Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saddlebags on a Street Triple?

Saddlebags on a Street Triple?

Hi all,

So after having withdrawals from riding I've finally decided that I'm going to bring my bike down to school this spring to fully enjoy the awesome Appalachian roads that we have down here.

Unfortunately this also means I'm going to have to figure out a way to bring the basic stuff back and forth from home to school. So far saddlebags seem like a pretty good fit for what I need, I just need to make sure everything is going to work out before I order a pair. I have a low mount exhaust so I'm not worried about them melting from the heat of the exhaust.

I guess my main question is; can I get by with just buying the bags without fabbing up or buying some sort of bracket to hold them in place? I'm looking at soft-ish bags like these cortechs: http://ridersdiscount.com/street-gear/luggage/89107.php and am worried that they are going to be flapping around if I don't have some sort of mounting bracket. I don't have any experience using any onboard luggage so any help/tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys/gals,
    Andy

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Tailbag not an option?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

Re: Saddlebags on a Street Triple?

Kreiga backpack/rucksack. Awesomely good equipment.

http://www.kriega.com/

They usually have straps on the bottoms of them.

I have a set of Nelson Riggs that I use on my Bandit. I run one strap through the grab handle, and one strap through the rear footpeg mount.

I don't have any issues with them "flapping about" and they don't really sag that much either.

Here's a set of Nelson Riggs that go for less then those cortechs.
    http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/...addlebags.html

They also have the dual-mounting feature, similar to cortech, so you can strap a Nelson-Rigg tailbag to them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjmPieoekw8

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Tailbag not an option?
    No it definitely is, in fact I'm debating getting both saddlebags and a tailbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Kreiga backpack/rucksack. Awesomely good equipment.

http://www.kriega.com/
    A tad too expensive for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    They usually have straps on the bottoms of them.

I have a set of Nelson Riggs that I use on my Bandit. I run one strap through the grab handle, and one strap through the rear footpeg mount.

I don't have any issues with them "flapping about" and they don't really sag that much either.

Here's a set of Nelson Riggs that go for less then those cortechs.
    http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/...addlebags.html

They also have the dual-mounting feature, similar to cortech, so you can strap a Nelson-Rigg tailbag to them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjmPieoekw8
    Hmmm that does look pretty nice. I love the quick release system too, looks very handy. I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

So do you guys think I'll be ok running them without a supporting bracket?

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by mell0 View Post

Yes as long as you have a rear grab handle, and a rear passenger footpeg mount. You should be fine.

...I have your pants!!!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Most fabric saddle bags won't work well with a street triple. I'm sure drinkingmymilk will chime in.
    But because the stock exhaust are up high the bags sit right one them. Thanks to this I scores a sweet deal on the bags that I currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Most fabric saddle bags won't work well with a street triple. I'm sure drinkingmymilk will chime in.
    But because the stock exhaust are up high the bags sit right one them. Thanks to this I scores a sweet deal on the bags that I currently have.
    Ah, that's right those things have high pipes!

Yeah, I would definitely go with a saddlebag mount.

...I have your pants!!!

In his post he states I have low mount exhaust's.

Check these out. I have them for my FZ6

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6896/817/

someone mentioned using pvc pipe on the rear footpegs to keep the bags out from the bodywork and out of the wheel well.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco61 View Post
    In his post he states I have low mount exhaust's.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post

For $385??? Yikes!

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by noxin View Post
    someone mentioned using pvc pipe on the rear footpegs to keep the bags out from the bodywork and out of the wheel well.
    Hmm that is a pretty good idea if they sag down towards the wheel. Hopefully they won't but I'll definitely keep that in mind.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

For $385??? Yikes!
    Yeah they are pricey for the Trumpets, mine weren't that expensive. Just showing it to you because they are a relatively new option and meet your requirements.

No it definitely is, in fact I'm debating getting both saddlebags and a tailbag.

A tad too expensive for my taste.

Hmmm that does look pretty nice. I love the quick release system too, looks very handy. I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

I wouldn't trust them. They'll move around rubbing your paint, shifting weight as the bike leans. The striples rear pegs are pretty far foward which is another reason I couldn't make the cortechs work right.

Those look awesome, but the price is insane. Your better off with this set up, which I plan on ordering at some point. It's a little more money for a much better solution imo. as the wife and I love over nighters on the bike the locking luggage and water proof is a huge plus.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4386/699/

and one of these two cases, still on the fence.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/1876/578/

or

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/603/562/

Last edited by drinkingmymilk; 01-30-12 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
    I wouldn't trust them. They'll move around rubbing your paint, shifting weight as the bike leans. The striples rear pegs are pretty far foward which is another reason I couldn't make the cortechs work right.

Those look awesome, but the price is insane. Your better off with this set up, which I plan on ordering at some point. It's a little more money for a much better solution imo. as the wife and I love over nighters on the bike the locking luggage and water proof is a huge plus.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4386/699/

and one of these two cases, still on the fence.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/1876/578/

or

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/603/562/
    yeah they were expensive but the two links you posted would conservatively be 300$. my bags were 250 and mount very securely, don't rub my paint, come off in about 25 seconds and leave little traces that they even go on the bike when not in use. thats part of the convienence I paid for I suppose.

Hey Andy,
    Those new things from Twisted Throttle are pretty slick since they keep the stock look of the bike, but are crazy expensive. The Givi racks you saw on my STripleR were around $80, which I use with the same Cortech saddle/tail bag tri-system that you were looking at. It's a great set up on this bike and gives me plenty of room for a week's worth of clothes/gear.
    Rob

http://www.motorbikesandparts.co.uk/....php?pID=23588

yeah they were expensive but the two links you posted would conservatively be 300$. my bags were 250 and mount very securely, don't rub my paint, come off in about 25 seconds and leave little traces that they even go on the bike when not in use. thats part of the convienence I paid for I suppose.
    Two completly different bikes, and two very different systems to mount them. Generic bags will rub and will move.

I know what I posted is around $300... I even said it will be more expensive. (It's actually $149 for the rack, ~$50 for the mounting plate, $150-200 on the case and $40 for the back rest.) For me it seems worth it as much touring as we do/would like to do. Just giving the OP another option as I researched the living hell out of this.

Personally I don't mind the rack being on the bike all the time so that's not a big deal to me. I plan on adding a track bike, so not like I'll ever need to take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by rsw81 View Post
    Hey Andy,
    Those new things from Twisted Throttle are pretty slick since they keep the stock look of the bike, but are crazy expensive. The Givi racks you saw on my STripleR were around $80, which I use with the same Cortech saddle/tail bag tri-system that you were looking at. It's a great set up on this bike and gives me plenty of room for a week's worth of clothes/gear.
    Rob

Have you been able to find them anywhere since you bought them? I searched a bit last summer for them. I remember reading somewhere that, they stopped making them.

Last edited by drinkingmymilk; 01-30-12 at 12:30 AM.

Lifer

I typically cheap out on these things.. but went for a pretty good quality givi setup on my new bike. I can honestly say the money was 110% well spent. Having quality, reliable luggage quadruples the usefulness of the bike, which in turn means more miles. More miles is worth some $$ in my book.

Don't be afraid to spend some coin for decent luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by rsw81 View Post
    Hey Andy,
    Rob

Thanks Rob, I was looking into the brackets and they are mostly designed to keep the bags off of the exhaust, which is a problem I don't have to deal with. It is a very affordable solution if the bags don't want to mount right though. After talking with a guy I know over at Riders Discount he's got me leaning towards the Nelson Grigg setup. Besides a killer price they're waterproof, have a lifetime warranty, and he says they mount up really nice with no sag.

Two completly different bikes, and two very different systems to mount them. Generic bags will rub and will move.

I know what I posted is around $300... I even said it will be more expensive. (It's actually $149 for the rack, ~$50 for the mounting plate, $150-200 on the case and $40 for the back rest.) For me it seems worth it as much touring as we do/would like to do. Just giving the OP another option as I researched the living hell out of this.

Personally I don't mind the rack being on the bike all the time so that's not a big deal to me. I plan on adding a track bike, so not like I'll ever need to take it off.

Have you been able to find them anywhere since you bought them? I searched a bit last summer for them. I remember reading somewhere that, they stopped making them.
    I looked into hard cases as well, but for me the luggage is only temporary. I ride my bike rather spiritedly (sp?) so the saddlebags would come off as soon as I got where I was going. And yes I was able to find a couple distributors that still carry the Givi rack. I just figure if I don't need the racks, why spend the extra $85 and deal with having to take them on and off over and over?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I typically cheap out on these things.. but went for a pretty good quality givi setup on my new bike. I can honestly say the money was 110% well spent. Having quality, reliable luggage quadruples the usefulness of the bike, which in turn means more miles. More miles is worth some $$ in my book.

That's what seems to be an underlying theme here, but I think the Nelson Rigg setup will fit my need and are of decent quality (no questions asked warranty).

Thanks guys! Keep the opinions coming if you have them!

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

I looked into hard cases as well, but for me the luggage is only temporary. I ride my bike rather spiritedly (sp?) so the saddlebags would come off as soon as I got where I was going. And yes I was able to find a couple distributors that still carry the Givi rack. I just figure if I don't need the racks, why spend the extra $85 and deal with having to take them on and off over and over?
    The spirited riding is a reason to go hard bags imo. Nothing will move.

I really need a photo of the wife and I dragging a knee, people always think two-up touring and think puttering around. It's a blast when the women know what the hell they're doing back there.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

I've yet to read person who regrets hard bags, but always glad to see someone else happy before I take the plunge.

Last edited by drinkingmymilk; 01-30-12 at 09:42 AM.

Sorry I should have phrased that better, I'll be taking them off for spirited riding no matter what I go with. The saddle bags are purely to help me move back and forth from school to home.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

Lifer

I've yet to read person who regrets hard bags, but always glad to see someone else happy before I take the plunge.
    I suspect we are straying OT, considering we're talking about a sport[y] bike here. But I adore my hard bags. Easily the best modification I've ever made to a motorcycle. I really should have put a set on my last bike YEARS ago. Back when I fist looked there really weren't any economical options. Shortly after I sold it I became aware that givi and the like had since come up with racks for it.

Hard bags are great. And I have no doubt that I can street ride just as hard with the bags as I ever did without.

But then I've always been a function over form kind of guy. Also I'm terrified of performance awards and usually ride accordingly.

Last edited by nhbubba; 01-30-12 at 01:34 PM.

Wellll it turns out I'm able to get the Ogio saddlebags for under $100 (waterproof, bottoms are heat resistant, and lifetime warranty), the matching fitted Ogio tailbag for $50ish, and an Ogio tank bag for a reasonable price. I've had awesome experience with Ogio stuff in the past so I think this is a done deal! If anyone wants in on the deal shoot me a PM and I can get you in touch with my vendor.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

Oh and I forgot to mention, since I don't use my rear pegs if I need some sort of support bracket for the tank bags I could (relatively) easily home make some brackets that mount to the rear peg holes. I think I should be alright without them though. We'll see.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast