Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

School me on pre-fab sheds?

xxaarraa

School me on pre-fab sheds?

I am looking to put in a pre-fab shed on the lot of a two-family and looking for some pointers from folks who have done this before. I am checking with my lawyer on permits, as I am told that any non-movable (immovable?) structure needs to be permitted. Here's what I would like:

Questions I am hoping for tips on -

• If the price doesn't include installation, what should I budget for someone to put this together?
    • Any weather sealing or other enhancements that are a must have, in addition to whatever the manufacturer sends?
    • My intended use is to store bikes, and a workspace to work on them. If so, anything I should plan for during the initial purchase / installation?
    • Is Home Depot an OK place to buy them or are there better places for these pre-fab units?

Thanks all.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: School me on pre-fab sheds?

Is that one of those plastic jobbies.
    If so, I would pass. I helped a friend assemble one. It has blown away two or three times now. He lives in a PUD that doesn't really have any tree cover and the winds get a little ridiculous. Still, I think it should have held up. He had to chain and post the damned thing to the ground. At this point he probably should have just got something real.

It is not very secure, I could probably kick the door in myself. It hasn't held up to the elements. And really isn't all that aesthetically pleasing.

Basically, I think it sucks.

It is easy to put together. I wouldn't think of paying someone else to do it. Buddys was pretty straightforward tab A into slot B type stuff.

xxaarraa

I really don't know what it is. Looking at specs on home depot's site, it says:

High-density polyethylene plastic and powder-coated steel
    Dimensions: 15 ft. x 8 ft., total sq. ft. 108.75, total cu. ft. 749.5
    2 sets of doors for dual access to the shed with internal spring latch, interior dead bolts and exterior padlock loop
    2 large skylights
    2 latch-n-lock shatter proof windows with shutters are designed with polycarbonate panels that slide open for ventilation
    Stain-resistant polyethylene plastic flooring, must be supported by a foundation
    One 90 in. x 9 in. shelf, 4 corner shelves, two 16 in. peg strips with tool hooks
    6 small skylights, 2 screened vents
    10-year limited warranty
    Comes in 3 boxes

It's $1700 for just the shed or $2300 for it installed. Reading reviews of it on home depot's site, folks say the $600 is money well spent because it's supposedly a total PIA.

What's the deal with foundation and flooring for one of these sheds? Do these just pop on the top of the grass (vacant area in lot is currently covered with grass) or am I looking at digging and pouring concrete etc.?

Lifer

Yeah, plastic. Pass.
    "Powder-coated steel" that's funny. I'm guessing they're talking about the hinges and maybe a couple hardware brackets to hold the walls together (barely). You're still talking about a structure basically made out of laundry detergent jugs. Picture those kids' push cars.

My buddy laid down pavers. He didn't do a very good job prep'ing the ground and it shows. But for the level of $ and time he put into it the setup works.. until the wind blows.

I would go to your most local shed builder. Box stores tend to use lower grade components while they cost as much as a a quality built shed from your local guys.

For most applications setting four or six cinder blocks in the ground (level) is an adequate foundation for a shed, also not considered a permanent foundation.

Many more floor plans/door configurations are available. It's just a better product for the same to marginally more money.

Last edited by loudbeard; 09-05-16 at 12:59 PM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

First, get a new lawyer. MA law states that structures under 200 SF does not require a building permit. Some towns weasel, for example Boston requires a $50 land use permit, but the shed itself is a black box.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dps/i...780-8th-51.pdf R105.2

....a building permit is not required for the following activities:

1. One story detached accessory structure used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, but not garages, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
    There are other exemptions for walls, fences, decks, etc.

In MA if they assemble it on site there's no sales tax, so that's what most do.

On another forum two builders came up as very good:

Post Woodworking Sheds | est. 1962

Ponderosa Pines | Custom Sheds in New England

The builder we used passed away. Others went to Better Barns Hardware and Plans - Welcome to Better Barns and bought plans. Not sure how much you save.

Reed's Ferry advertises on 98.5. My brother has one. They are respectable, personally I thought my shed far better made.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-05-16 at 01:22 PM.

Check out Skips outdoor accents on 146 in Sutton. Great sheds. Skips Outdoor Accents (800) 822-7547

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

at woodstock faie there was

Brookside (?)
    Brooklyn, Ct

that had what I considered good pricing for a regular wood shed with floor

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    I am checking with my lawyer on permits.
    why ? you think your local code enforcement/building inspector is going to tell a lawyer something different than he would tell you ?

if any professional needs to get involved, it would be a surveyor to certify that you meet building setbacks, again, a question for local code enforcement

Last edited by RandyO; 09-07-16 at 11:12 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Kloter and Barn Yard are two popular places. The quality difference is night and day vs the big box stores.

xxaarraa

Thanks for the suggestion guys. The non store-brand sheds seem quite a bit more expensive - like $1500 more. On something like a prefab shed that only costs $3k or so, is paying 50% more worth it (local brand sheds are $4500-5000).

They always have some pretty big discounts on them at the Big E coming up shortly in west Springfield. Not sure how far they travel...

It all depends on how long you want it to last and what you'll be putting in it.

We plan on retiring in our house and I see mine as a second garage so it must be capable of supporting a lot of weight for potential toys down the line (bikes, sleds, or a 4 wheeler). This means it has to be solid enough to withstand a heavy snow load etc. to protect these things. I've seen enough sheds rotting, falling over, etc to understand the importance of quality. When I saw how expensive quality is I ended up building mine.

My neighbor got a quote from Reeds Ferry for a 12x16 with two windows, an overhead door along with the standard entry door, a storage loft, and vinyl siding for just under 9 grand.

The shed I built is the same construction as the Reeds Ferry he was quoted but better in several areas. Mine has a 2x8 base instead of the 2x6 Reeds Ferry uses. It also has PVC trim, 6 windows, a drop ladder in the loft, and sits on 11 concrete footings reaching 4 feet deep in to the ground. It cost me $4200 to build. Scrap the PVC trim and overhead door and you're almost $1,000 less which puts you at $3,200 for a structure that's worthy of supporting the heaviest and most valuable items.

Another option if you want quality is to have a company like Reeds Ferry come out and do the framing, sheathing, and roof. You can finish the rest yourself and save quite a bit of money. A friend of mine did this and while it wasn't as cheap as building the whole thing himself, it saved him a good chunk of change.

Last edited by BSR6; 09-09-16 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. The non store-brand sheds seem quite a bit more expensive - like $1500 more. On something like a prefab shed that only costs $3k or so, is paying 50% more worth it (local brand sheds are $4500-5000).
    As Gary mentioned there are sales currently going on now and through the Big E with basic sheds discounted down around to prefab cost levels. Depending on size and features there are several options on sale for around $3k at Kloter which you'll get 2x4 and plywood construction. The ones you typically see at Home Depot will be 2x3 and OSB. Kloter Farms Shed Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    They always have some pretty big discounts on them at the Big E coming up shortly in west Springfield. Not sure how far they travel...

Lifer

That sale looks pretty awesome.. I got a carpenter to build mine.. so I'd imagine it's a small scale.. definitely better than HD, but not sure if it's as crazy as a Reeds Ferry type build. I did find out that if I exceeded a certain height then "maybe" the town might see it and complain? Also it was leveled on cinderblocks and thus qualified as non permanent. My neighbor also didn't care since technically I had to have xx of ft between the property line etc.

Anyways an 8x8 cost me $1,500 .. the cost would go up a lot for 10x12 or 10x10 so.. seeing the kloter farms sale, that seems totally on par. If you can get a more honest builder you might be able to get a better price. Ie my friend's father that I contracted to help build an extension to my house told me that the shed that was built was probably $400 worth of lumber and roofing etc... so the guy made $1,100 in labor. Is that too much? Well 2 or 3 days worth of work? No.. I think it's not too horrible.

At the end of the season HD and other stores (even BJ's and costco) clear out their demo sheds. For example, if I could have fit a truck I think with 12 ft wide path? They would have sold their '$1300' shed for $800 dropped in your backyard off a truck... Still all those options (wood and heavy) far outweigh the rubbermaid jobs as mentioned. Never had a good experience with them being sturdy enough .. heck if you fell accidentally and banged into the wall it would be like a bouncy house, not a solid structure.

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    //For example, if I could have fit a truck I think with 12 ft wide path? They would have sold their '$1300' shed for $800 dropped in your backyard off a truck... Still all those options (wood and heavy) far outweigh the rubbermaid jobs as mentioned. Never had a good experience with them being sturdy enough .. heck if you fell accidentally and banged into the wall it would be like a bouncy house, not a solid structure.
    I know several guys who've hired flatbed tow trucks to move sheds. Winch on, slide off: as long as you can get the truck to the site.

I believe the put a strap around the entire base.

If you get shed plans you can have a real lumberyard just quote on the
    lumber list , then you know

I wouldn't do it myself without at least one other to help etc.

I am struggling with a 10 foot height requirement, which all look like sh@t chicken coup, taller and they are a barn etc with
    lots of Zoning BS

Yes they will make you tear it down

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die