Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

School me: Triumph Tiger Explorer, and comp

Lifer

So after being all about sport bikes my entire life I spontaneously bought a harley a year ago.

I think my wrists and back are done with race replica sport bikes unfortunately.

The harley is a ‘18 street bob 107.

While the seat is absurdly comfortable and the engine is grin inducing.. I just can’t get into the seating position.
    Mid controls and mini apes makes me feel like someone is helping me off a toilet.

I’ve considered getting lower bars and forward controls, but that seems expensive and then I might never be able to sell it.

So trading it in seems appealing.
    Looking in the 10-12k realm, I’ve seen bikes like the ‘12 Explorer Tiger, R1200GS, 2016 ktm 1290 SA, ‘10 multistrada S, etc.

The triumph reviews seem really good but they don’t seem too popular.

The more neutral riding position with my hands below my heart is appealing.

But I’m worried I’ll regret it and the feeling I’ll surely get blasted for... I feel like this genre is a little nerdy and I’m a fickle bitch.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Your park avenue leads to..

Re: School me: Triumph Tiger Explorer, and comp

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    So after being all about sport bikes my entire life I spontaneously bought a harley a year ago.

I think my wrists and back are done with race replica sport bikes unfortunately.

The harley is a ‘18 street bob 107.

While the seat is absurdly comfortable and the engine is grin inducing.. I just can’t get into the seating position.
    Mid controls and mini apes makes me feel like someone is helping me off a toilet.

I’ve considered getting lower bars and forward controls, but that seems expensive and then I might never be able to sell it.

So trading it in seems appealing.
    Looking in the 10-12k realm, I’ve seen bikes like the ‘12 Explorer Tiger, R1200GS, 2016 ktm 1290 SA, ‘10 multistrada S, etc.

The triumph reviews seem really good but they don’t seem too popular.

The more neutral riding position with my hands below my heart is appealing.

But I’m worried I’ll regret it and the feeling I’ll surely get blasted for... I feel like this genre is a little nerdy and I’m a fickle bitch.
    Probably not much help, but if you stay away from Harley branded stuff, it shouldn't be all that expensive to swap out the bars and convert to forward controls right in your garage - especially on your Fat Bob. Obviously keep everything you take off in case of a future sale/trade. The biggest PITA will be shortening some wires & cables unless you don't mind the excess showing.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Just sayin'...

https://www.denniskirk.com/v-factor/...prd/579085.sku

Actual pegs & levers can be easily changed to match anything existing.

Too many variables for handlebars though. But again - stay away from Harley stuff and it's really not all that expensive.

The Explorer, while decent all around, compared to the other ADV offerings was kind of considered an expensive and anemic pig. That's probably why they're not all that popular. If you wanted a Triumph adventure bike, you bought a Tiger 800. The comparos I read back when I bought my Super Adventure always placed the Explorer dead last in the boutique offerings.

Go ride a Super Adventure and tell me it's a bike for nerds. I'll laugh as I wheelie off into the sunset with my boxes and Hi-Viz gear, while you're the one that gets pulled over for looking like a punk.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Tiger Explorer has a lot of sport bike DNA. I wouldn't call it anemic by any stretch. It won't have the grunt of the KTM or Duc, but slow it ain't.

KTM is the superior bike for off road. If you're staying on pavement maybe not worth it.

If someone gave me a Ducati I'd sell it.

I've never been a fan of BMW motorcycles despite having owned more BMW cars then anything else.

I'd personally look between the Explorer and KTM on this list depending on mission. I prefer the smaller Tigers as far as handling goes but the Explorer does trump them in comfort.

As to looking like a nerd? Whatever. The bikes definitely fly under the radar and I've gotten away with things that would have ended with me in a cruiser if I was riding a sport bike.

Last edited by e30addict; 05-24-21 at 02:44 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

I've done this dance and ended up with the Explorer. I rode all those same bikes, too. Having 54k miles on mine, I think SRTie4k is a bit misinformed on the bike. If your intent is to take it on technical off-road trails a lot, then no, the Tiger 1200 is not the bike for you. The biggest drawback is it wears its weight up high. The only times I've dropped the bike was immediately after I filled up the tank.

The Tiger excels on-road in combined comfort and performance. I personally wanted a shaft-driven bike with cruise control. The Tiger had (has?) the largest alternator and payload capacity as well, something I appreciate when riding two up. I bought mine used with the factory heated seats and grips which I've come to enjoy more than I thought I would.

All the bikes listed are great IMO, but the Tiger is a great do-it-all machine at a surprising low price-point on the used market. Just be careful as the '12-'13 model years had a few recalls (the head being the biggest), so if you buy pre-2014 make sure the work has been completed.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    The Explorer, while decent all around, compared to the other ADV offerings was kind of considered an expensive and anemic pig. That's probably why they're not all that popular. If you wanted a Triumph adventure bike, you bought a Tiger 800. The comparos I read back when I bought my Super Adventure always placed the Explorer dead last in the boutique offerings.

Go ride a Super Adventure and tell me it's a bike for nerds. I'll laugh as I wheelie off into the sunset with my boxes and Hi-Viz gear, while you're the one that gets pulled over for looking like a punk.
    Nerd

Lifer

I don’t think they look nerdy, as I’m considering owning one. I will just be irritated by the “Hey Ewan McGregor, how’s the trek going?”

Not that one looking to own the shoot out winner, a quick search of comparisons kinda supports srtie4ks (now I’m just kissing his ass cuz I called him a nerd.) sentiment, I see two shootouts that don’t even include the Explorer, and it seems like the SA, GS, and Duc are the top tier and the Explorer, VFR and Yamaha Tenere are the lower tier.

But, I’m not looking to go off road really, just want a big comfy road bike, and the seating style of these appeals to me. I did just check out an explorer in person, it’s HUGE seeming and had a top case that I had to fold my leg like a chicken wing to get a leg over. But still thinking it over.

Simply put, if you're happy with the power of your Harley you'll be thrilled with the Tiger. Tigers and the Super Tenere aren't even in the same ball park. I'd actually choose an older FJR over a Tenere for a comfy, fast, street bike.

I found the Tiger 1200 a bit on the porky side and a little more disconnected compared to the Tiger 800, but it still boots around just fine and gets the job done. The Yamaha handles like a pig from what I'm told from someone who has multiple Tigers and a KTM. He had trouble keeping up with me in the twisties on one he was riding one day and normally, even if we're on identical bikes, it's the other way around.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

Yeah shootouts are pretty useless besides pointing out glaring faults cuz it’s not like I’ll ever right an explorer, SA, and duc side by side by side

Lifer

What’s more comfortable a adventure bike or an 1100 Evo? Sure your feet might be tucked back more, but that termi exhaust will make up for it no?

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, 2018 Street Bob 107 for sale ��

Shootouts in this category include an off-road section. The Tiger does not shine there. Taking a 500+lb bike into technical off-road trails isn't my idea of fun, I have a different bike for stuff like that. If you read the Motorcyclist magazine shootout comparison, they ranked the Tiger very highly in the on-road portion. Sure the Duc and KTM have more power, but the Tiger was more comfy. For my usage, I will give up some power and even performance to get a more comfortable machine.

Also, things like price and maintenance play a big factor in my decisions, which ultimately lead to me getting the Tiger. Probably why I continue to hold onto it.

Each bike excels in one area or another. If you're looking for big comfy road bike, I'd argue the Tiger could fit that bill. The GS could too, but at a higher price point. I actually had planned on buying an FJR before getting the Tiger.

Lifer

My friend rented a tiger explorer, 2018, in the Pacific Northwest for 1890 miles 8 day trip and loved it. He comes from a tiger 1050. He did not like the Super Tenere the next year he went on a similar route. I liked the tracer 900 as a comfortable sports bike myself - over 120 pounds lighter yet still quite comfortable. I rented it two years in a row for the same 1800 mile trip. A terrific all around bike especially in GT form. The tiger 800’s are quite comfortable and much lighter than the explorer. Consider those as well. Engine is ok, good but not exciting like the tracer

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Nerd
    I wheelied just for you this morning, in 5th gear no less.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Why you no Pan America?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Why you no Pan America?
    More than I’d like to spend

Why you no Pan America?
    Again, not a ADV guy. But I'm not a first year model kind of guy either.

But wouldn’t the HD dealer be extra friendly on trade-in?

But wouldn’t the HD dealer be extra friendly on trade-in?
    In my limited experience, HD dealerships are VERY friendly on trade-ins. They were pushing so much used shit during the pandemic, the sales goons were getting pissed because the new unit numbers were so low comparatively.

Lifer

I did not know that.

I too am suspect. First year units, I have the first year the Street Bon had the 107 and neither cylinder was holding oil!

Buuuut.... maybe, huge maybe.
    When are they due out?

Where’s Kenn157 or whatever, didn’t he gave a trio of Triumphs including an Explorer?

I did not know that.

I too am suspect. First year units, I have the first year the Street Bon had the 107 and neither cylinder was holding oil!

Buuuut.... maybe, huge maybe.
    When are they due out?

Where’s Kenn157 or whatever, didn’t he gave a trio of Triumphs including an Explorer?

I'm here, The Explorer is a great bike. Mine broke after coming home from Newfoundland.

Great Bay tried to fix it and several failed attempts. Triumph gave me a new one ins 2013. A brand new 2012 which blew a valve in Bennington VT. OneCheekRider saved my ass and drove 150 miles and picked me up and in his enclosed trailer. drove me back home.

The biked was fixed and I have to this day here in AZ 53K miles. Love it so much but if the new 2022 Tiger 1200 is remodeled like the Tiger 900 was I'm going to buy it.

So if you want a Tiger Explorer for real cheap come to AZ and ride it, trail it back to Sandown NH.

School me: Triumph Tiger Explorer, and comp-20210525_134626-jpgSchool me: Triumph Tiger Explorer, and comp-20210525_134536-jpg

Just took the pix a few mins ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    School me: Triumph Tiger Explorer, and comp-20210525_134626-jpgSchool me: Triumph Tiger Explorer, and comp-20210525_134536-jpg

Just took the pix a few mins ago.
    Just casually throwing your Moto 2 Daytona in there I see

My signature has the Thruxton which we know I don't have anymore. Gave to nephew for Christmas.
    Just got email from Triumph new Speed Twin coming 6/1/2021. More power more better stuff. If new Speed Twin RS I will probably buy it. Plus the 2022 Tiger 1200 if new and improved. 😉

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    My signature has the Thruxton which we know I don't have anymore. Gave to nephew for Christmas.
    Just got email from Triumph new Speed Twin coming 6/1/2021. More power more better stuff. If new Speed Twin RS I will probably buy it. Plus the 2022 Tiger 1200 if new and improved. ��
    Wow good uncle!

So what did you pick more for comfy long rides, Explorer or speed trip?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast