shirt. Just as there are times where the risk/reward ratio dictates full leather, there are plenty of occasions where you can make do without it. Odds are most of your travels will fall somewhere in the middle.

I'm the furthest thing from a gear nazi but if you're going to go without it don't say its cuz you're too good a rider to worry about it or the chance of crashing is so small....it only takes one...
    I don't see where I proclaimed that I was an awesome rider and I don't wear gear as a result. If you knew me, you would know that I err on the the side of safety and my passengers have no choice but to have long pants, jacket, gloves, and a helmet. This doesn't change the fact that there are times when riding in shorts and a T-shirt is every enjoyable and not inherently dangerous.

For me, 0% since I have crashed once in the 16-17 years I've been a licensed operator./
    What did you get a license to operate at age (31-17 =) 14?

Lifer

Usetah be you could get your license at 15 1/2 in NH. Dunno if that is still true.

And I thought that Rock the Gear chick lived.

Last edited by nhbubba; 07-23-12 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    What did you get a license to operate at age (31-17 =) 14?
    I guestimated in my original post but now that I think about it, I got my permit in MA right when I turned 16 so I'm in my 16th year on the street and will be starting my 17th year in less than 2 months.

I guestimated in my original post but now that I think about it, I got my permit in MA right when I turned 16 so I'm in my 16th year on the street and will be starting my 17th year in less than 2 months.
    My personal experience is that riders who crash without gear usually become ex-riders, while those wearing gear are more likely to continue.

I didn't crash for 27 years and have no desire to do it again because it hurts!

I made it 20 years and over 300K miles before i crashed in '03 while wearing full gear less leather pants. Luckily I started wearing gear in '02. I have always won a full face and gloves but t-shirt & shorts were on 95% of the time that weather allowed....

I started wearing full leathers on the street in '05 and included a back protector in the spring of '08. Fortunately I never high sided until after the back protector was added as I still ended up with (4) fractures in my lower back.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    My personal experience is that riders who crash without gear usually become ex-riders, while those wearing gear are more likely to continue.

I didn't crash for 27 years and have no desire to do it again because it hurts!
    and in my personal experience, Most of my friends (excluding NESR about 15-20 ) have been down with or with out gear and I can only think of 2 that are taking a little vacation from riding. So statistics can be skewed.

When I was in my early-mid twenties I did the squid thing. The typical T-shirt/tank top but always wore pants. Found NESR and realized what I was doing was stupid. Once in a blue moon I'll wear a tshirt to go around the corner for gas and honestly I dont like it. I feel naked and road debris/bugs sting! Don't know how I used to do it.

Didn't say it was cuz you said you were a good rider... you're insinuating that everyone that worries about gear is being too cautious because the chance of crashing is so small. That's not the likelihood MOST riders will crash. and because you have not now doesn't mean you won't. Its a fact of life.

For me, 0% since I have crashed once in the 16-17 years I've been a licensed operator.

I was careful in how I chose my words to not imply that you can ride around everywhere unprotected and be perfectly fine. Clearly traveling at 160mph is not an occasion for shorts and a T-shirt. Just as there are times where the risk/reward ratio dictates full leather, there are plenty of occasions where you can make do without it. Odds are most of your travels will fall somewhere in the middle.

I don't see where I proclaimed that I was an awesome rider and I don't wear gear as a result. If you knew me, you would know that I err on the the side of safety and my passengers have no choice but to have long pants, jacket, gloves, and a helmet. This doesn't change the fact that there are times when riding in shorts and a T-shirt is every enjoyable and not inherently dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Usetah be you could get your license at 15 1/2 in NH. Dunno if that is still true.

And I thought that Rock the Gear chick lived.
    She did live, that's why 51% of her body is covered in skin grafts. Shes a gear advocate now. She's worked for MSF, Icon, etc as a spokesperson, model and more.

She did however, die in the hospital several times and the revived her but the point was it was due to infection from the rash NOT impact or head injury.

She actually just road 550 in CO where the crash happened. She visited the road ON HER OWN bike 2 years after the injury but did photos for the magazine and left...This past weekend she did the entire 304 mile trip. Its her Survivor Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    If you think like that, why ride? 95% of the time I wear my gear. The other 5% I gamble, I've been down, I've had road rash, It's still my option .
    You missed my point Doug. I was commenting on 12's post about crashing being such a small percentage of your riding. If you agree then why don't you only gear up 5% of the time or even 1% of the time. Point is you never know when you might fall off so to say don't worry about it is silly and that's what I was trying to get at.

Riding yesterday with my new $600 Dainese jacket, my $140 Dainese gloves, $450 Shoei, $130 kevlar jeans and my $170 Sidi Doha riding shoes, I traveled behind a harley guy and his female passenger. We were gong 85mph and the both had shorts, tank tops and a small soup cup for helmets. I watched in glee as they both were pelted with bugs and road debris. I saw the driver take a rock to the armpit, and I about fell off laughing...that was the funniest shit Ive seen in a long time. They slowed way down after that....

Quote Originally Posted by Alilyoyo1 View Post
    She did live, that's why 51% of her body is covered in skin grafts. Shes a gear advocate now. She's worked for MSF, Icon, etc as a spokesperson, model and more.

She did however, die in the hospital several times and the revived her but the point was it was due to infection from the rash NOT impact or head injury.

She actually just road 550 in CO where the crash happened. She visited the road ON HER OWN bike 2 years after the injury but did photos for the magazine and left...This past weekend she did the entire 304 mile trip. Its her Survivor Ride.

I rememeber that chick. She was pretty popular (motorcycle media wise) couple years back. Always wondered what happened to her.

Newbie View:
    - I wear it all and all the time. My neighbor's kids love to see me in it now...but they cover their ears when I start up.
    - Most money I've spent on jacket and pants, ever (not counting helmet, shoes and gloves); not regretting it, just funny to think about it.
    - Only riding 2+ months locally (Boston) with a 250-mile round trip to Durham, Maine and some Mass Pike and Rte 128 riding to acclimate
    - I very rarely see anyone else with pants and more often see riders using a jacket Maybe it's the warm temps and more gear shows up when the temp drops.
    - The weekend trip to Maine was filled with Harley riders (solo and with passenger) in t-shirts and shorts. Rigid soled shoes though. Almost all helmetless in ME and NH.
    - Three Can Am Spyders in a line with couples dressed as if they were already at the beach passed me on the other side of the highway in New Hampshire at one point.

2012 BMW F800R

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    You missed my point Doug. I was commenting on 12's post about crashing being such a small percentage of your riding. If you agree then why don't you only gear up 5% of the time or even 1% of the time. Point is you never know when you might fall off so to say don't worry about it is silly and that's what I was trying to get at.
    OK I missed that point Gregg.. lets hug it out

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I rememeber that chick. She was pretty popular (motorcycle media wise) couple years back. Always wondered what happened to her.
    She's around
    http://rockthegear.org/
    or
    https://www.facebook.com/breezybrit
    Again, I don't really do ATGATT but she is one of my bffs and I respect her. She actually doesn't preach either she tries to educate.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

I am still amazed by how many people ride on the street with sandals and shorts. If they only knew what skin against asphalt felt like...

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast