Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

RSV4 owners, a question or 2?

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson
    Just out of curiosity why don't you like the crossplane crank? I quite enjoyed it on the relatively short ride I took one out on.
    I just dont really like the whole bike as a package. I do like the crossplane motor but the rest of it doesnt do it for me.
    Like csmutty keeps pointing out to me I have to mod the ecu for it to be a better bike. I haven't done that yet, im probably not going to do that and i shouldn't have to do that a bike unless im looking for every bit of power from it which im not. The fact thats it's pretty much a manditory mod to get the bike to run better in general just bothers me. So it will continue to sit in the corner of my shed.
    Dont blame Yamaha. Blame Kyoto.

Edit : i see smutty beat me to it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Degsy; 08-08-13 at 09:06 AM.

Re: RSV4 owners, a question or 2?

So I went a different direction. The guys at National Powersports (Nate, Chris, and Ryan) were gracious enough to help me out of my RSV4 and into a Hypermotard 1100S. After riding Brett's last year, and coupled with ease of service, more comfortable riding position both solo and 1up, I put the feelers out there and they were great in giving me a deal that I have driven away with a very satisfied smile on my face. I highly recommend those guys if youre looking for a new bike.

Back on topic, good luck Mark, hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

That should be easily fixable mark. Its a simple system. I think its a kinked small hose from the overflow tank to the radiator or the vent hose from the overdlow tank is blocked or kinked.

I'll take a look when I get a chance, it also did this prior to all the service/warranty work recently

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    So I went a different direction. The guys at National Powersports (Nate, Chris, and Ryan) were gracious enough to help me out of my RSV4 and into a Hypermotard 1100S. After riding Brett's last year, and coupled with ease of service, more comfortable riding position both solo and 1up, I put the feelers out there and they were great in giving me a deal that I have driven away with a very satisfied smile on my face. I highly recommend those guys if youre looking for a new bike.

Back on topic, good luck Mark, hope it works out for you.
    All that talk and you bailed out the bike?
    Good luck with your new ride

Yamaha

RSV4 owners, a question or 2?

A whole host of reasons. One being that Seacoast is 3 hours away, and no one locally could read codes, troubleshoot, etc... If a light came on like it did earlier this year, its 6 hours of driving, $200 in gas for the truck, just to turn off a service light, read a code...you get the drift.

The Hyper is beyond simple. 2 valve, oil cooled, comfortable, and dare I say more fun at lower speeds. Much easier to have fun with, and commute, and bring the GF out to dinner. I had the most fun on a ride today on the hyper than I have had in a long time.

that collapsed hose is likely form as Degsy a pinched hose between the radiator and expansion tank, line in the tank or and my money is on, the radiator cap.

There is a two way valve it the cap. The large spring maintains system pressure, when pressure is exceeded(when warming up and at temp) the spring is pushed and the coolant allowed to expand into the expansion tank.

When the engine cools the coolant contracts, the smaller spring (you can't really see but the center of the cap has a small disk that you can flick with your finger) opens and allows the coolant that moved over to the expansion tank to return back to the main cooling system. If this valve does allow the coolant to return vacuum will built in the system and collapse the hose/hoses.

If ANY part of this system is block the same thing will happen. One easy check is to remove the line on the radiator and blow throw it. If you can, the line and tank are good and the cap is bad. If not you need to fine if it's the line or the tank. It sounds like you have no plans on fixing it yourself and I don't blame you one bit but if your board and can get at the stuff easily it's worth a shot.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    that collapsed hose is likely form as Degsy a pinched hose between the radiator and expansion tank, line in the tank or and my money is on, the radiator cap.

There is a two way valve it the cap. The large spring maintains system presscure, when pressure is exceeded(when warming up and at temp) the spring is pushed and the coolant allowed to expand into the expansion tank.

When the engine cools the coolant contracts, the smaller spring (you can't really see but the center of the cap has a small disk that you can flick with your finger) opens and allows the coolant that moved over to the expansion tank to return back to the main cooling system. If this valve does allow the coolant to return vacuum will built in the system and collapse the hose/hoses.

If ANY part of this system is block the same thing will happen. One easy check is to remove the line on the radiator and blow throw it. If you can, the line and tank are good and the cap is bad. If not you need to fine if it's the line or the tank. It sounds like you have no plans on fixing it yourself and I don't blame you one bit but if your board and can get at the stuff easily it's worth a shot.
    Good post. I never knew how that worked. Thanks tim.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I try to be helpful

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post

There is a two way valve it the cap. The large spring maintains system pressure, when pressure is exceeded(when warming up and at temp) the spring is pushed and the coolant allowed to expand into the expansion tank.

Good information and thank you for the post.
    For something simple, I'll take a look at it, and I do enjoy working on my own bike. The fact that I just got it back from a pretty major cooling system service, and a problem is still there, is what's a bit disappointing

Yamaha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123