Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rt 17 today

Rt 17 today

Took a cruise over to route 17 today to see if it was as good as advertised. It's fricken awesome!

If the assholes that don't stay on their own side of the road would've stayed home, the ride would've been better. I personally saw the results of a motorcycle crash for the first time; pretty sobering. A WRX was coming up and ran WAY wide in the first sharp right heading east. A BMW bike was coming down (heading west) and was hit pretty close to the shoulder on the westbound side of the road; he had nowhere to go. The guy came out of it pretty good considering he got hit by a cage. The only serious injury he appeared to have was a broken femur. Still pretty tough to see a fellow rider laying on the side of the road by no fault of his own. I didn't stick around long, there wasn't anything I could do. Fortunately a paramedic and an EMT were riding 17 today and they got there before I did. I continued on a little farther (at a more cautious pace) then turned around to head back to route 100. On the way back down to 100, I had a fuckin' bike on my side in one of the corners. I still had room, but what the fuck gives? Did I hit 17 at a bad time or is it typical to see people over the center line up there?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Rt 17 today

Never been to rt17 but it sounds like you went by some guys that think its their race course. They go around trying to pop the apex of the corner although if they are taking a left they should not come anywhere close to hitting it as it would bring them all the way across the road. I think its getting more common to see this with all the yahoos out there with the nice stuff like the WRX which is capable of some nice driving and with their sport bike that think they can make the road their own race course and eat up both lanes with no regard to anyone else. Im all for having a good time with your sports cars or bike but its the few that ruin it for us all. I bet if it keeps up youll see more and more cops out there.

James

Lifer

Rt 17 today

where is rt17?

'22 Aprilia rs660
    '18 Aprilia Tuono Factory

If you look down, you go down. That may be fun at an orgy, but it sucks on a bike

Rt 17 today

Originally posted by sxlova07
    where is rt17?
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...field&state=VT

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Rt 17 today

I think you just caught it on a bad day. I rode it 3 weeks in a row, the 3rd time being with a group of about 15 NESR'ians and I dont think I heard any complaints of any cages/bikes taking up more than their share of the road. Nor did I have any problems the previous 2 times I ran it. I think all the NESR guys did a fine job staying in between their set of paint, even with a few hooligans showing off for the cameras and wearing their knee pucks down.

Too bad about the Beemer guy, hope its nothing serious, and he gets imbursed well by the Subies insurance co.

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

Rt 17 today

I live about 45 minutes from Rt17 and get over it every coupla weeks. I see bikes in the wrong lane more often than cars but it is pretty rare for the most part. In the last year or so the local contingent of "drifters" has taken to playing up there. Try coming up to the pull off at the top, from the east, with one of those fucking knobs taking the right(eastbound) with the back half of his car in yer lane............ fuckin' knobs.......... Regards, Jake

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Rt 17 today

Originally posted by sxlova07
    where is rt17?
    BLASHPHEMY

Wylee - pretty uncharacteristic to hear this. I've only come across people in my lane a couple of times when I've been there and they are mostly cruisers draggin pipes and can't go down any further. Cars , actually can't say that I've ever had a car cross over with me around on 17.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Shoulda let us know you were coming over.

I drove by your house again last week.

Bras cause cancer.

Rt 17 today

Originally posted by Nikon
    BLASHPHEMY

Wylee - pretty uncharacteristic to hear this. I've only come across people in my lane a couple of times when I've been there and they are mostly cruisers draggin pipes and can't go down any further. Cars , actually can't say that I've ever had a car cross over with me around on 17.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Shoulda let us know you were coming over.

I drove by your house again last week.
    Glad to hear it's not the norm.

I will post up before I head over next time, but you'll probably be in Concord by the time I have another day free to go ridin'

I talked to a couple guys from Burlington at the lookout today and wondered if it was anybody from here. One guy riding a Goldwing even offered me a beer...I chuckled thinking he was cracking a joke then I realized he was dead serious. He was sittin' on the guardrail drinking a beer himself and offering to share the "wealth." I respectfully declined his generous offer.

Rt 17 today

My wife on her YZF600 and me on my ZX6R rode Rt.17 yesterday, too. We did about three passes around noontime. There were mostly Harleys at the time.

What time was the WRX/BMW incident?

Rt 17 today

About 2:00

Lifer

Rt 17 today

Originally posted by Nikon
    BLASHPHEMY

don't worry I am already thinking about setting aside a day to head up there...I just google earth'ed the route and it looks AWESOME!

Thanks for the map wylee.

'22 Aprilia rs660
    '18 Aprilia Tuono Factory

If you look down, you go down. That may be fun at an orgy, but it sucks on a bike

Thumbs down Re: Rt 17 today

Originally posted by wylee
    Took a cruise over to route 17 today to see if it was as good as advertised. It's fricken awesome!

If the assholes that don't stay on their own side of the road would've stayed home, the ride would've been better. I personally saw the results of a motorcycle crash for the first time; pretty sobering. A WRX was coming up and ran WAY wide in the first sharp right heading east....
    Could it have been one of THESE ASSHOLES ?

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Rt 17 today

Where'd you get that video Chris? Somewhere where someone might be able to voice to these people what complete retards they are?

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

Rt 17 today

Holy fuck thats some scary shit. Thankfully the road was pretty quiet when I was up there.

Rt 17 today

Good chance of it...it was a blue one with VT tags.

Rt 17 today

Originally posted by JeffL
    Where'd you get that video Chris? Somewhere where someone might be able to voice to these people what complete retards they are?
    That's a compilation of "select segments" gathered from videos that were posted on an enthusiast forum soon after the WRX was released stateside in early 2001. Sadly enough, I believe one of those drivers (sic) actually rides a bike. Probably an SV.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Rt 17 today

Fuckin' knobs................

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100