Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rolling Tool Chest

Rolling Tool Chest

I'm finally renovating my garage and looking to organize and store my tools better. Everything is currently in an unorganized mess that drives me insane. Most of my tools are motorcycle/car related although some home-improvement tools have been getting added recently. Looking for something on wheels that is lockable (theft, especially power tools, have been increasing in my area). I have chargers for electric impacts, drills, Senas, etc that I'd like to be able to lock while charging.

I've only been to Home Depot but will swing by Harbor Freight and Lowe's at some point. What do you recommend? Go big or stay modest?

I like the slow-closing drawers on the Husky products so far and not sure if I should go tall or workbench style:
    Rolling Tool Chest-tool-chest-chest-tall-jpgRolling Tool Chest-tool-chest-workbench-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Rolling Tool Chest

I’m doing the same, finally have our garage weather tight and starting to organize. I just ordered the Husky 52” workbench tool chest, it’ll be in next week. Soft close drawers was a big selling point, along with the drawer padding, solid wood top, and what seems like a heavy duty design.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

I have the husky similar to the right but with the solid wood top, full with drawer and peg board that hides away. Got it for like $700?

Very happy with it.

Also have a double decker like the one on the left from craftsman and I just don't like it. I have limited room and work bench is much more useful.

Very happy with the Husky. Never seen the design you have, must be pretty new. Seems like they decided to cut a corner and not make it full width. Also the bottom left cabinet drawer is also kind of cheap cost cutting. It's not ideal. Some drawers don't slide as well as they used to with heavy weight years later but still works well.

Last edited by Vovchandr; 12-29-20 at 10:19 AM.

Most of my stuff fits in a HF 48" box. IMO they are better quality compared to the husky offerings, although its been a while since I've shopped for one. Garage journal has a good write up on things like the gauge of steel used for the drawers, weight capacity, number of drawer slides etc.

If you will be moving it a lot, there are some videos on yt where guys replace the casters with much, much better quality ones from castercity.com and you can effortlessly push a 700lb box around. That's a popular modification our machine maintenance techs make since they need to roll their boxes all over the shop.

Lifer

I enjoy my Husky setup. Almost cant go wrong with them really. They are like how Craftsman used to be. Speaking of which my old craftsman drawers are still great after 30 years but no longer available.

If I was to do it all over again I would find a used SnapOn set up. Even if it is old and crappy I would rather sand and and repaint it and clean up and oil the rollers. If needed replace the locks. And quite possibly it could save some money.

Last edited by Rambunctous; 12-29-20 at 03:53 AM.

I have a harbor freight box that I got years ago and have been really happy with it. Doesn't have the soft close drawers, but when I researched husky versus harbor freight the HF was a better box.

https://www.harborfreight.com/72-in-...red-64167.html

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I work daily out of one of those Harbor Freight US General 72" roll away and 56" top box. It's been a few years now and they're working great.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

I use a Craftsman base and a mid box but replaced the top box with a Montezuma truck box. I take my tools around with me a bit and they always got messed up in the drawers. So I got the Montezuma for all my necessary tools and use the lower boxes for the more specialty items.

But my Craftsman boxes have the upgraded bearings and they work really well, nice sturdy construction.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

rides bikes

My box is tall/skinny because I’m short on floor space. If I had unlimited space I would opt for a short/wide box so I could get some added bench space.

I have a Husky that’s probably 5 years old. It’s ok, not great. Playing with the new ones in the store makes mine seem even worse.

I’d check HF. Their boxes have improved dramatically in recent years. Their prices have also gone way up. I haven’t done any apples to apples comparison, but they’re likely really close in price to a Husky or similar, in which case I’d let the warranty be the deciding factor.

There are also some amazing deals to be had on ~10 year old Mac and Snap On boxes on CL and FB. In my opinion those seem to bottom out at a certain price, so if you buy it right you could always get your money back reselling it if you weren’t happy with the configuration or size. Prior to my Husky I was using two ancient Snap On boxes that I outgrew and were getting pretty beat up. I moved the top box to my basement and sold the bottom box for more than I paid for both ~10 years prior.

Lifer

I think all the brands have improved a lot in recent years. I don't think paying a premium is worth it anymore.
    I have a mid/high end craftsman 48" wide stack that was pretty pricey back when. Next to it is a HF rolling cart that cost a fraction as much and is possibly nicer, if not the same. Both have roller bearing drawers and are pretty stout.

Whatever you get, you will fill it. It is the way the universe is wired. I started with a base chest and top chest as a gift at one point. At the time I had been an apartment dweller living out of a small hand-carry box. "I'll never fill this!" ... A year later. Yuh. So I bought the matching mid-box. .. Year later, full again. Now I have the full 48" stack and the HF 3-drawer rolling cart next to it. Neither ever roll anywhere. Both are full. Daily tools are in the HF cart and the lesser used stuff is in the stack. Some of the bottom drawers are a jenga game to get closed.

One issue with the stacks is the top thing becomes less useful when you add the mid box. It's too high to see in and use effectively. Mine is a dumping ground and highly disorganized.

I like socket organizers like this.
    Everything else in my chests is loose.

I have my mechanics tools in the garage but my home improvement and woodworking tools in the basement shop. Down there I have a cheap, bottom tier Craftsman 48" rolling chest. It's terrible. Avoid those. I'm in the process of building out built in benches with drawers and a tool cubby. Check out Ron Paulk on youtoobe. He is a cabinet maker / carpenter that built out several trucks and trailers over the years for carrying tools. His "rolling toolbox" trailer is the model for what I am building. None of that is lockable though. So.. ..price is right though.

Interestingly enough when I was a kid we got my father a craftsman 48" lower rolling chest as a christmas gift one year. Looking back it was of similar build quality to the one I'm telling you to avoid here. Years later and he still has most of his tools in that one chest. He loves it, no interest in "upgrading". Clearly everything is relative here.

Those Husky wide chests with the wood tops are nice. I've looked hard at those a couple times.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have a Montezuma triangle top box, any expansion of my tool storage will be in Montezuma products, quality is top notch, at one time, they made Snap-On boxes

they make all sorts of boxes, carts, cabinets, workbenches, everything from a small triangle top box, to chests designed to be moved with a forklift
    https://www.montezumastorage.com/

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I've only been to Home Depot but will swing by Harbor Freight and Lowe's at some point. What do you recommend? Go big or stay modest?
    what ever you do, go with something that is expandable, with compatible products

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I think all the brands have improved a lot in recent years. I don't think paying a premium is worth it anymore.
    I have a mid/high end craftsman 48" wide stack that was pretty pricey back when. Next to it is a HF rolling cart that cost a fraction as much and is possibly nicer, if not the same. Both have roller bearing drawers and are pretty stout.

Whatever you get, you will fill it. It is the way the universe is wired. I started with a base chest and top chest as a gift at one point. At the time I had been an apartment dweller living out of a small hand-carry box. "I'll never fill this!" ... A year later. Yuh. So I bought the matching mid-box. .. Year later, full again. Now I have the full 48" stack and the HF 3-drawer rolling cart next to it. Neither ever roll anywhere. Both are full. Daily tools are in the HF cart and the lesser used stuff is in the stack. Some of the bottom drawers are a jenga game to get closed.

One issue with the stacks is the top thing becomes less useful when you add the mid box. It's too high to see in and use effectively. Mine is a dumping ground and highly disorganized.

I like socket organizers like this.
    Everything else in my chests is loose.

Those Husky wide chests with the wood tops are nice. I've looked hard at those a couple times.

This. All this. I can echo everything here. My double decker once I added the much desired full width box is just too tall. Granted I'm not the tallest to begin with but I don't like it. Another personal anecdote but almost every mechanic I know has some sort of bench top style primary box instead of a double decker.

Husky like and HF line (old and their new stuff under the new label whatever it is) are a very good starting point.

Those socket organizers are very good. Also available from HF but I think they end up being more money for a full set and I like the double colors of the ebay ones (I have the HF set, but would order the two colors if I were to do it again).

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    If I was to do it all over again I would find a used SnapOn set up. Even if it is old and crappy I would rather sand and and repaint it and clean up and oil the rollers. If needed replace the locks. And quite possibly it could save some money.
    my experience, with used Snap-On, is that they are repos, that the Snap-On man sells before he even finishes that day's route, great deal, if you can snag one, they don't last long (the deal, that is, not the tools)

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I like socket organizers like this..
    one of the things I like about my Montezuma triangle box, they are built right in (I got the small box, wish I had a place for extra 10mm), my next tool storage, will be a cart, https://www.montezumastorage.com/col...ving-tool-cart

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I have a harbor freight box that I got years ago and have been really happy with it. Doesn't have the soft close drawers, but when I researched husky versus harbor freight the HF was a better box.

https://www.harborfreight.com/72-in-...red-64167.html
    the YouTube video in that link is very nicely done! many things I hadn't considered.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZl7...ture=emb_title
    If only HF had slow-close drawers!

Lifer

In my post earlier I called my boxes 48" wide. They are not. Just went out and slapped a tape to them and they are like 26" wide. Not sure where I got 48". Been listening to my wife's idea of length too much I guess.

Soft close is something I want in my kitchen (yet do not have). Not sure how hell bent I would be to have it in the garage or shop. They are just tools man.

I've also had a few girls over the years tell me I view things longer than reality. Coincidently it's been about the same tool each time.

I certainly don't need soft close but it would be nice on a $1k+ chest... if nothing else just something to brag to my friends about (just like how long I think it may be)

Lifer

$1k chests?!? You're swimming in different circles than I. As you were.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    my experience, with used Snap-On, is that they are repos, that the Snap-On man sells before he even finishes that day's route, great deal, if you can snag one, they don't last long (the deal, that is, not the tools)
    I know a guy with a Snap-On truck. He hates it. He said he spends most of his day trying to collect money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    I know a guy with a Snap-On truck. He hates it. He said he spends most of his day trying to collect money.
    My brother used to always owe the Snap-On man $$, every week, he'd plan on paying him off, but instead, get talked into another set of sockets, or wrenches, ratchet, and a week later, repeat, my brother bought a lot of repo stuff from him, a little less than full retail, can't go wrong, at the time, it was the only way to get discounted tools.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

$1k chests?!? You're swimming in different circles than I. As you were.
    I mean if you get something big you're going to pay either way. I'd rather shell out a g and have something nice that is going to last. And can expand with the ever growing tool collection!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Check out Strictlytoolboxes.com

I started with a Blue Point cart with rubber stops in the back of the slides that would wear out and then the drawers could roll open if I was moving it or if the floor wasn't perfectly level where I was working. I didn't know about the Harbor Freight cart at the time, or I would have bought that instead and saved myself $600 for nearly the same box.

I added a 41" wide 18" deep top and bottom set from Napa made by Homak. I think I paid $800 for the set. It was perfectly serviceable even after I outgrew it--and I outgrew it rather quickly. 18" deep is maybe fine for a homeowner, but not for a tech.

Since I am loathe to drop 5-10k on a Snap-on or Cornwell box, I researched and found Extreme Toolboxes. I got myself a 72" 19 drawer, 25" deep box with stainless top for ~$2500 shipped. The drawer retention system is full-width, so it doesn't matter where on the pull you grab from, you just lift the pull a little and it unlatches. For a while I topped it with the top box from my old 41" set, but I took the top box off in favor of more workspace. Instead, I bought a $200 side locker from Harbor Freight.

When another guy in the shop upgraded his cart, he sold me his old one, which is an upgrade to my original cart. It has some kind of spring drawer closing that seems to work like soft close drawers without the soft close. It also has an extra drawer, which is nice. Now I have a place for all my M12 Milwaukee tools.

My original cart and the top 41" box live in my garage now. I sold the bottom 41" box to another tech.

Last edited by golden chicken; 12-29-20 at 07:23 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I have a Montezuma triangle top box, any expansion of my tool storage will be in Montezuma products, quality is top notch, at one time, they made Snap-On boxes

they make all sorts of boxes, carts, cabinets, workbenches, everything from a small triangle top box, to chests designed to be moved with a forklift
    https://www.montezumastorage.com/
    I have the 26" "portable" toolbox. It is full-full. Not overly portable anymore. I can't imagine having the 36" and filling it. These things are pretty heavy empty.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast