Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rolling Tool Chest

Re: Rolling Tool Chest

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I have the 26" "portable" toolbox. It is full-full. Not overly portable anymore. I can't imagine having the 36" and filling it. These things are pretty heavy empty.
    that is same box I have, my plan was to eventually get 2, one for metric, the other for SAE, but I don't have enuf room for extra 10mm, so I think I'll go for a bigger one, and move my metrics to that, I don't have a lot of SAE, and the 26" box would be perfect. However, I think I'll get a cart, before a second box

I like the way they display the tools, no hunting thru a different drawer to get a ratchet, and a different drawer for a box end wrench, and yet a different drawer for a screwdriver

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I just have a Craftsman rolling cabinet that I got at Lowes. Perfect for my mostly metric tools for the bike. The SAE stuff has gone into a carry box for the boat projects. Then I started reorganizing the garage and adding the one time use (hopefully) tools I've accumulated for the house. Thinking of a top box for it, or another roller. I guess it comes down to quickly filling a top box or throwing junk into the big drawers of another roller. But I do like the look over going from a "half stack" to a "full stack". Funny now some of the specs mention number of USB ports. At first I laughed then thought phone and rechargeable flash light are usually out when i'm working on something in the garage.

2013 ZX6R-636

are there any cheap tool sets that come with a tool box? something I can throw in the truck/trailer for an emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    are there any cheap tool sets that come with a tool box? something I can throw in the truck/trailer for an emergency?
    Define cheap and define set?

Almost everything will come with some kind of plastic setting and almost everything will come with mostly fill "fluff" to make the total number of pieces look better.

I've bought something like this and used it with success as emergency/track basic kit for like $70

https://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-9...hrome/16491607

Before you throw a portable tool box full of stuff into a vehicle, I would think about what could break that would strand you that you could fix with those tools, but without a new part on hand.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Before you throw a portable tool box full of stuff into a vehicle, I would think about what could break that would strand you that you could fix with those tools, but without a new part on hand.
    Most of that I cover with the parts already (spare belts, hoses, fluids, etc). I want a set or two of tools that I won’t care if I lose or get rusted or whatever but will be handy if I need.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

After visiting Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and going back and forth for weeks, I've decided on the Husky 56" 23 drawer unit. I'm going with it partially because it just happens to fit the space I want to put it in perfectly, partially because I can buy it all as one unit, and partially because I foresee appreciating the little convenience features more than a stoutly built box for my basic homeowner use.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-He...BB2S/303412321

my question is: are there coupons I can find to lower the price or a sale coming up? Looks like President's day is the closest holiday.

I was just going to recommend workbench/wood top. These are so much more functional on a garage with limited space. I have a tall snapon chest (that I got for 300!) and a cheap workbench style. Now I wish I had more workbench style cabinets.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I was just going to recommend workbench/wood top. These are so much more functional on a garage with limited space. I have a tall snapon chest (that I got for 300!) and a cheap workbench style. Now I wish I had more workbench style cabinets.
    I like the workbench top, it’s useful for keeping things organized while working on a project, though I don’t think the top is strong enough to mount a vice.
    One thing I didn’t really think about with a deep box, the drawers come out just as deep. It’s fine while working on bikes and atv’s, but space will be an issue while working on a vehicle for me.

Rolling Tool Chest-f3d6330c-4a5a-4140-98d8-776641b52952

Yamaha

I have a big HF rolling toolchest with a metal top... what's the easiest way to convert it? Find someone that can make me a butcher block in the right size?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I have a big HF rolling tool chest with a metal top... what's the easiest way to convert it? Find someone that can make me a butcher block in the right size?
    I think you can just go to lumber liquidators or similar and order wood countertop cut to size.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I like the workbench top, it’s useful for keeping things organized while working on a project, though I don’t think the top is strong enough to mount a vice.
    One thing I didn’t really think about with a deep box, the drawers come out just as deep. It’s fine while working on bikes and atv’s, but space will be an issue while working on a vehicle for me.

Rolling Tool Chest-f3d6330c-4a5a-4140-98d8-776641b52952
    Good point. I don't have that issue as it's in a shop, not garage. But now I think I want that exact chest. LOL I will keep the snapon, and add something like this.

Paul_E_D

I like a wood work surface as well, my small work bench for my survey equipment repair/adjustment, is red oak plywood. as I convert my barn from an office into a mechanical shop, I will build another bench, I plan to use maple flooring as a surface. pegboard on walls adjacent, and a new 8" vice for that bench

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

don't make this decision harder for me! I figure I can use the taller chest with more drawers to store things that are not necessarily tools: like batteries, small parts, etc. I already have a workbench with a rolling stool that slides underneath which I love, but that usually gets cluttered fairly quickly so I'm not sure if adding more workbench space will aid in my organizational hopes.

Yep. I have a stacker and never really liked it. Got a workbench for my garage and find it a lot more useful. Granted the law/problem of "flat surfaces" applies and is always something in need of cleaning, I'm glad to have it when needed

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I have a big HF rolling toolchest with a metal top... what's the easiest way to convert it? Find someone that can make me a butcher block in the right size?
    I think you can just go to lumber liquidators or similar and order wood countertop cut to size.
    Any lumber yard should be able to cut you a thick piece of MDF to top your tool box with. Top doesn't need to be countertop/butcher block type material. MDF works out pretty well. Not too expensive and you don't feel bad if you scratch it or run a drill bit into it accidentally

Well, no turning back now. Picked it up and put it together this weekend. Fits the space perfectly and rolls easily as I finish the trim work on the newly redone garage.

My only gripe is one of the 23 drawers doesn't slide close easily. You have to put more thought into pushing it to close whereas the others you can basically slam and let the soft-close do its thing. I think I'll reach out and see if they can send new slides. Luckily it's one of the smaller drawers and not the larger drawers I plan to use the most.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 02-16-21 at 02:46 PM.

All you need is a little lube.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Well, no turning back now. Picked it up and put it together this weekend. Fits the space perfectly and rolls easily as I finish the trim work on the newly redone garage.

My only gripe is one of the 23 drawers doesn't slide close easily. You have to put more thought into pushing it to close whereas the others you can basically slam and let the soft-close do its thing. I think I'll reach out and see if they can send new slides. Luckily it's one of the smaller drawers and not the larger drawers I plan to use the most.

Some of my drawers - your bottom left in particular hasn't slid well for years since I bought it.

Decided to look into it eventually and out of the 4 slides one wasn't working properly and was "stuck" together with the slider. Hard to explain but when you open it you would see that one isn't working like the rest. Ended up physically popping it to separate and make it unstuck and it has been working better.

Overall most do slide pretty well and soft close pretty well. I have sister box thats a table top

Sears at Solomon Mall is closing and having a liquidation sale. I love my Craftsman.

That looks terrible. You should give it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Sears at Solomon Mall is closing and having a liquidation sale. I love my Craftsman.
    Did you go? Might stop by in the morning to see whats there

It was most likely user error but one of the locking casters has broken. As soon as it happened I thought "the harbor freight unit wouldn't have done that".

With that said, I don't plan to move this thing after I finish the trim work in the garage, which I knew when purchasing so not a big deal.

A quick 15 min call on a Saturday and I have new drawer slides coming for the sticky drawer and a new caster, all under warranty. So at least they're quick to remedy the defective parts.

EDIT: Not user error. Another locking caster broke same exact place and I was being careful. Another 10min call and I asked for 4 new swivel casters as I think there's a defect. Unfortunate but they're cool about warranty replacement.

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 02-20-21 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hpw22077 View Post
    Did you go? Might stop by in the morning to see whats there
    No, I am living in a condo and am downsizing my tool collection. In the spring I am gonna post a (possibly 2) bottom rollaway Craftsman. Prolly fill it with tools too.

Last edited by Rambunctous; 02-20-21 at 10:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12