Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

School of KLR's

Re: School of KLR's

The more I physically compare these to the 450's, the more I THINK I'd be better off with them (a 450). Oye!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

What 450 are you looking at? The 450 is going to be much more maintenance intensive. If you want something with reliability like the KLR I would steer you more towards the DRZ400 line.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Jay - when asking for advice from NESR, I found that a good guideline is found in this post.

just yankin...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-01-13 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    What 450 are you looking at? The 450 is going to be much more maintenance intensive. If you want something with reliability like the KLR I would steer you more towards the DRZ400 line.
    I THINK the 450's will be easier on me if'n I end up in a situation. The KLR's/XR's/whatever-the-fuck-650's are a bit tall on me. Okay, they're A LOT tall on me...

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Jay - when asking for advice from NESR, I found that a good guideline is found in this post.

just yankin...
    Shut your mouth when you talk to me!

Cough Cough WR450F.....Cough

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I THINK the 450's will be easier on me if'n I end up in a situation. The KLR's/XR's/whatever-the-fuck-650's are a bit tall on me. Okay, they're A LOT tall on me...

The 450s are just as tall, if not taller (assuming you're talking about a CRF450 or equivalent). Again, look at a DR650 -- lower seat height from the factory.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    The 450s are just as tall, if not taller (assuming you're talking about a CRF450 or equivalent). Again, look at a DR650 -- lower seat height from the factory.

--mark
    That's not been my experience thus far. Never mind what it says on paper, I was just looking at 'em side-by-side this morning. It sure seemed the CRF was about 3-4" lower at the seat. And I'm guessing the 450's are certainly lighter...

Lifer

The 1996 and newer DR650's have a spacer in the forks that can be re-located to the damper rod, and a second, higher mounting hole at the base of the shock (which also requires that the lower spring collar be flipped over), resulting in a much lower seat height. The DRZ400 has a towering seat height, taller than most of the 650's. The 450's are certainly lighter, though. If you are thinking at all that you might be caught in "a situation", do not get a 650. They are absolutely no fun in those types of conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    ...If you are thinking at all that you might be caught in "a situation", do not get a 650. They are absolutely no fun in those types of conditions.
    Trust me - and ask anyone who knows me, I WILL get caught in those situations...

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Keep this in mind, Jay. How many times do you really see yourself taking this bike to work? Once, maybe twice a year. Look for something more around town/woods capable for you. I can see you taking it to your property and around town when visiting your buddies more than anything. You have a pretty decent commute for any sort of dirty/road toy, and you can't carry your D&D on it! Stick to a smaller and lighter 450 and I think you will be happy, better on the ice too!

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Lifer

I do ~50 miles to work with a travel mug full of caffeinated git-up-n-go juice zipped up in my tank bag on a 650 all the time.

I don't know that stretch of 28 that well. But really.. are thumpers really that shitty on the open road?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I do ~50 miles to work with a travel mug full of caffeinated git-up-n-go juice zipped up in my tank bag on a 650 all the time.

I don't know that stretch of 28 that well. But really.. are thumpers really that shitty on the open road?
    When I leave in the AM, traffic's moving about 60-65MPH. Figure from the Alton traffic circle to the Epsom traffic circle. Then it's about 45-55 into Hooksett. From there I usually just cut through some local roads, but you get the jist...
    Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Keep this in mind, Jay. How many times do you really see yourself taking this bike to work? Once, maybe twice a year. Look for something more around town/woods capable for you. I can see you taking it to your property and around town when visiting your buddies more than anything. You have a pretty decent commute for any sort of dirty/road toy, and you can't carry your D&D on it! Stick to a smaller and lighter 450 and I think you will be happy, better on the ice too!
    Ed's right. The majority of it's use WILL be up here. Like I originally said: old logging roads, discontinued roads, dirt roads, some trails. The more I think about it, the more I realize it'll be more like 80/20 dirt/road...

I dunno. Trying not to let the emotion of getting rid of the TLR get the best of me. I just don't wanna rush out and get something I'm not gonna be happy with...

Lifer

I see kids on clapped out DS'es out on 495 round Lawrence way all the time. They're usually doing 65-70 easy.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I see kids on clapped out DS'es out on 495 round Lawrence way all the time. They're usually doing 65-70 easy.
    Yeah, but you missed the '...Ed's right. The majority of it's use WILL be up here. Like I originally said: old logging roads, discontinued roads, dirt roads, some trails...' part...

The dual sport lc4. The non adventury thingy.
    Serious.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Yeah, but you missed the '...Ed's right.

Naw, I was trying to toss another log on the fire. I agree. A little-ish DS would be the balls. I wish to hell I had your commute.

Lifer

I advise finding a DR350, dirt only version, with street title, in the $800-$1500 range, or a WR250R, if you want to spend more, and can deal with the tall seat height. All of my LC-4's have been over-heating paint shakers that I wouldn't trust going very far on, never mind the nose bleed seat heights. A purchase like this is all about how much you want to spend. Keep in mind that a *brand new* CRF250L can be had for, what, $4000?
    Another bike to consider is an XR or XL600, if you don't mind kicking. XR250's and 400's can be found for reasonable money, are quite capable for what you want to do with them. There are plenty around that have been street titled over the years.
    IMO- *None of these bikes* will be comfortable on a highway for any amount of time. 1 exit jump, maybe, but any more than that will be painful and scary. Besides, you will find that you want decent tires (knobbies!), and they will turn to dust quickly with any extended pavement rides.

Just to be clear: I have zero intention of using this on a 'highway' - as in interstate. The only 'highway' it'll see is NH route 28...

You know you're from NH when you refer to 'the highway' as the two-lane twisty road that cuts through town...

Lifer

You know you're from NH when you refer to 'the highway' as the two-lane twisty road that cuts through town...
    Yeep.. My yuppification continues.

That new CRF250L sure seems nifty.
    I like the look of Not Sure's WR250 too.

Lifer

Just to be clear: I have zero intention of using this on a 'highway' - as in interstate. The only 'highway' it'll see is NH route 28...

Ah. I see. I still recommend a DR350, XR250/400. Good enough on the street, and still fun in the dirt. I did not enjoy my DRZ very much. It was too tall, had strange "Achilles Heel" issues (2nd gear bushing, horrendous seat, 1 gear short, and paper thin cases mostly) that the others do not (the XR400 is only a 5 speed, IIRC, but the 1-5 spread is maybe wider). Giving up e-start is tough, though.

Sounds like you don't want a KLR. It is NOT a bike for mostly dirt riding.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Sounds like you don't want a KLR. It is NOT a bike for mostly dirt riding.
    With all the input, that seems logical. I think a 400/450 aimed more at dirt is more my joint...

I DO appreciate the feedback from everyone!

In that case, like peejey suggested before, a slightly detuned modern bike, like the wr, would be first on my list.
    Then the xr400, dr350, if you want real simplicity.
    A true 50-50 is sort of a mythical creature anyways, each bike has pluses and minuses and nuances that make it better or worse at x&y.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Just to be clear: I have zero intention of using this on a 'highway' - as in interstate.
    Yeah, definitely stick with smaller than a 650. My first dualsport was a 98 DR350SE. It'll do 70-75mph fine with stock gearing, it's smaller/lighter than the 650's, 6-speed transmission, shorter seat height than most, and real simple to work on (air cooled, screw valve adjusters). The 98/99's have better suspensions.
    The newer DRZ's are faster and newer tech, but have a 5-speed, liquid-cooled, taller seat, and shim-under-bucket valve adjustments.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast