Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scorpion EXO-400 Cheap Track Helmet?

Scorpion EXO-400 Cheap Track Helmet?

I currently have a Bell Vortex as my street helmet, and I absolutely love it. It's a little heavy, but not too noisy, and it keeps my noggin nice and cool. Now I have dropped it on the floor a couple times, not from a far height, but enough to crack the little spoiler/fins on the back. I know, you're supposed to replace a helmet if you drop it. I'm guessing it won't pass a track day safety inspection.

Motorcycle Superstore has a blowout on Scorpion EXO-400 helmets. They are 80 bucks brandy new, and of course free shipping (over $89 but I need an oil filter for my FZR anyway). They are indeed SNELL certified

Does anyone have an EXO-400, how would it be for track use, and is it worth spending $80 for a cheap track day only helmet, or is it el-junko?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Scorpion EXO-400 Cheap Track Helmet?

I use the Exo series religiously. 400 and 700. You can try it if you want before you buy.
    I love them. Great helmets. Not the best airflow but that doesn't mean a lot to me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ive also had a Scorp helmet. Great lid. Just buy it, you will be glad you did.

Isn't it a polycarbonate shell?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I'm so tempted to buy it and use it at the track. For $80 it can't be a bad deal.

I absolutely LOVE my Bell, though. If I had the money I would grab an RS1. You can't beat the Transitions shield either.

I'm pretty sure my Vortex is polycarb, so that's fine with me. I know it's not as light as using the tri-layer composite stuff or whatever it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    I'm pretty sure my Vortex is polycarb, so that's fine with me. I know it's not as light as using the tri-layer composite stuff or whatever it's called.
    Fine with you or not some organizations wont let you on the track with a polycarbonate helmet and just because you dropped your helmet on the ground doesnt mean it needs to be replaced.

Last edited by union; 10-03-13 at 03:20 PM.
    James

I believe the exo 400 is a composite helmet

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Fine with you or not some organizations wont let you on the track with a polycarbonate helmet and just because you dropped your helmet on the ground doesnt mean it needs to be replaced.
    Which organizations don't allow this? I'm surprised the SNELL rating isn't enough. Non-polycarb SNELL helmets are usually pretty pricey.

What's the reasoning behind them not allowing polycarb helmets?

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    Which organizations don't allow this? I'm surprised the SNELL rating isn't enough. Non-polycarb SNELL helmets are usually pretty pricey.

What's the reasoning behind them not allowing polycarb helmets?
    Youd have to look at which trackday organizations require what. I know if you want to try racing with LRRS a polycarbonate helmet will not pass tech.

A few years ago LRRS looked at head injuries and the polycarbonate helmet was the common denominator. They dont absorb impacts like the composite helmets. Stuff like fiberglass will help dissipate energy by fracturing and breaking little pieces off (best description I have) kind of like what modern open wheel race cars do. Looks bad but in the end less force is put into the driver. The plastic helmets flex and bend too much and dont absorb energy the same way.

James

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Youd have to look at which trackday organizations require what. I know if you want to try racing with LRRS a polycarbonate helmet will not pass tech.

A few years ago LRRS looked at head injuries and the polycarbonate helmet was the common denominator. They dont absorb impacts like the composite helmets. Stuff like fiberglass will help dissipate energy by fracturing and breaking little pieces off (best description I have) kind of like what modern open wheel race cars do. Looks bad but in the end less force is put into the driver. The plastic helmets flex and bend too much and dont absorb energy the same way.
    I suppose that makes sense, because energy is dissipated better in fracturing the material rather (and having it fly off) than the material just absorbing it. Polycarbonate does have a larger elastic range than more brittle materials like kevlar and CF, so I suppose it would just absorb the impact and distribute it throughout the helmet which is exactly where you don't want it to go.

I don't plan on doing any road racing until I get several track days under my belt, and probably Penguin racing school as well. If I can get away with a polycarb helmet at track days then I'll probably snatch it up for cheap money.

i crashed in an ex400 and an ex700 on the track and smacked my head good each time. Would not hesitate using either again

I guess my point is if you think you might try racing soonish then toss the extra cash out for a helmet that will pass tech so you arent spending the money twice. Spend a little more now to save a bunch later.

Quote Originally Posted by McBiggity View Post
    i crashed in an ex400 and an ex700 on the track and smacked my head good each time. Would not hesitate using either again
    Ive highsided and landed on my head wearing an arai and was racing 2 hours later (on someone else bike), Also got my head crunched by a bike wearing an arai as well and was still good to race. I should have taken the fender my head broke as a trophy.

James

No doubt arai's have a proven record. Shoei on the same boat. I have an x-12 now. But you do pay a lot for the name when you buy either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    I believe the exo 400 is a composite helmet
    That's is correct. For both the 400 and 700

Lifer

The EXO 400 is marketed as polycarbonate on every site I've seen. The 700 is not, it is composite. (At least mine is!) I would avoid. I am not impressed with the very idea of a plastic helmet and the fiber/composites are often only a few bucks more if you shop around.

If you can spend the extra 60$ get the 700 no doubt

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by McBiggity View Post
    No doubt arai's have a proven record. Shoei on the same boat. I have an x-12 now. But you do pay a lot for the name when you buy either.
    The X12 is my next lid...just absolutely perfect fit for me. Im currently wearing Suomy and also a Shoei RF1100.....my last lid was the Scorpion....I really did love it, both street and track....its over 5 years old now so no good for the track but still fits awesome.

What would be a fairly inexpensive composite helmet that would be approved to race with?

exo 700

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

I have 2 exo 700's. they are always on sale because they have been around for so long. love them both.

here $99.99 free shipping from Revzilla on the solid ones ... black (gloss and matte), silver, maroon and lime green can't beat that with a stick

http://www.revzilla.com/product/scor...Fcmf4AodCU0Ahw

I'm really diggin the lime green one!!

Scorpion EXO-400 Cheap Track Helmet?-scorpion_exo-700_solid_helmet_neon_green_detail-jpg

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 10-03-13 at 11:22 PM.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

I also just looked up the manual on their site this is what the shells are made of on both

the 400 is a : ADVANCED COMPOSITE ENGINEERED SHELL
    the 700 is a : FIBER-TECH MATRIX SHELL

For track days yes. The 400 is a plastic composite. For CCS/lrrs, it won't work.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    I have 2 exo 700's. they are always on sale because Scorpion discontinued them.
    Fixed.

Another major issue with buying closeout, discontinued helmets-especially over the interwebz-is that you cannot know what the manufacturing date code is. Most track-day orgs (and LRRS, IIRC) requires the date code be <5 years old. They don't care if the helmet sat on a warehouse shelf until last week when the UPS guy handed it to you. All they care about is the date code.

That said, I've had decent luck in this respect.

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    I'm really diggin the lime green one!!
    Scorpion EXO-400 Cheap Track Helmet?-scorpion_exo-700_solid_helmet_neon_green_detail-jpg
    Lime green?! Pahleeeze! That is retina burning high-viz, yo..

Last edited by nhbubba; 10-04-13 at 06:09 AM.

I've crashed in my scorpion.. and I'd buy another in a heart beat. It was an EXO700... I replaced it with a Shoei from Duncanmoto, because Ted and Komaki (sp?) are great people and I love doing business with a brick and mortor... BUT I hate it. It's been three year and next year I'll be back in a Scorpion. Better venting, A ton less foggin and I don't need that silly pin shield thing... and it's a great deal $$$

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I have an EXO700 as well and like it enough. It's not as comfortable, lightweight, or vented as my (now 7 year old) Arai, but for the price it is a great lid. And knowing enough people who smacked their noggins in them and walked away after made me comfortable trusting them with my brain. Plus they are short money. Wasn't aware they were discontinued though.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast