Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Sad to hear .... but not all that sad.

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

Sad to hear .... but not all that sad.

***EeeeeeBoooooooos***

"your wish has been GRANTED"

Sad to hear Bruce Rossmeyer died yesterday as he was trying to pass a truck towing a camping trailer on his way to Sturgis.

details are here http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/in...ssmeyer-killed

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

Re: Sad to hear .... but not all that sad.

Aside from the obvious influence of Darwin (no helmet) why is this not so sad? Was the guy a douche? I see his mug all over billboards.

no bikes currently

He did a lot for the motorcycle community. Such as sponsor a race team and stuff.

Stupid move on his part by the sounds of it, but still not a good thing.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

so many motorcycle accidents in a span of 4-5 days.

ride safe fellas.

Fuckin' marks

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

guy made a zillion dollars off the harly craze. good business man. sucky way to go. r.i.p

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

outlaw pickup trucks!
    RIP

Last edited by WordTooYoMamma; 08-01-09 at 12:13 PM.

I guess I don't understand how the guy in the pickup was at fault, other than maybe not having better spacial awareness at the time. He signaled to take a left turn and the retards on the Harley's decided to pass. It would have been very easy for them to have waited for him to turn and continue on their merry way.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I guess I don't understand how the guy in the pickup was at fault, other than maybe not having better spacial awareness at the time. He signaled to take a left turn and the retards on the Harley's decided to pass. It would have been very easy for them to have waited for him to turn and continue on their merry way.
    he may not have been at fault, of course. I don't disagree with that...but maybe the driver put on his turn signal after the first bikes began their pass, unaware of them....the turn signal is most likely flashing at the back of the camper, making it a long(er) pass in distance/duration, and they began the pass before it came on...it's possible. I can't believe they saw the left blinker go on, knowing it was turning left and decided to pass on the left anyway. Just doesn't make any sense, especially with his experience. Only those involved know the exact details. RIP to a stand up guy.

Last edited by greenmonster; 08-01-09 at 03:21 PM.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by TLRMan View Post
    Oh, I forgot to add, I charge double for Kawasaki's

"My God, you're gonna have to cool me down, give me an ice block to shove in my pants or something".
    -Barbecue Lou

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster View Post
    he may not have been at fault, of course. I don't disagree with that...but maybe the driver put on his turn signal after the first bikes began their pass, unaware of them....the turn signal is most likely flashing at the back of the camper, making it a long(er) pass in distance/duration, and they began the pass before it came on...it's possible. I can't believe they saw the left blinker go on, knowing it was turning left and decided to pass on the left anyway. Just doesn't make any sense, especially with his experience. Only those involved know the exact details. RIP to a stand up guy.
    Well the article said they saw the blinker go on then decided to pass, which tells me whoever saw the blinker should have had the intelligence to wait until he turned.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

We get bikes kilt down here all the time that way. Two-lane State Route, driveways on the right and left, no shoulders, a 10' drop to the cornfield alongside, speed limit of 55. Long line of cars behind someone about to turn left who has slowed the whole line down, and prudently, I'd say, before they turn into their shitty little gravel driveway. Bike at the back of the pack gets impatient, doesn't understand the circumstance and passes the line, and by the time the bike gets to the head of the line, left lane, he gets to T-Bone the driver's side of the left-turner. On so many levels, the bike is at fault in these scenarios. Predictable.

And yeah, it IS pretty damned sad.

Anybody read this comment at the bottom?

"The traffic laws of Wyoming, just like every other state, require that the driver of a left turning vehicle yield to both oncoming and over taking vehicles. This appears, based upon the article's stated facts, to be yet another sad instance where the driver of a vehicle failed to apprecaite that several motorcycles were riding as a group and allow sufficient time for them to pass before altering his course to make the turn. Simply stated, a vehicle making a left turn never has the right of way on an open road. As a former State Trooper I have found this misunderstanding of traffic codes to be the cause of multiple accidents and many fatalities."

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punjistick View Post

"The traffic laws of Wyoming, just like every other state, require that the driver of a left turning vehicle yield to both oncoming and over taking vehicles. This appears, based upon the article's stated facts, to be yet another sad instance where the driver of a vehicle failed to apprecaite that several motorcycles were riding as a group and allow sufficient time for them to pass before altering his course to make the turn. Simply stated, a vehicle making a left turn never has the right of way on an open road. As a former State Trooper I have found this misunderstanding of traffic codes to be the cause of multiple accidents and many fatalities."
    True enough. But as bikers there oughtta be no misunderstandings in threat perception. After all, do ANY of us wanna blow off caution on the chance that our epitaph will read, "He had the legal/technical right-of-way"? And for what, to save twenty seconds? Or even twenty minutes? Same with hitting intersections with peeps waiting to turn left into your path, or right into your lane. Yeah, WE have the green, yeah, the offending party in the cage will be charged, but WE'RE gonna be the ones that bought the farm with the little white picket fence.

I know this is gonna sound dick-head, but I consider myself responsible in ALL these deals where a cage could kill us. I just always figure the peep in the cage is a moron/drunk/weeded/celled-up and is subsequently, impaired. I say all this knowing *I* could get smoked tomorrow. Could someone do a header across a yellow line and catch me unawares? Yep! Could I blow a tire? Yep! Shaft/chain seize? Could multiple vehicles come across a median on I-84/NJTP/MassPike? Yep! But can someone kill me turning in front of me at an intersection or lane change? Nope. And that's where most peeps buy themselves a farm. And so it was with Mr. Rossmeyer. He just didn't recognize the situation. Kinda like JFKjr. flying his VFR skills and perceptions into instrument conditions.

And it IS sad. R.I.P. no matter the circumstance.

Not sure why this wouldn't actually be 'all that sad.' Total bummer.... Hate to see anyone lose their life needlessly, even if it's doing something they love.

Quote Originally Posted by Punjistick View Post

When I ride, I choose common sense over the letter of the law every time. I assume that every cager is oblivious to me. Passing a car with it's directional on with no helmet on is an obvious recipe for, well, death.

RIP all the same, regardless of him being well known or not. Always sad to hear of a fellow rider going down.

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org