Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

From the school of, "Why? Because we could!"

From the school of, "Why? Because we could!"

I am easily impressed by mechanical engineering efforts to change the game. Having said that, this really has little if any appeal to me other than it's a Ducati! The real reason I posted it is the subtitles...these crack me up!

"Three wheel drifting on dirt. Try that with a sport bike!" ...doh...lame for so many reasons

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Re: From the school of, "Why? Because we could!"

No suspension?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

its like a MP3 on steriods

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    No suspension?
    It does have suspension. Kind of a neato setup, actually. I've seen these at a couple of events and pored over them. I don't particularly want one, but they're a pretty cool answer to a question pretty much no one is asking.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    but they're a pretty cool answer to a question pretty much no one is asking.
    I thought the same thing about the Can Am Spyder. Until I noticed I saw one almost every nice weekend day this summer. Usually ridden by a weekend warrior type, and with little-to-no-gear. Except they look kinda goofy and they're huge. This might appeal to the same crowd. Especially those concerned with social status.

nedirtriders.com

I'd rather be on one of those or these:
    From the school of, "Why? Because we could!"-img_0568-jpg
    From the school of, "Why? Because we could!"-img_0569-jpg

than a can am spyder.

Guy who built that quad/bike did a pretty good job and that thing did some of the funniest donuts you've ever seen.

Lifer

The look on that girl's face says it all.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Quote Originally Posted by gregp
    The look on that girl's face says it all.
    Is that ninjachk?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I thought the same thing about the Can Am Spyder. Until I noticed I saw one almost every nice weekend day this summer. Usually ridden by a weekend warrior type, and with little-to-no-gear. Except they look kinda goofy and they're huge. This might appeal to the same crowd. Especially those concerned with social status.
    Yeah they do seem to be selling those fairly well. At least well enough to keep making them. I testrode them a couple times, and they really didn't appeal to me. I can see the attraction of a trike of some sort for extending the riding season, or if you for some reason can't or don't want to ride a 2-wheeled bike. There are lots of trikes of various sorts around, commonly Gold Wing conversions ridden by older people who no longer feel secure on 2 wheels. My neighbor just had his Gold Wing converted, as he approaches 80 years old. If, for some reason, I had an injury or something, I could see it. But I would much prefer one that still leans, like the ones this thread is about, or an MP3 (which I haven't testridden yet, but would like to, just for the fun of it).

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

Lifer

They *all* lean - some just lean the wrong way...

Theres one subtitle missing "Look like a complete retard where ever you go! Try that on a real motorcycle"

xxaarraa

Wait, so how is this different from the Can-AM Spyder or the Piaggio MP3 or the numerous other 3 wheel contraptions?!

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Wait, so how is this different from the Can-AM Spyder or the Piaggio MP3 or the numerous other 3 wheel contraptions?!
    It's different from the Can-Am spyder because it leans into the turn like a motorcycle; the Can-Am Spyder does not do that (the MP3 does). It's different from the MP3 in that it's a motorcycle, not a scooter.

PhilB

xxaarraa

It's different from the Can-Am spyder because it leans into the turn like a motorcycle; the Can-Am Spyder does not do that (the MP3 does). It's different from the MP3 in that it's a motorcycle, not a scooter.

PhilB
    Forget this 3 wheeler. Do you really have 203k miles on your monster?! Say more..

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Forget this 3 wheeler. Do you really have 203k miles on your monster?! Say more..
    Yep. Bought it new, ridden it daily since. Here's the thread I started when I turned over 200K: http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...highlight=200K

PhilB

xxaarraa

Yep. Bought it new, ridden it daily since. Here's the thread I started when I turned over 200K: http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...highlight=200K

PhilB
    VERY cool, good on you man. 93 was the first year of the Monster too correct? You got a rare bike,

I don't really get the appeal of three wheeled vehicles, except for this one:

Edit: Or maybe this one:

Last edited by joeswamp; 02-20-13 at 12:53 PM.
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Well, now you're just talking about aesthetics, which varies widely from person to person. I dig that faux Morgan trike as well (and the real ones, too, for that matter), but from a functional standpoint it's no different from a Can-Am Spyder; it's just a question of what you think is cool looking.

Sidecars, OTOH, are irrational as hell, and only exist as holdovers from a time when families (mostly in Europe) couldn't afford a car (and that due in part to dumb tax laws, not actual market economics). I agree the Ural is neato. But any preference for it over any of the other three-wheelers is due strictly to subjective neato-ness, not any sensible factor.

Rationally, no three-wheeler makes sense; they combine the worst of both two and four wheeled vehicles, while losing most of the advantages of either. So it's all about what any given person thinks is cool.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 02-20-13 at 02:36 PM.

Well there's a bit more to the Morgan than just aesthetics -- to me the key advantage is that you're sitting on the ground like a go kart and essentially driving a car that weighs less than 1000lbs. I've never driven one but every review I've seen says that they're the most fun "car" you can drive.

The Ural makes less sense (and I've heard they're crazy to ride) but at least you can carry a lot more stuff in it than one of those Can-Am things. Plus you don't look ridiculous. To me the Can-Am Spyder is the motorcycle equivalent of shoes fastened with velcro.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Lifer

I don't know,...if/when I lose my ability to safely operate a bike, a Spyder would not be out of the question for me. From what I have read, I would be trying to hack the vehicle stability electronics right away, though. That, and they need a smoother, more powerful power plant IMO (thinking V-4-6-8).
    The MP3's just look neat! I would love to try one! With a full 500cc's, they must move along quite well! A Ural does not excite me much at all, except maybe for winter commuting (2wd version).
    Overall, I find leaning 3 and 4 wheelers very interesting, but mostly out of reach for normal folks. Wasn't there a leaning Yamaha 4 wheeler a few years ago...?

Anyone dissing a sidecar has clearly never ridden one. Ok, maybe they're not the most rational thing ever built but they are wicked. Especially when you plop the dogs in it and ride them around or put grandma in it and fly the chair:

(apparently I don't have any pictures with the dogs outside the garage but it has happened)

Sidecars, OTOH, are irrational as hell, and only exist as holdovers from a time when families (mostly in Europe) couldn't afford a car (and that due in part to dumb tax laws, not actual market economics). I agree the Ural is neato. But any preference for it over any of the other three-wheelers is due strictly to subjective neato-ness, not any sensible factor.
    Unless you have a dog and want to go for rides without leaving it at home. I would love to have a sidecar rig in my garage some day simply so I can take the dogs out with me.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    Unless you have a dog and want to go for rides without leaving it at home. I would love to have a sidecar rig in my garage some day simply so I can take the dogs out with me.
    That was the primary reason I bought mine. My dogs come to work with me every day but I wanted to ride in sometimes. Sidecar FTW!