Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

is my rotor straight??

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

is my rotor straight??

well inthepast few years i bought 2 setsof rotors becuase on ebay i found them so cheap 20$ each... in case of get offs etc.
    and because i have 2 sets of rims , 1 street 1 track.

For one reason or the other. all the rotors got mixed up and i know 1 or 2 have dings making them unuseable. so out of 4 i have 1 defnite ding and another possible. i ahev one good set currently on my bike.

What is a good way of seeing if they are good? do i "have " to have the same thickness rotors on the wheel when in use? would that make it feel like there is a ding? thus making braking less effective?

other than mounting rotors and then mounting the tire and riding what other way is there to see if rotors are 100% straight?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Lifer

is my rotor straight??

if there aren't any mounting buttons that stick out too far - Lay it on a piece of glass and try to slide a feeler gauge (0.002" to 0.005") under it in several spots around the outer and inner diameters. Also take a set of calipers or mic to measure the thickness in several spots to see if it is in spec. The min thickness should be stamped into the rotor.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

is my rotor straight??

unfortunately the mounting buttons do stick out

would rotors of diff thickness without being dinged.. cause any issues braking?

ideally is there a way i could mount one rotor at a time? and brake /ride hte bike? to see if theere is a ding or if it affects the brake system?

its a 2000 zx6r if that's an issue.

hmmmm......

is my rotor straight??

I would say if they are serviceable thickness they are ok

Hypothetically the thinner one would heat and cool quicker
    but f that. Probably not as much a difference as the other variables in the system.

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Everybody to the limit!

is my rotor straight??

Put the rotor on a wheel, put the wheel on an axle, put the axle in a vise, put a dial gauge above the rotor pressing down on it, spin the wheel, watch the gauge.

I Dance With Will

is my rotor straight??

Originally posted by black

other than mounting rotors and then mounting the tire and riding what other way is there to see if rotors are 100% straight?
    you put a female rotor next to it. if there is no attraction then it's not straight.

sorry...

"fuckit!"

It never got fast enough rebelpacket's Avatar

is my rotor straight??

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    Put the rotor on a wheel, put the wheel on an axle, put the axle in a vise, put a dial gauge above the rotor pressing down on it, spin the wheel, watch the gauge.
    What he said.

You can also do it with it mounted on your bike too. Just make sure you either have a very good dial gauge mount, or you can even use a magnet mount on a steel plate.

Rotate it slowly. If its off by .002-.004" , then you've got problems. But pay attention to what the gauge does when you actually rotate it, because just touching the wheel can incorrectly show some runout.

They should call Production Twins what it really is, Shitty McBikefest. Rules for Participation: If your bike runs lower laptimes than a lawnmower, you are not eligibile for Shitty McBikefest. -Darrell

Alex Pearsall #121 ESMRA / #512 LRRS

is my rotor straight??

umm.. i'm a little lost here.. dial gauge?? where do i mount it?? how much to buy a dial gauge??

sorry visualy i just cant picture it.?

hmmmm......

is my rotor straight??

A runout gauge is what ppl are suggesting to try.

I'd just put them on the bike and give them a rip. If they feel OK and they are visibly OK then I woudn't worry about it. IMHO it isn't like they are going to self destruct if they are not cracked and they are not visibly bent with a visual test spinning wheel with rotor on bike.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

is my rotor straight??

Originally posted by black
    umm.. i'm a little lost here.. dial gauge?? where do i mount it?? how much to buy a dial gauge??

sorry visualy i just cant picture it.?
    Google "dial indicator"

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.