Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

School me-Super moto

School me-Super moto

Okay so I've been obsessing over Super Moto's lately. I've been wanting one for quite a while, and for the past couple months I've been browsing ads online to see what's available and what it might cost. I've also done some research on different models, and it sounds like the DRZ400sm is a great starter and all around fun bike. Even better is that I love it's looks. Problem is I've never ridden one! Anybody here have experience with one of these on the street? Or Super Moto in general? How do you like it?

I really want something I can have fun with, both on road, and light off road. No crazy trails, but I want to be able to continue riding if the pavement ends.

I'm not getting rid of the 636, that's going to be my track bike for this upcoming year, but I may keep it registered for the street as well. I'm also looking at used, not new. Does anyone have recommendations or general comments on SM's?

Also, does anyone know anything this bike?

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcd/3547139169.html

It's been on sale for the past 3 months at least. Just curious, being in Loudon, if anyone knew anything about it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2006 DRZ400SM

Re: School me-Super moto

Most fun you can have with your clothes on......

and I have this For Sale........FYI

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...clean-FOR-SALE!!!

The DRZ 400 is like the gsxr as far as mods go. There are a ton out there. I knew a couple of guys that had them and liked them. One thing to remember about a bike that does it all is it does it all ok but does nothing great.

Just a warning if you do get a supermoto. Dont bring it to the race track. Once you do you wont go back to regular bikes. They are ridiculous fun.

James

I wouldn't go any smaller than a 400. The drz400 is really a great bike and fits your needs perfectly. I wish I had one.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

reliability-wise the drz is bulletproof, the swiss army knife of sumo...a wr250x or a wr450f (would need to convert) are also good choices as well...lighter and more fun to ride but may require a little more maintenance...sold my street bike and bought a sumo and never looked back (only thing i miss is being able to commute on the highway)

more info here...
    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forum.php

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I miss my 450x.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    great link! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    great link! LOL
    sorry didn't realize it was dead, trying to find it again, it was a KTM 640 promo

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

I am almost completely uninformed about this subject, but it seems to me you have your track/street uses backwards. I would think an SM would be awesome as a track only (or track mostly) toy. They strike me as better for surviving drops (crashes) and easier to repair. Seems like a solid following of track compatible toys and upgrades. And really, what is more fun that riding a slow bike fast?!

Meanwhile I cannot imagine any of those things are really that much fun on the highway.

I'd keep a modest street bike for street riding, commuting, and touring. Then trailer the SM to the track for funnage. Maybe have a set of dirt-esque wheels on the side for on/off road fun.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I am almost completely uninformed about this subject, but it seems to me you have your track/street uses backwards. I would think an SM would be awesome as a track only (or track mostly) toy. They strike me as better for surviving drops (crashes) and easier to repair. Seems like a solid following of track compatible toys and upgrades. And really, what is more fun that riding a slow bike fast?!

Meanwhile I cannot imagine any of those things are really that much fun on the highway.

I'd keep a modest street bike for street riding, commuting, and touring. Then trailer the SM to the track for funnage. Maybe have a set of dirt-esque wheels on the side for on/off road fun.
    A sumo that will be reliable for any length of time will be a snooze at the track, and you would be limited to Loudon and maybe NYST. NJMP is not motard friendly. I raced a built motor motard and while it is fun, it sucks to be limited to a single track for the most part and it also sucks because of the maintenance intervals.

iv never owned a SuMo or taken one at the track (im planning on it soon though) but i rode my friend's CRF450 back home on the street and it was incredibly fun and scary lol
    still wouldnt trade my 1000 for anything in the world though. In my book SuMo is nothing more than a toy that requires a looooot of maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    A sumo that will be reliable for any length of time will be a snooze at the track
    This.

I'd be arrested instantly if I got one for the street, but if I had to choose it would be KTM 690 all day. I know a lot of people love em but the DRZ just never tickled my fancy...that's just my opinion of course. My buddy had a WR450 for the street as well, and it was so tame compared to my crf that I just wouldn't want to ride it. He broke his leg looping a wheelie and sold it.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Wow lots of responses! Thanks guys. I've found a couple DRZ's for around around the $3000 mark, which is what I'm looking to spend.

@pigman, that's an awesome looking bike and in great shape! But I'm hoping to spend a little less than that, plus I'd need to make it streetable.

I'm trying to figure out how to make this a reality in the next couple months. I currently live in a building with limited parking (for now), so having 1 bike is already a pain, having 2 would be pretty difficult. I'd really love to start my season on a SM though.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

The reason I want a SM for the street is because they're lower on power (depending on the model of course). Honestly after taking the 636 on the track last year, I never looked back to street riding. In fact I only put about 1500 miles on the street last year, the rest of my riding was all track. Street riding with it just isn't the same anymore for me. I almost miss my EX500 for this reason. I could get on it, rip through the gears and not be doing 100mph.

I feel like a SM would be a lot of fun to ride, and it'd be a little harder to get in trouble with it (maybe). I don't have a job where I can commute on the bike for work, so I'm not looking for something commuter friendly, it's purely for fun and around town.

The stuff I've read about the DRZ is almost nothing but positive. I hear maintenance is a breeze, and quite inexpensive, and there's plenty of aftermarket for it. Seems like the overall response so far is thumbs up for SM's? The few people I've talked to who have ridden them have said they're a blast.

2006 DRZ400SM

My 690 SMC was the absolute SHIT on the backroads of western MA, and at the track. I loved it. Since I moved to texas I do nothing but commute, so its not the best for that. Still capable, but not very comfortable or anything. Thinking of selling it for that reason. A sumo on the street can have as much fun in the twistys at 50 that a sportbike needs to be doing double that.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by AVI8_636 View Post
    Or Super Moto in general? How do you like it?

I really want something I can have fun with, both on road, and light off road. No crazy trails, but I want to be able to continue riding if the pavement ends.
    had an SXV 550 for a while. one of the most fun bikes i've ever owned. too much fun actually. backroads become serious playgrounds. pavement or not. i dont recommend one if you're not into frequent maintenance and rebuilds but if you get the chance to ride an uncorked one... do it.

really miss it but prefer the all-around freedom (and lower cost) of dirt.

one thing that's tough with supermoto bikes is for pavement stuff, you want stiff suspension. when you hit the off-road stuff, you want soft. riding babyheads on stiff suspenders and slicks sucked. but the challenge was addicting, "can i make it through there?" cracked up pavement and dirt roads were a gas.

central -> western MA has so many hidden gems. i never wanted to get off the thing.

Last edited by typeone; 01-25-13 at 01:37 PM.
    Beta 200RR

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

im actually thinking about a DRZ for the wife.
    while my KTM 690SM isnt a full on SM i rather enjoy it. the DRZ just wasnt what i wanted. theres a huge aftermarket for it. if you go into it realizing that you are riding a 35-40hp bike ,that compared to your 636, will feel like a slightly hopped up scooter with a lift kit, then you will really enjoy it. you will find yourself planning rides that take you to dirt roads. and when youre riding around town and spot a dirt road you will find yourself thinking "wonder where that goes" then turning around to find out.

the WR450 that shawn has for sale would be an awesome sumo but youll have to convert it (think $1-2k depending on how well you shop and if you find some used stuff). the up side is youll essentially have 2 bikes. throw the dirty wheels back on in the winter and do some ice riding or some trail riding in the summer

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Here is my .02 cents onthe subject of going moto, I love my DRZ 400.

Its a great platfrom bike, handles effortlessly.

Its my go to bike for local rat racing.

Try one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails School me-Super moto-drz-sm-400-9-17-a  

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Current whiplist:
    MST/Pikes Pike---------Transformer/Sky Hooked
    1098s-------------Interstater/Time machine( Just sold)
    DRZ 400 Tarded---Urban assault vehicle
    Road King---------Date bike/ Hangover bike
    XT 225-----------Grocery getter/Packie bike(For Sale)
    RD 350---------Giant Killer
    Past whiplist, I drink to them all.....

Quote Originally Posted by clutch View Post
    Here is my .02 cents onthe subject of going moto, I love my DRZ 400.

Its a great platfrom bike, handles effortlessly.

Its my go to bike for local rat racing.

Try one.
    That DRZ is SICK!

God I want one.

KTM, Aprillia are basically the ones Im interested in... The DRZ is a fantastic bike, just not where my money would go.

For the record, I'm considering selling my 690SMC if anyones interested. Make an offer.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I bought an 07 DRZ new. I liked it but it was never really what I wanted in a bike. It was actually OK with the little bit of off-road riding I did, even with sport tires. On the street it left a lot to be desired. It doesn't help that I weigh 230lbs and had stock suspension. I wish I did a little more research before buying it and got a real supermoto. Now I lust for them still, but the SV for a small street bikes plus a real dirtbike keeps me from getting one.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

What else can you go from this

to this...

On the same bike and its ok.

James

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by AVI8_636 View Post
    The reason I want a SM for the street is because they're lower on power (depending on the model of course). Honestly after taking the 636 on the track last year, I never looked back to street riding. In fact I only put about 1500 miles on the street last year, the rest of my riding was all track. Street riding with it just isn't the same anymore for me. I almost miss my EX500 for this reason. I could get on it, rip through the gears and not be doing 100mph.
    I guess we just have a really different perspective. Are you going to race? Or just do track days for shitzngigles?

I do days' for shitzngigles. I'm not about to trailer to hell and back, Loudon is fine with me. And what I ride doesn't do 100 that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    the up side is youll essentially have 2 bikes. throw the dirty wheels back on in the winter and do some ice riding or some trail riding in the summer
    That's what I would want.

I've searched CL for DRZ's about eleventy-billion times myself.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Ktm is a maintenance bike. If you arent afraid to dig into it or can afford dealer visits then go for it.
    Ive heard the apes are stupid fun and stupid fast. But its also stupid that they are time bombs. I dont know if aprilia has fixed their issues (I dont think they have) you have to let them fully warm up before you ride them or they blow seals. Couple of people on here have had them and had major issues.
    Look into husky also. Someone on here is selling a husky 510 or 610. They will be just like the ktm. Maintenance will be required.
    The dizzer is your typical bulletproof jap bike

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast