Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

running on the LE

running on the LE

OK so Parking Tickets

Sometime in the past some politician had the idea that leaving a car in a spot or for a arbitrary time should not be allowed. The claim was that it restricted access to some business or blocked traffic flow etc.

In the room was a politician who wanted the money and a LEO representative that knew indirectly they would benefit from parking fines contribution to the budget.

They wrote some tickets, got some cash, and life was good. If questioned by the citizens they said it was for their own good and safety.

So is it a beneficial law or a tax happily levied on many non voters in the district.

Now imagine a world where the LEO representative said well we have 200 unsolved burlaries in town and I can't afford to have anyone do this shit until there is less then 1 per week.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Glen Beck is John the Baptist

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

running on the LE

Originally posted by richw
    OK so Parking Tickets

Sometime in the past some politician had the idea that leaving a car in a spot or for a arbitrary time should not be allowed. The claim was that it restricted access to some business or blocked traffic flow etc.

In the room was a politician who wanted the money and a LEO representative that knew indirectly they would benefit from parking fines contribution to the budget.

They wrote some tickets, got some cash, and life was good. If questioned by the citizens they said it was for their own good and safety.

So is it a beneficial law or a tax happily levied on many non voters in the district.

Now imagine a world where the LEO representative said well we have 200 unsolved burlaries in town and I can't afford to have anyone do this shit until there is less then 1 per week.
    Let me ask you this. Have you ever investigated a burgulry? Have you ever witnessed one?

Bras cause cancer.

running on the LE

Stop wasting your typing energy, Will. You aren't going to convince an obvious repeat offender that cops are "just doing their jobs" when their jobs directly interfere with that person's lifetime habits.

'09 r1 white & red

running on the LE

Originally posted by jodymac
    shortly I will respectfully bow out of this conversation.

Bras cause cancer.

running on the LE

nooo Will don't go we need you!!!

'09 r1 white & red

running on the LE

Originally posted by jodymac
    nooo Will don't go we need you!!!
    you just told me to stop wasting my time by agreeing with Chris.

Bras cause cancer.

running on the LE

Well we have officially highjacked this thread to blazes.

Its my lifetime habit to look at a smooth highway and see a
    speed limit sign that says 25MPH and think that is unfair.

It exists for the benefit of the Lawbiz and no one else.

I do not run from LEO's and don't recommend it. But somewhere there is a law where if you were doing 45, 20 over in a 25 that your driving privileges can be revoked.

It is unfair and unreasonable and should be fought against.

Maybe its unreasonable to fight with someone who has the lifetime habit that all laws should be obeyed.

running on the LE

Well we have officially highjacked this thread to blazes.

I do not run from LEO's and don't recommend it. But somewhere there is a law where if you were doing 45, 20 over in a 25 that your driving privileges can be revoked.

It is unfair and unreasonable and should be fought against.

Maybe its unreasonable to fight with someone who has the lifetime habit that all laws should be obeyed.
    you never answered my question. How can we move on to your next moot point if you don't answer my previous questions? Is following this thread even too much for you?

Bras cause cancer.

Littering and........

running on the LE

Obeying the law? What a crazy idea!

running on the LE

Tell that to my physical therapist.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

running on the LE

I apologize

I thought the Investigate a burglary was a rhetorical question

My answer is No on both accounts

running on the LE

I apologize

I thought the Investigate a burglary was a rhetorical question

My answer is No on both accounts
    There was a point to me asking. What people don't understand about making a comment about preventing burglary or solving them is that they are damn near impossible to solve most of the time. The reason is that, unlike CSI would have you believe, there is often nothing left behind to identify the theif. Most of the burglaies that are solved come later when someone is stopped for a traffic violation, look at like - like speeding, and they are caught with the stuff on them. You have to realize that most criminals don't change and sure, you may have gotten a couple of speeding tickets and get stopped on the bike or in the cage every once in a while but that's it. You are not a criminal of sorts. Most arrests and a lot of solved crimes come from people getting stopped for minor traffic violations. It's an inconvienence for you but that's how stolen property is recovered and how a lot of people get picked up on warrants - bad people repeatedly do bad things.

Solving a brglary is damn near impossible in most cases. You hope to get you shit back when that person gets picked up sometime for something else and has shit on em - a good reason to keep track of serial numberss ofor your high priced shit in your house BTW - so it can be identified later.

About stopping em. There is a reason for neighborhood watches - a cop may drive through a neighborhood but the chances of seeing a thief at the time is very improbable. Most thiefs look like average people out for a walk. Now to prevent these things means uping patrol. Uping patrol means more visible cops. More visible cops means that they have to do their job when they see you doing wrong. Sometimes a shitty sidenote of the whole thing. There are a lot of stolen bikes, unregistered bikes and uninsured bikes. Those people tend to do bad things. You riding 20+ draws a shitload of attention to you and the cop may be looking for something else. Maybe a report came in from a citizen (oh wait, citizens don't agree with the laws), an automotion rather, about someone riding to endanger. In your eyes are you riding to endanger - prolly not but to the little old lady you might be and cops have to check out EVERY report.

About your comment about drug neighborhoods. It sucks and cops tend to increase their patrol there but our court system is so fucked up that keeping those people in jail is not easy. So they get released only to get arrested again. Cops have their hands tied in the matter a LOT. They arrest the same people over and over and over but the court system wont to anything to them - not the cops fault. I bet if you were to ask any cop out there they would say that we need harsher penaties for drug dealers but that falls on deaf ears to the court system - the jails are full. School buses speeding - I have no response and I can admit to that. All I can say is that the driver should realize the cargo and slow the hell down.

The speed issue has another angle to look at too. I don't know any cop that will pull someone over for 5 over unless there is something else going on. I've never been stopped for less than 10 over and round here they tend to give you 15 or so. Is that right? Well you could also say that they should either raise the limit or enforce it strictly. Enforcing it strictly would be impossible - everyone would get pulled over. Raising it - then they would have to enforce it strictly because that grace period would get to a dangerous level. Think about it as that grace level being the cops way of possibly agreeing with you that they should be raised, or that they are just not gonna be a prick about it. 5 over could be a lack of paying such close attention to the speedo, which everyone does but more than 10 over - you know you're doing it and it's a rational choice to doso.

I hope this gives you something else to think about, although I doubt it - you are old enough to be set in your ways and a habitual speed offender for life but you need to realize that you are going to get pulled over - accept fault and don't blame the cop for doing his job. Maybe think of it as you preventing the cop from doing something more important.

I have said my piece and are done with this. Unless you have a specific question this will go in circles forever and I don't ahve the patience for you anymore. Have a specific question you can feel free to ask but I'm done.

{gets off soapbox}

Bras cause cancer.

running on the LE

Originally posted by Nikon

I hope this gives you something else to think about, although I doubt it - you are old enough to be set in your ways and a habitual speed offender for life but you need to realize that you are going to get pulled over - accept fault and don't blame the cop for doing his job. Maybe think of it as you preventing the cop from doing something more important.

{gets off soapbox}
    "Maybe think of it as you preventing the cop from doing something more important. "

not even close!

while i know it's sickening it happens every week if not every day. your alarm call is on hold because the officer that handles the area is busy on a call, while there are two other officer's in the area busy on traffic enforcement (the highwayman)

highwayman |?h??w?m?n| noun ( pl. -men) historical a man, typically in a police car, who stop's travelers in order to rob them. (give them a ticket)

it's all about the money.

jim

"Molon labe"

running on the LE

Originally posted by sandman
    "Maybe think of it as you preventing the cop from doing something more important. "

not even close!

while i know it's sickening it happens every week if not every day. your alarm call is on hold because the officer that handles the area is busy on a call, while there are two other officer's in the area busy on traffic enforcement (the highwayman)
    Not what I meant. I was refering to preventative crime. Something that may have taken place just from a marked vehicle being in the area. Obviously an alarm call is more important than a typicla traffic call but if you take what I said in context, as preventing a burglary and such. Pay attention before you remark.

Bras cause cancer.

running on the LE

Not what I meant. I was refering to preventative crime. Something that may have taken place just from a marked vehicle being in the area. Obviously an alarm call is more important than a typicla traffic call but if you take what I said in context, as preventing a burglary and such. Pay attention before you remark.
    i though i did and was clear about the traffic enforcement not doing ANYTHING other than traffic.

imho: it would make it easier to commit a burglary once you confirm the officer or officers doing calls are busy and the highwayman being no threat to you seeing as he, as you put it is doing his job.

the alarms have to wait for the officer or officers doing calls, because the other officers are ONLY doing TRAFFIC.

the alarm call is more important!
    but not in the eyes of the department, the money generated from tickets is.

jim

"Molon labe"

running on the LE

To answer the original poster's question:

I don't think that it would be highly implausible for a harley rider to turn in a sportbiker, presuming the harley rider was not a sport biker themself, or did not closely identify with sportbikers. Of course their opinon of the police would factor in as well.

It doesn't suprise me that the bike got away. If that is his behavior however I'd say the odds are stacked against him in the long run when considering all the risks.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

running on the LE

...ride along with one on a Fri or Sat night and see what they deal with on a daily basis...
    Nah, he won't do it. No keyboard to hide behind...

He's an ass, Will. Why waste your time?

running on the LE

Originally posted by Stoneman

I know. I keep telling myself that I will stop but I can't help it. I am gonna try not to respond anymore. I realize it's not worth my time anymore.

Bras cause cancer.

Resident Bosox Aficionado mikem317's Avatar

running on the LE

Originally posted by highsider

Stop wasting your typing energy, Will. You aren't going to convince an obvious repeat offender that cops are "just doing their jobs" when their jobs directly interfere with that person's lifetime habits.
    At the same time; there's something to take away from this post.

Besides an obviousness in difference of opinion and the dynamic between us (citizens) and public servants.

IMHO, petty speeding tickets is just another way to tax the middle-class. That's all it is. Think about this. How may times do you travel over 55 mph on I-95? I have been traveling that road twice day since 1998. I have yet to see free flowing traffic travel less than 55 mph.

An arresting officer just has to pick his cherry. Pull them over, and tax them.

Speeding tickets are just another means to collect revenue for the business (er... government, right?)

Regards,
    Mike

Where were you on October 27, 2004? // Got Wallpaper? // Special Discount for Boston Red Sox Fans! // Because even Alex Rodriguez has feelings too...

"Everytime I see a Yankee's hat, I see a swastika just a little off kilter." -- Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Resident Bosox Aficionado mikem317's Avatar

running on the LE

Originally posted by ancosta
    To answer the original poster's question:

I don't think that it would be highly implausible for a harley rider to turn in a sportbiker, presuming the harley rider was not a sport biker themself, or did not closely identify with sportbikers. Of course their opinon of the police would factor in as well.

It doesn't suprise me that the bike got away. If that is his behavior however I'd say the odds are stacked against him in the long run when considering all the risks.
    +1.

Regards,
    Mike

Where were you on October 27, 2004? // Got Wallpaper? // Special Discount for Boston Red Sox Fans! // Because even Alex Rodriguez has feelings too...

"Everytime I see a Yankee's hat, I see a swastika just a little off kilter." -- Bill "Spaceman" Lee

running on the LE

Once more into the breach

The Laws designed to be flaunted should be changed.
    Speed limit Amount ..So people exceeding them pose a real threat to themselves and the general populous...

Pre Johnsons war on prosperity the local LEO could stop anyone walking in a neighborhood who looked like he didn't belong and question them. If they were passing through he offered them a ride to the edge of town. Then called ahead and told the next LEO he is coming.

So your agreeing with me that some of the purpose of LOW speed limits is to justify the stopping of any vehicle that a LEO thinks is suspicious.

Already at age 6 my kid knows there are some laws (speed) that should be ignored. He now has to make a judgement is this a real law or a LEO legal convenience.

I respect your position that they average LEO is not corrupt and gets up like everyone and does what his boss tells him to do. I also submit they are willing self serviing participants in a basically corrupt system.

This old Geezer has a lot of work today so can't play much more

running on the LE

Here, Here!!! Excellent post!

I think it's funny when people complain about hte police. It's always people that have had "run ins" because they were doing something wrong. Now I know that the arguement is always there about the speed limit not being what it shoudl and yadda yadda yadda (umhem richw) but the cops don't make the limits - the legistlature does. Government makes the laws, police enforce those laws and courts interput the laws. Police just do their jobs. Are there bad ones? Sure but there are bad everything.

So for all those that complain about police - dont' call for a cop to come and help when you've been hurt, in a car wreck, your house was broken into, you got beat up, mugged, car stolen, shot, stabbed, kicked, punched or anything else. But you know what? You could bad mouth the cop to his/her face but the next time you needed help - that officer would still do their job and help in whatever capacity they can.

Everyone that badmouths cops should try being first on scene to an untimely, try being there when a 2 yo falls into a pool and dies and consoles the mother, sees a car wreck with 4 teenager killed cause of a drunk driver. LIve a day with people calling you names, not knowing if the next person you meet is going to try to kill you, try to break up a fight of 7 people alone with backup 20 minuets out. These are everyday situations for police so just remember that the next time you verbally abuse one, for all you know that person just came from a crying mother whose baby was stolen in a carjacking.

My experience shows that the people that bad mouth cops are the people that just got caught doing something wrong and are too weak to just own up to it.

Go ahead rich - be a bitch and keep complaining. Just don't call for help when your place gets broken into, or your car vandalised or your bike vandalised.

Some people are so pathetic.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

running on the LE

Originally posted by Stoneman

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

running on the LE

My run in with the flashing blue and white.

Some back roads in Bridgewater (need I say enough) posted 30 mph. Group of us were traveling 35. When I say group I mean a Red classic Buick, 2 modern cars myself on a YELLOW 929 and 3 other cars behind me. We come upon a black and white traveling the opposite direction. Fine no problem. As soon as he clears the last car lights come on and he turns around. He passes the three cars behind me and camps out on my back tire. I move over to the side of the road expecting him to go around. Nope, he is pulling ME over. I shut the bike down take off the gear and ask the officer
    ME: what seems to be the problem?
    COP: DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE SPEED LIMIT IS?
    ME: 30 mph.
    COP: DO YOU KNOW HOW FAST YOU WERE GOING?
    ME: yes, I was traveling with the vehicles that were in front of me and the vehicles behind me at 35mph.
    COP: I ONLY SAW YOU EXCEEDING THE SPEED LIMIT.
    ME: Did you or did you not have to get around 3 vehicles before you got behind me?
    COP: I ONLY SAW YOU EXCEEDING THE SPEED LIMIT, AND YOU WILL BE RECEIVING A CITATION.
    ME: Give me that damn ticket I'll see you in court, make sure you are there......

Court time comes around.
    Officer not in attendance, charges dropped and I get and apology from the representatives for wasting my time...

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

running on the LE

Originally posted by mikem317
    ...IMHO, petty speeding tickets is just another way to tax the middle-class...
    WTF is THAT??? Only the 'middle class' get's speeding tickets???

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast