Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Where the Rubber meets the road.

Where the Rubber meets the road.

Im a bit out of the loop on recent tire developments. I know many of you are big track guys, and many are street folks. I do something like 10% track 90% street. Perhaps you can help me by letting me know what you run, and if you suggest it. Factors are: grip, longevity, price, and taste, but not in that order.

I just started the bike today (first time this year!), went for a warm up ride, changed the oil, and had a flat rear tire by the time the oil change was done. Super. Looks like I ran something over and it is still in there.

The 2007.5 tuono rear tire is a 190/50 ZR17 (it can also take a 190/55, not sure what the diff would be).

If there are any pre-season deals out there (bostonmoto, duncanmoto, larrys tire world, etc.) I would love to hear about them. Im looking at the Pilot power 2CTs, supercorsas, or pilot power pures, but am still searching. Also, if I order them for cheap online, does anyone in the RI/southern mass area mount for a small fee/beer? Only experienced hands please, I have those gorgeous Aprilia blue wheels and am scared of getting them dinged up on a tire changing machine.
    Thanks all.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by NeverlosT; 03-13-11 at 08:40 PM.
    Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Re: Where the Rubber meets the road.

TIMMYDUCK

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

We (Boston Moto) mount on loose rims for $20 a rim if you take the old tires. As for tires, the pilot pures are a good deal right now. I think for 120/180 you're looking at about $300 a set for a very good supersport tire. Buy from us and we mount for free as always.

Call us at the shop 508-241-2666 for an instant price on any tire you are considering.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

And we won't scratch your rims. Promise.

If Mounting and balancing isn't too much of an issue for you, sportbiketrackgear.com is running a dunlop special.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7780

looks like $229. with free shipping.

just checked those out timmy, those look very nice, im gonna snoop around until tomorrow but that is a really good deal! thanks for the link.

Degsy im going to give you guys a jingle tomorrow, I'd like to see what you have and check prices. My front tire seems to have a lot of life left in it (only 2k miles on the bike), but there seem to be a lot of "set" deals. I am also interested if you guys are doing any tire/trackday combo things this year.

Ill probably just get a rear tire right now since the front is good and save all my pennies for a new helmet... I think mine is getting up there in years...

Last edited by NeverlosT; 03-13-11 at 08:52 PM.

'07 VFR800 (SOLD)

I love Michelin Power Pures... they just work awesome, even in the most aggresive street riding situations and on the track in the rain... . The unsprung weight savings makes it hard to want any other street/trackday tire. Mine have been on the bike for the last 4000 miles and are holding up great. When compared to the Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers I used to run, their really is no comparison... w/the Power Pures you can drag knee in the rain.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

I have to correct you BrianC, with the Power Pures YOU can drag a knee in the rain, I can lowside and roll around on the tarmac like I do every time I try to drag a knee in the rain.

haha thanks for the input, I am calling BM to see if they have the pures in a few minutes. The new bridgestones seem pretty nice too.

I appreciate the input folks. I hope all got out for a spin yesterday or sat, it was pretty damn nice, dispite all the sand/shit in the road. Saw some dudes on sportbikes without helmets and thought damn man, i mean, even if you dont care about your noodle, that has to be FREEZING! brrrr

'07 VFR800 (SOLD)

I'm a fan of Bridgeston 002RS tires. By far the best tires I've ever had on any of my bikes. This includes dunlops, pirelli, michelins...and bridgestone 15's and 16's.

I have yet to try the 003's though. I'm looking for more 002's for this summer.

As for 190/50 vs 190/55, the 55 has a rounder profile...just like a 180/55. If you like a bike that falls into turns faster and has less tendency to run wide when you exit, as well as a larger contact patch when leaned, definitely go with the 55 series. If your speedo sensor is electric, it'll throw it off a little bit because the 55 has a larger circumference (raises ride height by like 5mm I think). Recalibrate it with a GPS and a speedo healer and your speedo will be more accurate than it is now I bet.

Here's a link with some more explanation

thanks slyder that is the info I was looking for on the 55/50 debate. I think now ill go 190/55ZR17. I worried a bit about weight (like unsprung weight), is that why people go with the smaller tires vice the 55s?

then again, the tuono makes more torque and acceleration than I know what to do with, so unsprung weight probably isnt a huge deal for me.

'07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Any of the tires you mention will serve you well....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
    thanks slyder that is the info I was looking for on the 55/50 debate. I think now ill go 190/55ZR17. I worried a bit about weight (like unsprung weight), is that why people go with the smaller tires vice the 55s?

then again, the tuono makes more torque and acceleration than I know what to do with, so unsprung weight probably isnt a huge deal for me.

I don't think the weight will be anything noticeable really. I don't imagine it would be very much, as I was saying only 5mm or so larger circumference on the 55. Anyone at a shop have 190/50 and 190/55 that are the same make/model and a scale? Would be interesting to see how much difference there is.

The biggest difference you'll see and feel will be when you take the first corner...even going easy with un-scrubbed tires, you'll still notice the difference. If you like a bike that steers fast, you'll love the 55

190/50-17 - 622mm

190/55-17 - 642mm

If your bike came with the 190/50, and you are not going to adjust the bike to run the 190/55, don't do it.

This is not a bolt-on and ride. You will be seriously altering the handling of that motorcycle.

The Pure is the best tire Michelin has made for sport riding / track day use, and they rec. it over the Power One commercial. Lighter, better grip and more versatile.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Its looking like the happy people at BostonMoto are going to help me get sorted.

They say I just need to bring them two wheels and show them my belly button.

It sounds like I'll be trying the Pilot Pures in 190/55 as they have a lot of good feedback and the BomoFolks think the 55 is a good move. I dont plan on doing a speedo healer, but I use the speedo largely as a "rough indicator" anyway, so if that is the only issue then im not so worried.

Karaya one- can you elaborate on possible issues or are they largely handling oriented, like the bike will feel much different? I appreciate the advise very much, im trying to gather it before I pull the trigger.

Thanks to those who have spoken up with advise! Now if I could only keep people working in my garage from walking off with my tools, I would be able to get the wheels off...

Last edited by NeverlosT; 03-14-11 at 02:03 PM.

'07 VFR800 (SOLD)

There is a 20mm difference, which translates into you raising the rear ride height 10mm.

Degsy should be able to tell you what that will do.

My advice - DON'T do the 190/55 unless you adjust the suspension to compensate.

Check out my eBay store!

ok good deal Karaya thanks for bringing up the issue. I'll certainly talk with those folks about it.

You are right about it being a suspension setup thing because the Factory Tuono comes with the 55, in addition to an Ohlins rear end...

To express my thanks to those who helped:

'07 VFR800 (SOLD)

basically going to the 55 without making and suspension changes is gonna make the bike turn faster. if you're ok with that then problem solved.

I have the Pures on my SV650 and they seem ok. It is really hard to tell how they will preform based on the cold temperature riding that I have gotten on them so far.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    basically going to the 55 without making and suspension changes is gonna make the bike turn faster. if you're ok with that then problem solved.
    To a point, but you are also shifting weight bias of the bike to the nose with the ass of the bike 10mm higher in the air. This will effect how you put power down, and an easier to induce oversteer under power.

The 55's profile is v-shaped which does aid in turning, but other factors must be considered. The new Michelin 200/60-17 DOT is even more v-shaped, but since the tire is so damn big you need that to help the motorcycle turn.

Where the hell is Peter?? He can unleash some of his GMD mumbo-jumbo on this!

Check out my eBay store!

true but for 90% street riding probably wouldn't be a big deal.

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

If the rear tire is 20mm larger in diameter, raise the front 10 mm to keep the rake and trail about the same. It will ad about a half of a degree of swing arm angle, but the Tuono could use that any way. This assumes that the front tire diameter stays the same. If you are changing tire brands, both the front and rear tire diameters will be different from you current brand. Diameters can vary 30-40mm across brands, in the same size.

Last edited by gmdboston; 03-15-11 at 12:52 PM.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Thanks peter, I am changing the front tire to a Pilot pure as well to keep the tires the same. It is a 120/70 like the stocker though, so I am going to follow the advise that you gave degsy for me and raise the front end 10mm on the forks.

I can appreciate how changing the angle of the bike will alter the rake angle and make the steering snappier etc. so I will definitely be doing the minor change to the front suspension.

Thanks again all. Im stoked to try out the pures for real once this arctic tundra has thawed out some more...

'07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
    Thanks peter, I am changing the front tire to a Pilot pure as well to keep the tires the same. It is a 120/70 like the stocker though, so I am going to follow the advise that you gave degsy for me and raise the front end 10mm on the forks.

I can appreciate how changing the angle of the bike will alter the rake angle and make the steering snappier etc. so I will definitely be doing the minor change to the front suspension.

Thanks again all. Im stoked to try out the pures for real once this arctic tundra has thawed out some more...
    Because you are changing the front tire too, the ride height advise does not apply. What brand and size tire do you have now?

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Banned

I believe Ben is on a Dunlop stock issue front right now. Maybe a d208?