Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First on scene of bad crash...

Well, I was the unfortunate one that came upon a bad crash last night in Rochester, NH where I live. I was coming up Rt. 202A shortly after merging on to the road from South Main St. When I came over a small hill and almost ran the Harley over that was in the middle of the road! There was still dust settling, so I knew it had just happened. There were two folks involved, a man and his wife, both say early 40's. The woman was in total shock, her left leg was destroyed, her head had blunt force trauma to it, and her right arm was all scraped up. Her husband was 50-6- feet from where she was, and not moving. I immediately called 911, and did what I've seen done by the cornerworkers so often..nutted up and tried my best to control the scene. DON'T move that bike, stop moving your leg, is the man conscious, can he move, don't move your head, can you feel me touching your leg.s, arms, feet? When the rescue team arrived, they took my statement. From what I can put together, a car was clearing the hill and put turn signal on to turn right at bottom of said small hill. FUCKING SHITHEAD CAGER behind that vehicle got impatient and went out around the vehicle, into oncoming traffic lane, and WHAAM! Bike absolutely high-sided, due to wife being at point A, husband being 50-65 ft down the road at point B, and the bike 50-75ft down the road from that at point C. The bike was mangled like it did the "high-side dance".

Has anyone ever had to deal with anything like this? I got home and found that her blood was covering me head to toe! I mean, it was all over me. She was bleeding so bad. I haven't ridden on the street for 2 month's, and now I'm not sure I'll ever mount up on the street again. Any thought's on this guy's? I'm still kind of shaken up, but I had to get this off my chest, and what better place to do it than here with all my friend's?

heath-

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove
    Traction by Franimal Racing Syndicate

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

it can be very traumatizing. i have been through a nasty wreck, luckily it wasn't bloody though. that might have been enough to get me really messed up in the head.

road hazards are part of the risk of motorcycling. i know it may be me one day. i try to relaize that every time i get on the bike and manage the risks as best i can accordingly.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Lifer

I was first on the scene of an aquantaince that crashed a few years back. Was with a mutual friend that got a call from the guy he was racing on an industrial road, when we got there seconds before the cops and ambulance there was not much left of him or the bike. We found out later the bike was stolen, and he was drinking to some extent.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Sorry to hear about this, man. I've unfortunately been through this a pretty fair amount. One of the worst was with a fraternity brother who died in the wreck....it's bad to see 50 guys crying.

It took something like this to sober me up to riding a few years ago. Nasty highside, and a few days in the hospital. I still ride at a good clip, but I am 10 times more aware now. I will also NEVER go without a helmet, as that is what saved my life.

Just saw a bad wreck yesterday on the Kanc: Harley rider rammed into the back of a car (how did THAT happen?). His bike was mangled and his wife was taken to the hospital. No helmets of course.....when will people learn?

I feel for you. Just know that these wrecks happen all of the time. If it was tough for you, imagine this: the cop who pulled me over on Monday of last week is the one who has to help clean up the carnage, and then go tell the family that their loved ones will not be coming home....ever. His eyes looked like they had had the life sucked out of them from having done this so many times.

Keep riding, because the squids and other riders need to hear what you saw and went through. You have lived through something tough, and these events are what make us stronger and better as people.

Lifer

It is very traumatizing to be one of the first on scene. My father was on the fast squad when I was a kid, so I saw many people having the worst day of their lives. There is no shame in being shaken.

Free Advise - One thing to consider since you mentioned you were covered in her blood is any infectious disease. It is better to be safe than sorry.

As the saying goes, dress to crash, but don't. I learned my lesson in my teens after rebuilding my MX'er I took it for a quick spin around the yard to warm the motor up. Soccer shorts and sandles. I was rolling around my track in second gear, the front wheel clipped something and the bike threw me. To make matters worse, the bike landed on me with the exhaust pipe on my arm. From that day on, its helmet, gloves, long pants, and strudy shoes as a minimum. Even though there is little we can do about inattentive drivers hopefully we can learn from their bad day.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

I've been first on crash scene a few times in the past 35 years.

only once a bike crash, that was on way back from deals gap 5 years ago, in Ohio. I watched my riding partner for that trip crash in my rear view mirror. he was not seriously injured at the time but I didn't know it. Scott was having a hard time breathing in his helmet (confinement anxiety) foaming at mouth a bit, I new better than take helmet off. Luckily before I could even get cell phone out of tank bag, first cage to come down road within 30 seconds it seems was local resident volunteer fireman on his way to church. his wife was EMT, wife stayed there,I controled traffic till LEO's got there, fireman drove to station a half mile away to get EMT truck.

injury.. little road rash at base of helmet, bruises, badly broken wrist, it looked a lot worse, his jacket was a one crash only jacket, it did it's job but was completly destroyed

30 years ago, a came across a cage wreck on I-89 in VT half way across bridge between S.Burlington & Colchester over Winooski River, it was a 4door T-bird (suicide doors... 68?) hanging half way over bridge rail, engine running at about 5000 rpm, driver was apparently ok, but needed help to get door open and out of car, at first we thought it was close to teetering over the edge, but wasn't really. It was winter time, what a waste of a pristine classic automobile

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

as a former EMT...

I was an EMT on an ambulance for 3 years in Wolfeboro, NH and in VT. I have arrived at many accidents both in an ambulance but also like you...just driving by.. It does take a little to gather yourself and then to act. It seems like you did the right thing. if you are trained in first aid or CPR you can do a little more but never move anyone unless they are in immediate harms way. I can't tell you how many times we arrived on the scene and someones injuries were made worse b/c someone tried to help...it really is a tough call.

Lyle

RandyO
    IBA#9560

THANKS!

Hey thanks guy's!! This makes me feel a lot better! I've seen some pretty shaky stuff, but this really hit home. Of course they weren't wearing helmets, like most harley riders. Unfortunately, they had no way to avoid this crash, the truck was completely in their lane! The fokin cager kept going too! So, if any of you that live in the vicinity see a dark colored truck with a driver side headlight hanging out, call the police and report it. Sorry for the vague description, but that's all we have to go on right now.

Thanks again guy's! I'm going to stop in at the hospital to see the them tonight. They were really banged up, so I figure they could use a friendly face. Plus I have to get her to release her records of blood tests to make damn sure I'm in the clear...

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

Re: as a former EMT...

Originally posted by Pearldog
    I was an EMT on an ambulance for 3 years in Wolfeboro, NH and in VT. I have arrived at many accidents both in an ambulance but also like you...just driving by.. It does take a little to gather yourself and then to act. It seems like you did the right thing. if you are trained in first aid or CPR you can do a little more but never move anyone unless they are in immediate harms way. I can't tell you how many times we arrived on the scene and someones injuries were made worse b/c someone tried to help...it really is a tough call.

Lyle
    Yah, a couple people tried to move the gentleman, but I put a real quick stop to that shit! You can really screw someone if you mess with trying to move them around! I put my truck 50-60 feet back up the hill in front of us, that's the best I could do, given that they were both in the road, and both had broken bones. She herself tried to move her leg, and she grabbed my hand and shrieked...NOPE, not moving you anywhere lady! The gentleman didn't want any part of moving anyway, so that was good, as I was trying to help her 60 some odd feet away, while shouting the basic questions to the 2 people huddlesd over him. Looking back, I did what had to be done, and I'm a better person for it. It just sucked real bad. I've lost several friends to motorbike crashes, and this just brought it all back to surface. Anyway, be on the lookout for that truck please. That sonofabitch!

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Another EMT and now Medical Student

I just want to come out and say it since it's only been implied, but you did a really good job. It sounds like you really kept your head and did everythinig you knew how to do in the face of a very traumatic and emotially scarring accident. That's more than many people are able to do in the presence of injury like that. Just know that the accident scene may be something you think about for a while and that if it really starts to bother you, finding someone to talk to about it can help immensly.

'01 VFR 800

I had a friend loose it around a corner at about 60 mph, went off the road real quick with me coming up behind him. The bike bounced down a banking, for his sake (I guess) he didnt, came to rest against some guardrail posts, breaking both of his legs and a arm. Nothing like watching your buddy of 15 years going down like that. Didnt ride much after that day for a month or so. He spent a few weeks in a hospital, and a few more months rehabing before he could get around again on his own without a walker or cane. Its hard to justify riding for a bit after that. It usually gets better after time. But only you can make that descion.

Seen my wife fall at about 10 mph coming off of a stop sign, washed the front in sand. And that freaked me out watching her light fall out of my mirror very quickly. But she was fine.

BTW you did a excellent job of controlling a very uncontrollable situation.

agreed MC...

As MC said..this will stay with you for awhile...shit I can still remember most of my ambulance calls..in graphic detail...You did a very good job....better than most.

Man oh man!

You are all a bunch of great guy's! I'm feeling much better, and you are all right. this will be in my mind for a long time, and I am all set with riding on the street for a little while anyways. It's crazy to think I am twice as safe going ballz out on a race track than I am riding down the road at 45 MPH minding my own business...

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

It will fade as all things doo.

I did 3 years 1st responder on I95 in Mamaroneck, NY

Lots of Spatula duty.

Crashed in Texas and when I came too I counted 14 cagers missing my head by 6 inches before one stopped.
    NOt so bad damaged ankle kept me outa Nam

Be proud; sounds like you did the right thing. I'ld be happy if you were the guy scraping me up

These days I'ld insist on HIV, herpes, hepititis etc. blood born pathogen from the hospital where the victim was taken.

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Originally posted by richw
    It will fade as all things doo.

I did 3 years 1st responder on I95 in Mamaroneck, NY

Lots of Spatula duty.

Crashed in Texas and when I came too I counted 14 cagers missing my head by 6 inches before one stopped.
    NOt so bad damaged ankle kept me outa Nam

Be proud; sounds like you did the right thing. I'ld be happy if you were the guy scraping me up

These days I'ld insist on HIV, herpes, hepititis etc. blood born pathogen from the hospital where the victim was taken.

Thanks man! Yah, I have my Doc requesting blood test results from the victim ASAP! I was flipping out about that this morning.

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

It's important for you to get the blood test results from the woman, but to put it in some perspective for you. Take HIV for example. The chances of contracting HIV from someone who has it, is stuck with a needle in their vein, and then having the needle accidentally stuck into you is about 0.3% or a 3 in 1000 chance. Granted, I can't predict your chance because I don't know how much blood exposure you had to open skin (chapped skin, cuts, in eyes, mouth, nose, etc), but EVEN if she had a bloodborne disease, and EVEN if you got that blood into your system somehow, it is not a given that you contract the disease. The tests are something you should definately follow through on, but you life shouldn't stop while you wait for the results.

'01 VFR 800

Originally posted by MC
    It's important for you to get the blood test results from the woman, but to put it in some perspective for you. Take HIV for example. The chances of contracting HIV from someone who has it, is stuck with a needle in their vein, and then having the needle accidentally stuck into you is about 0.3% or a 3 in 1000 chance. Granted, I can't predict your chance because I don't know how much blood exposure you had to open skin (chapped skin, cuts, in eyes, mouth, nose, etc), but EVEN if she had a bloodborne disease, and EVEN if you got that blood into your system somehow, it is not a given that you contract the disease. The tests are something you should definately follow through on, but you life shouldn't stop while you wait for the results.
    Right. There's an EMT here in my office that said the same thing. I have no open wounds that colud or would have permitted true exposure. However, there waws enough on me to warrant my being very concerned, as well as my EMT friend here too. My Doc has requested results, and I am waiting. Everyone has told me not to worry though. Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated!

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Way to go Heath...they were lucky that someone with a cool head was first to get there. Sounds like you made quite a difference...I hope they appreciate it.

I gotta ask you...was the first thing that popped into your mind "red flag all stations...red flag all stations...red flag all stations" ?? Were you looking for the corner marshalls ?

Crazy shit happening on that road. A group of us were on 202A Sunday. We were approaching the crest of a hill with a left hand turn, I noticed a bicycle rider at the crest of the hill and all of a sudden there was a car on our side of the road going aroud the cyclist. Scared the shit outta me.

Good job though Heath.

P.s. How did you get my last name for your first name.

Originally posted by FireNutzRR
    Crazy shit happening on that road. A group of us were on 202A Sunday. We were approaching the crest of a hill with a left hand turn, I noticed a bicycle rider at the crest of the hill and all of a sudden there was a car on our side of the road going aroud the cyclist. Scared the shit outta me.

Good job though Heath.

P.s. How did you get my last name for your first name.
    Thanks again Guy's. I feel a lot better having spoken with all of you about this.

Yah, How did I get your last name as my first name??

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

suf is obvious, havent met the others in person yet... but more importantly... why do those garage doors have dicks?

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

The OTHer OREO:

Hey Oreo_n2:
    I posted that pict in the wrong thread. Its over in the "gallery" section now.
    The guy wasn't home so we left cage shock dust boots on his garage doors as a calling card.
    -Suf Daddy

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    suf is obvious, havent met the others in person yet... but more importantly... why do those garage doors have dicks?

Suf Daddy.

Sorry you had to go through that. I only hope I would be able to have the same composure in a similar situation, if it ever presents itself.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast