Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Scorpion EXO-400 Cheap Track Helmet?

Lifer

Re: Scorpion EXO-400 Cheap Track Helmet?

Which Shoei? I did the same.. EXO-700 to a Shoei Quest. Some things I like better (interior padding is more comfortable, I think the venting is better, helmet is waaaay quieter on the highway), some things I don't (fogs like a mo-fo, liner is not fully removable and a PITA to route speakers from the intercom).

I'm starting to think that there is no such thing as a perfect helmet.

That said, the EXO-700 is pretty good. I'd buy another too. Somehow I got sucked into the "what's your head worth" argument and felt I should spend more on a premium brand (Shoei).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    Wasn't aware they were discontinued though.
    I thought they were replaced with the EXO-750. Although I looked at their website this AM and that model isn't even listed anymore either. Not sure what the natural replacement is, maybe the EXO-900.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Which Shoei? I did the same.. EXO-700 to a Shoei Quest. Some things I like better (interior padding is more comfortable, I think the venting is better, helmet is waaaay quieter on the highway), some things I don't (fogs like a mo-fo, liner is not fully removable and a PITA to route speakers from the intercom).

I'm starting to think that there is no such thing as a perfect helmet.

That said, the EXO-700 is pretty good. I'd buy another too. Somehow I got sucked into the "what's your head worth" argument and felt I should spend more on a premium brand (Shoei).
    I have the RF1100 which is noisy,( i wear ear plugs or ear bud's never nekkid ears ) no more comfortable than a Scorp... and like you said it FOGS like a bitch.. and seeing greater thank 1/2 of my riding is done outside of the perfect 70+ sunny dry days window, that's important to me.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

FYI, I had a EXO-400, it was my first helmet. I wore it for 5 years - I replaced it last spring as it was getting kinda beat. I replaced it with a high-viz EXO-700 I got on clearance from STG. I ordered it without trying it on. I can tell you that the EXO-400 and the EXO-700 have different head shapes. The 400 is a neutral-ish shape, the 700 is more round. After 15 minutes of wearing the 700, I get a red mark across my forehead, and after an 1-1.5 hours it's unbearable, I have to take it off. For my 20 minute commute, I wear the 700 for the high-viz safety, but if I'm going to be out all day, I grab the 400. Try before you buy.

I have an EXO-400, an EXO-1000, and a Bell RS-1.

The EXO-1000 is shaped more round and/or the internal drop down forces them use less padding there.
    While I like the drop down visor for commuting in the winter (riding into the sun in the morning, coming home in the dark), in the end this helmet is bleh.

Now I'm using the RS-1 with their transitions shield. The dark is not as dark as a proper dark shield, but it works pretty well. I also picked up the winter kit (breath deflector and double paned shield). Amazing how much a properly fitted deflector will help with fogging. Much better than either scorpion.

I still ride in the 400 some days. It's not as good as the RS-1, but for a third of the price, I'm still impressed. Especially good for someone just getting into riding and not sure how much they're going to love it or stick with it.

I always heard the EXO1000 was kinda blah, heavy, etc. Anyone have an EXO1100? I'm looking to replace my 6 year old RF1000 and am not looking to drop $600 on a lid. I was always curious how the never Scorpions ranked since I really liked my EXO700

Be aware some folks need to go up a size in Scorpion. I wear a medium in most manufacturers but need a large in Scorpion.

Annie

Lifer

Same. I wore a large Scorpion and now a medium Shoei.

I wear an XS Arai, and a XS-and-a-half Scorp. Don't ask.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

I talked to customer support at Revzilla and they recommended the HJC FG-17 because it's composite and they said will fit similar to my Vortex. Any input on the HJC's? I mean it they can't be that bad, Ben Spies rides one.

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    I talked to customer support at Revzilla and they recommended the HJC FG-17 because it's composite and they said will fit similar to my Vortex. Any input on the HJC's? I mean it they can't be that bad, Ben Spies rides one.
    I absolutely love HJC. I have an older CL-SP right now. When I upgrade I'm leaning towards the SHOEI QWEST for a higher end lid or HJC FG-17 if my budget is tight.

2010 Kawasaki Z1000

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    FYI, I had a EXO-400, it was my first helmet. I wore it for 5 years - I replaced it last spring as it was getting kinda beat. I replaced it with a high-viz EXO-700 I got on clearance from STG. I ordered it without trying it on. I can tell you that the EXO-400 and the EXO-700 have different head shapes. The 400 is a neutral-ish shape, the 700 is more round. After 15 minutes of wearing the 700, I get a red mark across my forehead, and after an 1-1.5 hours it's unbearable, I have to take it off. For my 20 minute commute, I wear the 700 for the high-viz safety, but if I'm going to be out all day, I grab the 400. Try before you buy.
    +1 on this as well - I found a EXO-400 and 700 on STUPID cheap sale at a dealer and ooooooh man I wanted the 700 as it had the built in shades. But just wearing it for five minutes in the store my head hurt.

I have a less expensive HJC - I find it to be noisier but I just wear earplugs and deal because I just can't bring myself to buy a super quiet helmet as all those ranked as super quiet are also super$$$

Last edited by Annielikeslyric; 10-08-13 at 02:44 PM.
    Annie

Lifer

The 700 does not have the built in shades.. At least mine doesn't.

The FG-17 is an incredibly impressive helmet. It is very light (full fiberglass), well built, Snell approved, and under $200. I wonder if I was the one talking to you..

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by Annielikeslyric View Post
    I have a less expensive HJC - I find it to be noisier but I just wear earplugs and deal because I just can't bring myself to buy a super quiet helmet as all those ranked as super quiet are also super$$$
    FWIW a super quiet helmet to me could be a very loud helmet to you. The only downright exception to this in my opinion are Schuberths, but you won't find them Snell rated.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

The fg17 is a kickass lid. I just picked one up too, and I'm after a second for the street.
    It's not a real quit helmet, I don't think, but other than that I give it a 10.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The biggest difference I noticed between my HJC (S), Scorpion EXO-400 (S), and Shoei RF-1100 (XS) has been weight. Elephant, cow, duck in that order. Of course the years may have had something to do with that too - 2000, 2011, 2013. The Shoei definitely fogs up more (without pinlock) and seems to be noisier than the Scorpion, and the face shield isn't as easy to swap out but is adjustable (the EXO-400 wasn't).

What sold me on the Shoei over another Scorpion was reputation and head shape. The Shoei fits my head perfectly.

The SHARP site shows that the EXO-400 had a good 6/6 rating for front and top impact, but pretty bad (3/6) for side impact. EXO-700 and 750 were better, 4/6 for side impact. They didn't have the RF-1100 or the Bell Vortex. Oddly enough, most of the Arais they had weren't rated any better than the Scorpions. Keep in mind this is only one group, but you can look at their testing methodology and decide if you want to give it any credit.

Whatever you get man, believe me i speak from very recent experience, do not cheap out on helmets. Not saying the one i had is the best theres out there, but safe to say my shoei saved my life from my crash during round 6 of the lrrs

CCS #31

Quote Originally Posted by mell0 View Post
    The FG-17 is an incredibly impressive helmet. It is very light (full fiberglass), well built, Snell approved, and under $200. I wonder if I was the one talking to you..
    The e-mail says Dan Gummel lol. How well do they take impact? I'm definitely not trying to skimp on the protection factor but my wallet is only so deep as well.

The e-mail says Dan Gummel lol. How well do they take impact? I'm definitely not trying to skimp on the protection factor but my wallet is only so deep as well.
    As far as taking impact, the FG-17 has a Snell rating but that is all the info we have. It isn't easy to have a helmet pass Snell standards, and it costs a pretty penny for HJC, so I would have to hope that means something.

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

Just picked up this bad boy, an HJC FG-17 X-Fuera Lorenzo Edition, thanks to mell0 and the guys at Revzilla. As usual great customer service and pricing! Also this is a pretty sick looking helmet. I'm excited to finally get to go to a track day and test it out.

Scorpion EXO-400 Cheap Track Helmet?-hjc-fg-17-fuera-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    I always heard the EXO1000 was kinda blah, heavy, etc. Anyone have an EXO1100? I'm looking to replace my 6 year old RF1000 and am not looking to drop $600 on a lid. I was always curious how the never Scorpions ranked since I really liked my EXO700
    I have an EXO 1000....this is the one I was saying was awesome. Great shield very comfortable. ..yeah it is heavier than some other lids, but by how much? Its maybe a 1/2 pound more? Not really a big deal at all. I had to send it back to Scorp after a few weeks of ownership for a repair, but they had it back very fast.

Id sell it if anyone is interested. ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12