Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RSV4 owners, a question or 2?

RSV4 owners, a question or 2?

My 2012 RSV4 currently has about 3k miles and I've noticed a few minor issues starting and wanted to see if others had similar issues. I'm pretty sure I'll have to return it for service/warranty work, but figured if it's something simple, I'd like to save the hassles.

Recently the engine seems to idle high when coming to a stop, it never did this before and started about 4-500 miles ago. It makes getting it in and out of gear a pain in the ass. I've always thought the bike idled high in general, but it seems excessive now.

Next is the radiator hose on the left side collapses when the engine is cold. I tried to get a picture, but seeing it's 900 outside now, it's really not cold. I tried to upload a pic of the hose, but can't for some reason. I tried a few steps (remove the radiator cap when cold, start the bike and let it warm up, then put the cap back on) the service person at the dealer mentioned, but it still does it. I normally wouldn't worry about it, but over time, my guess is the hose will fail sooner than it should.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Re: RSV4 owners, a question or 2?

I haven't had any problems with the idle on mine. There is a slight change between clutch out in neutral and clutch in, in 1st gear, but it's no where near 400-500. Could be an issue with the electronic throttle demand sensor, kicking rpm's up when the bike thinks the throttle is partially open. My bikes tds was just replaced for the second time so it is a common problem.

As far as the radiator hose, again, I haven't noticed it on mine. I'm guessing there may be a clogged line somewhere, not letting contracting/cooling fluid back in after expansion. Check your overflow maybe? See what's in there?

My bike has been running ridiculously hot though. I've seen 226, 227, a few times in city traffic. I'm thinking about adding some engine ice/water wetter to help. Hell, even doing the speed limit in this weather it hovers around 200.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Mine also has always had a small change in rpm in clutch out and clutch in, but hardly noticeable. Normal idle seems to have always been around 1600-1700 rpm

I just checked the coolant level in the tank, and from the little window, I don't see anything. I'll pull the panel off to have a closer look. When I removed the radiator cap, it was full to the top.
    That reminds me, when it runs warm (mine also runs very very warm on days like today...even low 80's type days) there is a slight smell of antifreeze at times, but no signs of leaks.

Looking back at where I've been with the bike in the past 2 weeks, the idle issue started after the bike went up the Mt Washington auto road...maybe the altitude did something?

Yamaha

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

those bikes have a closed loop fueling system. I'm sure it compensated big time for that altitude mark. It may take a little while for it to re-compensate.

The hose crushing is because the thermostat has now closed and there is a bubble of air trapped between it and the cylinders. Fill the overflow to the upper level and let it get hot enough to open the thermostat and it will automatically bleed. You may need to top up again just a little after it bleeds.

Last edited by Degsy; 07-08-13 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

those bikes have a closed loop fueling system. I'm sure it compensated big time for that altitude mark. It may take a little while for it to re-compensate.

The hose crushing is because the thermostat has now closed and there is a bubble of air trapped between it and the cylinders. Fill the overflow to the upper level and let it get hot enough to open the thermostat and it will automatically bleed. You may need to top up again just a little after it bleeds.

How long should it take to re-compensate? I'm guessing I'm coming up on 800 miles or so after the Mt Washington trip. I took it for a short ride today and it was still happening. Idle goes to about 1900-2k and will only go back down with a quick twist of the throttle?
    I checked for stored codes last night, and none came up!

Yamaha

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

I know that ktm has a 5 min idle adjust. Its something along the lines of start bike cold and just let it idle for 5 min. Don't touch the throttle at all. I'm not sureif the apes have something similar though.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Could you disconnect the battery and hope for a soft reset? Leave it disconnected for a night maybe?

How'd it come out Mark? Any diagnosis or fix?

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    How'd it come out Mark? Any diagnosis or fix?
    The only thing I did was change the oil+filter and top off the coolant overflow. Nothing has changed.

I called Seacoast last week and I plan to ride it up there Saturday morning for them to look at it. The idle seems to be less of an issue and it's hard to tell with the coolant line because it's been so warm the past week.
    Another issue, is a loud ticking that only happens on warm start-ups for about 5-6 seconds, then goes away.
    Another issue, there was a rubber bumper missing from the exhaust and they ordered it for me a few weeks ago, but I noticed the exhaust was so close to the swingarm (guessing the rubber bumper helps keep it away?) that it made some pretty bad scrapes on the swingarm.

I have to be honest, I can't say I'm an overly thrilled Aprilia owner

Yamaha

That ticking is pretty normal. My 10 did it regularly, it would do it hot cold didn't matter but it always caught my ear more when the bike was hot. The idle has probably corrected itself and I'm sure the boys at Seacoast will find the coolant issue. The swing arm thing sucks but I'm sure they will do what they need to so that you'll be happy. It really sucks that you've had a tough experience. I bought my 10 new and road it every where and it was bullet proof for the two years of ownership. I just traded it in for the 13 factory se. Picked it up today. This is now my third Aprilia and I have to say they have been very reliable. I hope that these little things will get fixed for you so that you can just enjoy this machine and see how good it really is.
    Best of luck!,
    Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    The only thing I did was change the oil+filter and top off the coolant overflow. Nothing has changed.

I called Seacoast last week and I plan to ride it up there Saturday morning for them to look at it. The idle seems to be less of an issue and it's hard to tell with the coolant line because it's been so warm the past week.
    Another issue, is a loud ticking that only happens on warm start-ups for about 5-6 seconds, then goes away.
    Another issue, there was a rubber bumper missing from the exhaust and they ordered it for me a few weeks ago, but I noticed the exhaust was so close to the swingarm (guessing the rubber bumper helps keep it away?) that it made some pretty bad scrapes on the swingarm.

I have to be honest, I can't say I'm an overly thrilled Aprilia owner

Steven

The ticking happens with mine too. I was told by Jason and Charles at Seacoast that its normal for the V4's to do that. Mine has always done that since I had it last year.

I'm still hoping Aprilia is going to be a standup company and warranty my TDS that Seacoast replaced for me. I've already had more problems with this V4 than I have had with any other bike. I hope this isn't the trend. When it runs though, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    That ticking is pretty normal. My 10 did it regularly, it would do it hot cold didn't matter but it always caught my ear more when the bike was hot. The idle has probably corrected itself and I'm sure the boys at Seacoast will find the coolant issue. The swing arm thing sucks but I'm sure they will do what they need to so that you'll be happy. It really sucks that you've had a tough experience. I bought my 10 new and road it every where and it was bullet proof for the two years of ownership. I just traded it in for the 13 factory se. Picked it up today. This is now my third Aprilia and I have to say they have been very reliable. I hope that these little things will get fixed for you so that you can just enjoy this machine and see how good it really is.
    Best of luck!,
    Funny, the ticking just started around 2k miles, I never noticed it before that. As of now, I also only notice it when it's hot.
    My 09 R1 had the exact same noise, Yamaha replaced the cam chain tensioner and it went away. IMHO, something that makes that much noise, is wearing out parts.
    Congrats on your new ride, how do you like it so far?

I've already had more problems with this V4 than I have had with any other bike. I hope this isn't the trend. When it runs though, I love it.
    This makes me a bit more concerned! I had planned on keeping this bike for a while when i first purchased it, but once that 2 year warranty expires, it'll be time to say good bye...haha

Yamaha

Really happy with it so far. I have only managed a couple hundred miles but I noticed some refinement changes right away. I have about two hours of warning stickers to remove so that should be fun. I put my 10 back to stock so I have all my aftermarket stuff to put on too. Seacoast swapped my race ecu in already so all I have to do is put my pipe on. The only thing that might not work are my frame sliders. The motor on the factory sits a little lower so the bolt holes don't line up. Kind of sucks because their graves sliders and fit perfect otherwise. The tank is shaped a little different, too.

We should try and get everyone together for a ride.
    Funny, the ticking just started around 2k miles, I never noticed it before that. As of now, I also only notice it when it's hot.
    My 09 R1 had the exact same noise, Yamaha replaced the cam chain tensioner and it went away. IMHO, something that makes that much noise, is wearing out parts.
    Congrats on your new ride, how do you like it so far?

This makes me a bit more concerned! I had planned on keeping this bike for a while when i first purchased it, but once that 2 year warranty expires, it'll be time to say good bye...haha

Steven

The warranty on mine just ran out at the end of may. So far its been a swollen tank, vent valve, and a throttle demand sensor since I've owned mine. Before I owned it, apparently it had valve cover gaskets for an oil leak, a ecu code clear, and the original throttle demand sensor replaced. It could be just my bike, but it's only got 5000 miles on it, and thats by far and large more work on any bike that I have previously owned. It's definitely made me think about getting rid of it and going in a different direction, possibly back to a ducati.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Really happy with it so far. I have only managed a couple hundred miles but I noticed some refinement changes right away. I have about two hours of warning stickers to remove so that should be fun. I put my 10 back to stock so I have all my aftermarket stuff to put on too. Seacoast swapped my race ecu in already so all I have to do is put my pipe on. The only thing that might not work are my frame sliders. The motor on the factory sits a little lower so the bolt holes don't line up. Kind of sucks because their graves sliders and fit perfect otherwise. The tank is shaped a little different, too.

We should try and get everyone together for a ride.
    The graves sliders that I got last year had plates for the R version that would just be removed for the factory version (or vice versa). Either way, it seemed like yours would still work but Graves should be able to give you the definitive answer on that.

xxaarraa

Oh man. I was just about convinced that my next bike up from my 848 corse was an RSV4 Factory. This thread seems to give me mixed feelings.

My previous bike was an 848. The riding position and the power of my RSV4 is pure sex. The sound alone is unreal.

I just got word today that Aprilia is refunding my money for repairs to cover it under warranty. At least they are a good reasonable company that stands behind their product.

xxaarraa

My previous bike was an 848. The riding position and the power of my RSV4 is pure sex. The sound alone is unreal.

I just got word today that Aprilia is refunding my money for repairs to cover it under warranty. At least they are a good reasonable company that stands behind their product.
    That's good to hear, congratulations. The RSV4 Factory seems reasonably priced. It seems similarly equipped to a Pani S (down on power a bit) but for $4-5k less. I think I want one just because I have had nothing but v-twins my entire life and want to try a different type of engine.

It might be down on power when comparing dyno sheets, but the RSV4 seems to be a good package that performs well in the magazine track tests etc...My recent Motorcyclist mag has it rated as the #1 superbike for 2013.

I have the stock "R" version but still love it. I made the decision not to get the factory as I didn't want all the other trick bit of suspension for the road that I wouldn't need. I also have the first US production year bike, 2010, and still am in love with this bike. Coming from the 848, I constantly short shifted the RSV4 when I first made the switch because it pulled like a twin, but had 2-3k rpms left to go for the top end rush.

This about sums up how I feel about Aprilia after today! At least I had my phone to call for a ride....after 20 years of riding Yamaha's, this is the first time I have ever been stuck on the side of the road with a bike

RSV4 owners, a question or 2?-broken-jpg

Yamaha

That sucks man. What happened?

I don't know exactly what happened yet, and I don't plan to be the one digging into it to find out. Coolant was spraying out from something on the top of the motor..I couldn't tell if it was the head or some hoses. The temp was way up, but no warning lights on! I later learn that there is a plastic fitting that is a common failure..whether that is what's wrong with mine or not, I don't know.
    Disappointed to say the least, new bike with 3,000 miles...and I gave up a reliable Japanese bike for this thing

Yamaha

xxaarraa

I don't know exactly what happened yet, and I don't plan to be the one digging into it to find out. Coolant was spraying out from something on the top of the motor..I couldn't tell if it was the head or some hoses. The temp was way up, but no warning lights on! I later learn that there is a plastic fitting that is a common failure..whether that is what's wrong with mine or not, I don't know.
    Disappointed to say the least, new bike with 3,000 miles...and I gave up a reliable Japanese bike for this thing
    Sorry to hear that man, it's a bad feeling in the stomach to be stranded somewhere and waiting for help. Especially on a motorcycle on a hot day. Hope Aprilia gets it all sorted out for you.

Wow Mark, that suck. Every brand has its bad eggs and unfortunately it sounds like you got one that needs to be worked out. I know more people that have had good luck rather than bad. Just hang in there, I'm sure it will get sorted and you'll be able to enjoy this bike soon enough.

Steven

It's unfortunate that happened to you. There is a recall for this issue. Hopefully you get it sorted out quickly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast