Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

School me: Ducati Monsters

School me: Ducati Monsters

I'm in the market for a Monster. Narrowed it down the S2R 1000. I currently have a 02 RC51 with minor bolt ons and suspension goodies. I know there are probably going to things I'll miss from my RC but hoping this is for the better.

Couple questions Are there any differences between the 3 different years? Is one year better than the other. Are there any reliability differences between them? What should I look for in a used S2R with 20k? Maybe some tell tale signs of potential issues? I'm planning on doing the maintenance myself. Where should I purchase a kit to do valve adjustments and belt changes. How much does it cost and difficulty level and time involved?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Re: School me: Ducati Monsters

I want to know what you're gonna do with the 51...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Cheater bike... that is all

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

The S2R1000 is a great bike, the DS1000 motor is a torquey beast. 2V maintenance is easy as pie once you've gone thru the process once or twice. Don't shy away of "high mileage" bikes, 20k is nothing. The bottom ends on the 2V's are pretty much bulletproof. Keep the valves in spec, the belts happy and use decent oil and you will be good to go regardless of what you get. Only things to watch out for is to make sure you get 2 keys plus the red key, and put the red key somewhere very safe. Also, if any fuel management stuff has been done, check to make sure the install is nice and clean. Last thing you want is some electrical issues from a botched Power Commander install (true for any bike really). Generally a clean bike with some miles (that's been ridden) is a good one to go for. The super low miles bikes you never know if the guy didn't ride it or if it had issues.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Air-cooled, 2-valve. Easy Peasy.

I absolutely love my S4RS. Tons of fun to ride, great street riding position, hooligan to the max. The motor is a totally different animal compared to the S2 as far as maintenance goes, I'd kill to have the ease of a 2 valve, with the performance of the 4 valve. I guess we can't have everything.

Ive never talked to anyone that sold their RC and didn't regret it...

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I want to know what you're gonna do with the 51...

Holding it till spring for better resale. Is there someone interested?

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    The S2R1000 is a great bike, the DS1000 motor is a torquey beast. 2V maintenance is easy as pie once you've gone thru the process once or twice. Don't shy away of "high mileage" bikes, 20k is nothing. The bottom ends on the 2V's are pretty much bulletproof. Keep the valves in spec, the belts happy and use decent oil and you will be good to go regardless of what you get. Only things to watch out for is to make sure you get 2 keys plus the red key, and put the red key somewhere very safe. Also, if any fuel management stuff has been done, check to make sure the install is nice and clean. Last thing you want is some electrical issues from a botched Power Commander install (true for any bike really). Generally a clean bike with some miles (that's been ridden) is a good one to go for. The super low miles bikes you never know if the guy didn't ride it or if it had issues.
    Thanks for all that.

Is the red key strictly for programming or could be used to to run the bike?

The bike is pretty modified with tasteful stuff

The current owner put about 500 miles on the bike. He had hip replacement and added comfort mods but he still couldn't ride it. Told me he knows of no issue but he also hasn't ridden it.

The owner before him put about $5k into performance stuff. Hoping that the condition is as described.

How is the cockpit. Is it a tight fit for someone that's 6' tall?

Anyone else have stuff to add?

Hopefully I don't regret replacing my RC!

The red key can be used to run the bike, but if you lose it, potentially expensive problems can happen.

Aside from the above, the one serious issue is the plastic gas tank, which can expand and cause problems.
    Other than that, it's a fantastic machine that does everything well and is solid and durable.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Speaking to doing maintenance yourself, and as someone who wrenched on 51's for many years and now owns an air cooled 2 valve L twin, the maintenance is similarly straightforward. Not rocket science, takes some hours to become familiar with everything and you've gotta spend some $ on Duc specific tools. I adjusted the valves and did belts last winter, with the exception of one small glitch (poorly seated collet) that Degsy helped me identify everything was good. I HIGHLY recommend LT Snyder's maintenance book.

Maybe a worthless comment since this isn't from personal experience, but I've read frequently that the Monster riding position is unique, some people really don't like it, I've read...

Oh, and you will regret getting ride of the old fat pig.

Last edited by jeantarrou; 11-25-14 at 01:26 PM. Reason: you will regret
    Hyper

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    Trajiks9 is holding it till spring so I can get better resale. Is there someone interested?
    Fixed

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    Is there someone interested?
    Dude, you know me. I love the 51. Shoulda never sold mine...it was amazing. Im gonna go peruse my gallery now and lament...

Quote Originally Posted by Trajiks9 View Post
    Fixed

Thanks buddy!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Dude, you know me. I love the 51. Shoulda never sold mine...it was amazing. Im gonna go peruse my gallery now and lament...

Well if you want it let me know!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    Speaking to doing maintenance yourself, and as someone who wrenched on 51's for many years and now owns an air cooled 2 valve L twin, the maintenance is similarly straightforward. Not rocket science, takes some hours to become familiar with everything and you've gotta spend some $ on Duc specific tools. I adjusted the valves and did belts last winter, with the exception of one small glitch (poorly seated collet) that Degsy helped me identify everything was good. I HIGHLY recommend LT Snyder's maintenance book.

Maybe a worthless comment since this isn't from personal experience, but I've read frequently that the Monster riding position is unique, some people really don't like it, I've read...

Oh, and you will regret getting ride of the old fat pig.
    Degsy did my valves on my RC. I might attempt it when the time comes.

- - - Updated - - -

Gonna go look at it today.

xxaarraa

I had a 2007 S2R 1000 with full termis and put 19k miles on it before selling it. It is the first vehicle on my "regret ever selling" list, and that list is long. As Scottie and everyone else already said, those air cooled 2V motors are pretty bullet proof. And I personally think that vintage (pre-09) was the best looking Ducati monster every made. They can be had for very short money these days (sub $5k).

The 1000ds is the best feeling motor ever. That is all.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I have to mirror the sentiment others have said about that motor. I really do miss the mill on my 900ssie. The sound and torque was wonderful but not too much. In hindsight, if I had bought the monster instead of the SS, I'd probably still have it.

Last edited by TheIglu; 11-27-14 at 07:51 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I have an 01 M900S and love it. Bought it with 100 miles and it has 14700ish now. Every time I ride it I think of what a sweet heart it is.

I did termis', stock just sounds weak and a power commander, it ran too lean and surged. The biggest real improvement was the suspension though. I don't know if they made it better with the S2R but mine was bad. Progressive springs that were too soft and compression damping that was too stiff and rebound that was too soft. Race Tech and Ohlins made it ride like a dream.

I only put 500 miles on it last year, just not into the street anymore. I don't care if I only put one tank through it a year, I'm not selling it.

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Posting Freak

I have a tricked out 95 M900 for sale.
    Tricklidz@yahoo.com

Made a deal on a 06 S2R 1000 yesterday with good amount of goodies on it.

Has 2 issues. Maybe someone can give insight.

While the bike is running it will shut off if you depress the rear suspension (you don't have to sit on the seat). Owner called me today saying that it's normal for safety and it doesn't shut off when you depress the suspension with kick stand up. All other bikes have ridden only shut off when you put it into gear while kick stand is down.

Also the neutral light is always on even in gear.

Thoughts?

That suspension safety cutoff sounds kind of strange, but certainly could be legit?

Personally I have a very low comfort level when it comes to any electrical glitches on used bikes, the neutral light would probably scare me away.

Did you purchase the bike?

Hyper

That does NOT sound normal.

Not running with the kick stand down, normal. A lot of older Ducatis won't run with the stand down even in neutral, newer ones will, I don't know the cut of. I completely forgot I put a kit in mine so it would run with the stand down in neutral only. Since the neutral light is on all the time it sounds like someone did their own "safety switch". Or something shorts out when the suspension compresses. The neutral switch wire comes off the back of the case right next to the swing arm pivot.

I'd give Seacoast a call on that one. You may want to have him fix it first, renegotiate the price or just walk away.

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

I made the deal with him already but haven't paid him.

So the chances are that its not some Ducati computer issue and most likely a short or pinched wire when the suspension depresses right? Just want to make sure i don't have to pay out on some expensive computer to get it fixed.

A deal base on a bike that "did not" have an electrical issue.

eeerrrrrrr....that would be my guess unless it actually has a travel sensor on the rear suspension.

The neutral switch completes the circuit to ground. My 749 has a plastic insert in the drum which breaks the circuit when the drum is rotated out of neutral. I would guess that monster is the same. If the light is always one its finding another path to ground. Could be a wire, switch, ecu who knows.

I really would not want to speculate any further. Seriously, give Seacoast a call.

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Whats weird is it always on. If it were a bad connection that would explain why it would shut off when you push on it. Something is moved, the circuit is opened, the light goes out and the bike shuts off because it thinks it was shifted out of neutral. But if the light doesn't go out the bike should not shut off.

that's just weird

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Emailed seacoast, see what they come back with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast