Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

School me: Ducati Streetfighter 1098S

School me: Ducati Streetfighter 1098S

Looking for a replacement for my S2R1000 and I've narrowed it down to the Tuono V4R APRC or Streetfughter 1098S. Leaning toward the SF1098S because it's just plain sexy and I really enjoy looking at it. Tuono is faster but it looks okay when compared.

I've found one out of state that I'm getting serious about to the point were talking money. It's a 2010 with low miles. The owner bought it from a Harley shop 3 years ago with 2k miles on it and they told him the service is up to date. I have no confidence that they did in fact replace it. So worst case scenario they belt hasn't been replaced in 5 years but it has low low miles, best place scenario is that it was replaced but it's still over the maintenance schedule period for belts, but not over the mileage.

Also looks like the tank has expanded but it should still be under the extended warranty for tanks.

I'm planning on flying out to inspect the bike, come back get the finances ready, and fly out again to ride it back.

If the belts look good visually, it should be fine to ride it back and replace it ya?

Also, anyone know these things? I've done valves and belts on my S2R1000 and it was pretty simple to understand. Am I going to regret working in this thing since it's a 4 valve?

Any reason to go for a Tuono other than its faster? I mean, any of these will have 55whp or more than my S2R1000 so I'm not really that worried about which one will be fast enough. But It does have quick shifter, slipping clutch and some have ABS.

Do the SF1098S have any issues?

So...any reason why I shouldn't get a SF1098S?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Re: School me: Ducati Streetfighter 1098S

Paging @maximX.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

It's a very cool bike. When I testrode them (I tried both the standard and the "S" versions), I was tempted. Telepathic and intuitive.
    Do plan on replacing the cambelts.

Check for sure on the tank replacement; the big lawsuit ganked a bunch of money out of Ducati (mainly to the lawyers), but also let them off the hook in a lot of ways for future tank replacements, so I'd look into that and make sure first.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I bought my 2010 1198 in 2014 with 2100 miles on it, original belts. I had them changed before I rode the bike. The 'old' original belts were virtually new, indistinguishable from the new ones I put on there. I would have full confidence that time alone will not damage the belts. Heat and miles wear them out. The only slight concern would be if they stretched, but with not much use, I cant see that being a problem.

I really could put the old belts in the new box and I bet youd never know.

The tank is a 6 year from date of in service? Or is it 8 year?

You should get the SF1098 because its fuckin awesome and the Tuono is ugly as shit. My .02$

Take the tank off, drain it, and open it as much as you can this winter. The ethanol will evap out and it'll return to it's original shape. The replacement tanks are the exact same material so you'd just be dealing with this down the road again anyways.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    ... I would have full confidence that time alone will not damage the belts. Heat and miles wear them out.
    I believe the other way around. Time, especially time without movement, dries out the rubber and causes the belts to take a set where they are bent around the pulleys. Much of belt damage is breakage of fibers internal to the belt, which isn't visible to inspection.

When/if I store my bike for the winter, I go out once or twice a week and turn the engine over (not starting it up, just moving the bits), and roll it slightly, to help avoid flat spots on the tires, flat spots on the bearings, setting positions of the piston rings, and setting positions of the belts. I change the belts every two years, regardless of mileage, on both my bike and my wife's bike. (For most people, including my wife, that would be before the mileage recommendation of 12K or 15K miles. For me, two years well exceeds the mileage recommendation, and is at least 20K miles and may be as much as 35K.)

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    ... You should get the SF1098 because its fuckin awesome and the Tuono is ugly as shit. My .02$
    This, I fully agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Take the tank off, drain it, and open it as much as you can this winter. The ethanol will evap out and it'll return to it's original shape. The replacement tanks are the exact same material so you'd just be dealing with this down the road again anyways.
    And once the tank is in it's right shape (or if you get a new tank) get the inside coated.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 07-20-16 at 04:01 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

According to this site (Ducati Fuel Tank Class Action Lawsuit | Motorcycle Defect Class Action Lawsuit) it's 6 years after original sale date, or 5 years if it's just cosmetics. The original sale date was 5/2011. What's weird was that I called Seacoast about this particular bike, gave them the Vin, asked if it was still under the gas tank extended warranty, and they said no. They also said that there is no more warranty fkr this bike. I don't know how the Ducati dealer system works but maybe dealers has to dig deeper into the system to see extended warranties?

I've head about shrinking the tank back down but I would rather just get a new tank, Caswell it, and be done.

I highsided my S2R1000. How good is the traction control for these bikes?

How is the maintenance on non-11 degree Testastretta Evo compared to the air-cooled 2 valves. I understand it may take longer to do the service but how is the difficulty? Special tools?

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

I can't tell you much on the S model. I had a 1098sf for 3 years, I rode it on the track and street in that time and sold it a month ago for $7k. The maintenance will obviously be more intensive than an air cooled motor but the intervals are reasonable. I never did it myself. As far as riding aggressively, you need to raise the rear ride height or get new triples to make up for the slow steering. Afaik the actual shock and forks are 1098sb parts. The difference is in the steering head. It's got a ton of power and it will rev all the way to the limiter so hard that you will forget to shift. The brakes are tits and he seating position is livable. The stock seat will slide you forward and force your balls into the tank, the Ducati comfort seat fixes that.

As far as to buy it or not, from everything I've read along with my personal experience, the S model wasn't worth the money. It's not a commuter and has trouble going slow, there is no protection from the wind in the highway, the bike gets hot as fuck and burns your ass, and actual track manners aren't that good without some modifications. That said there is a sweet spot riding the bike on back roads where it comes alive. The bike has character and beauty, and with a few tweeks it could be a great backroad/ track day bike.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

We agreed on the price last night of $8300. It's a 2010 SF1098S with 5600 miles. Looks to be in good shape with Akras on it.

Good deal?

To be honest, I'm think I'm a little scared of the power. My rc51 had enough power to scare me a little but I think it had more to do with the seating position. Also I'm more experienced and have more confidence now.

Traction control works well?

That bike will be like putting a penny nail in with a sledgehammer for 90% of your use.

Brakes are incredible.

Power is intoxicating but way over the top.

Ergos are brutal and it's hot.

You can do better for an everyday all around bike imo...but it'd be cool, no doubt.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Be Squid, Be Proud bostongixxer's Avatar

Selling my 2012 1098S Streetfighter. I posted up earlier on the boards and haven't tried to hard to sell. Been riding a bit. Reach out if you want to talk and maybe save the headache of flying all over the place. Not sure if we could make a deal, but you never know.

2020 KTM SMC R
    2006 GSXR-600 Race (LRRS #199)
    NO LIMIT

I'd be interested if it was in the neighborhood of $7900. Just being a straight shooter at this point.

Well gimme some input on the bike as well. This is not a for sale thread.

So you agreed to $8300 on a 2010 SF1098S and have to fly there twice.....

But you need to be at $7900 for a 2012 SF1098S locally??? What the fuck is wrong with you kid?? LOL.

By the way, Ive seen his 2012 SF1098S....its perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    I'd be interested if it was in the neighborhood of $7900. Just being a straight shooter at this point.

Well gimme some input on the bike as well. This is not a for sale thread.
    Input? More power than you can handle based on some of your earlier posts. Good luck.

2020 KTM SMC R
    NO LIMIT

Lol. I was just giving you crap. Looks like a nice SF but you're asking price is too high for me to make a real offer.

Have you had any bites? Seems like there are many low mileage SF, especially the 1098 ones, and they don't seem to sell. Most of the ones I've seen have been listed for months

As far as the bike goes, hands down the most fun bike I've ever owned...and I've owned many different bikes. It's not popular because it's a lot of power packed into the bike...easy to get into trouble. If you can find one as cheap as you say and in good condition, go for it. It's a sick machine.

2020 KTM SMC R
    NO LIMIT

I've used my 1098SF as a daily commuter and it's OK as long as you're not stuck in traffic. The motor and gearing will drive you crazy if you're putting along less than 35mph. Back roads will have you grinning like a fool but as with all bikes in this class they don't start to feel right until you're riding way over the posted limit.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

terrifying!

not a good commuter!

I have right hand finesse...but I was afraid to crack that throttle

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Interesting timing as I am looking into an 2013 SF848 instead of my 2013 Monster 1100evo anniversary. Haven't bit the bullet yet because of the crappy trade in. They ride differently and I do like the water cooled engine more. The SF848 is much more liveable on the street from what I heard. Have you considered it? More power than your Monster for sure and more rideable at lower speeds.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Interesting timing as I am looking into an 2013 SF848 instead of my 2013 Monster 1100evo anniversary. Haven't bit the bullet yet because of the crappy trade in. They ride differently and I do like the water cooled engine more. The SF848 is much more liveable on the street from what I heard. Have you considered it? More power than your Monster for sure and more rideable at lower speeds.
    The red one with the Remus?

Lifer

Yes, did you test ride it?

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I flew out and back Saturday with $8300 missing from my pocket!

The power didn't really scare me when I took it from 2-3rd redline but the wind sure did try to pull me off. It rode okay slow but not as bad as I imagined. My right foot has getting toasty but it was also 98 degrees and humid satuday.

Can't wait to ride it back on Saturday. Looking forward to that adventure.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SwiftTone; 07-26-16 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Yes, did you test ride it?
    I saw your posts on ankther forum.

No, I was considering driving up but was thinking if it was really worth getting an 848 with non fully adjustable suspension, then upgrading it immediately be it with Ohlins shock and revalved and resprung front. That's at least another $1500. Then the Remus just didn't look right to me. In the end I just decided to for for an SFS.

Did you and the dealer talk money?if so how much did you get it down to?

Lifer

Your SF1098S looks sharp! Congrats! I was ok with the suspension which I think is the same as the monster 1100evo. It's firm but compliant enough and I am not one to race it. We briefly talked money and there was a difference of $2800 which I found hard to swallow considering I don't dislike my Monster that much. I put a 14T front sprocket as the gearing is way tall for me and I just installed O2 eliminators and put 89 fuel in the tank. I haven't had enough seat time on the monster for the verdict. I think it is better. Still....lusting over the SF for the looks

So, I test rode a 1098 SF when they first launched. I honored the break in RPM limit, and found it was a docile pussy cat at low revs, smoother than my Duc ST3... I saw no issues puttering around Windham at 35mph.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast