Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Scrambler 800 any good?

Lifer

Scrambler 800 any good?

I got a line on a 2017 leftover scrambler for short money that I'm thinking about getting. It's just a plain red icon 800. Are these any good? Any known issues or reliability concerns? It's just gonna be a back roads, around town bike for me if I do get it. No track days or anything.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Scrambler 800 any good?

I have a chance to get a black and yellow one but I really wanted the red I watched a bunch of videos and everybody seem to like the bike

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think they’re supposed to be good little bikes. I haven’t ridden one, but sat on one and thought it felt a little tiny, but also nice and light.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

National has a couple, they do seem very small.

Your park avenue leads to..

Lifer

I have one, a used 2015 Icon I picked up at Seacoast a few years back. It already had the termi pipe and Adreandi forks. I love it. Very easy to ride. Small (i'm 5'7"), light (410 lbs wet weight) and the first Ducati I've ridden that was not geared too tall (15/46). It is my "adventure" bike. I also put a small hepco-becker rack and a givi plate on it when I commute. I just ordered hepco-becker travel side bags to really convert it into a lightweight adventure bike. I really like it. It can cruise, but it can also do well in the twisties. Plus, it has the traditional desmo sound and feel.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Cool, thanks. I have sat on it and it doesn't seem so small to me, not like my nsr anyway. I'm just about 6ft and it feels fine, just not bloated that a normal street bike.
    I still haven't ridden one. I put a deposit on it and they are holding it for a week while I decide. I don't really need another bike and I had to get one it wouldn't normally be this bike. It's just an interesting bike with a good price. To be honest I would much prefer a monster over this but this is what they have.

Hypertarded

one thing to consider due to the age, even with super low / no miles, the belts I believe are 5 years regardless of miles. No idea IF they truly deteriorate with just time in proper storage just something to consider.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    one thing to consider due to the age, even with super low / no miles, the belts I believe are 5 years regardless of miles. No idea IF they truly deteriorate with just time in proper storage just something to consider.
    I have both, a Monster 1100evo and a scrambler. They are quite different. The monster's suspension, brakes and engine are on a different level. The scrambler is easier around town. The Monster is more fun on a twisty road or track day. I am thinking of getting a Hyperstrada so testing the waters with selling my monster, but not sure. If you ever make it to Boston I can let you try them. This is my ad
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1593870447088/

The Monster 797 is probably an in between bike and may suit your needs best

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I have both, a Monster 1100evo and a scrambler. They are quite different. The monster's suspension, brakes and engine are on a different level. The scrambler is easier around town. The Monster is more fun on a twisty road or track day. I am thinking of getting a Hyperstrada so testing the waters with selling my monster, but not sure. If you ever make it to Boston I can let you try them. This is my ad
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1593870447088/

The Monster 797 is probably an in between bike and may suit your needs best
    So uh….. you contemplating selling that monster1100evo soon or……..

Asking for a friend…..

Edit: HA!!!! I saw monster 1100evo and immediately jumped to wonder if u would sell it.

My bad! Let me check out that Facebook ad sexy boi

Last edited by Gixxer; 08-05-22 at 09:41 PM.

Lifer

I am on the fence. The rare times I ride it I like it a lot. I have a number of other bikes, a busy job, three kids, etc...so most of my riding is done daily commuting to work and not fun solo Sunday ride. I have an autistic kid I ride with two up on my VFR on most many weekend - have been doing that for the past 7 years. I was looking for a Hyperstrada and picked up a used multi which I notice I ride more than my Monster. So, that's why I put it out for sale. But, am not desperate and would likely only sell if I got full price for it. To be honest, it is not a great short commute bike. It can get hot in traffic and is way overkill for the city.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I am on the fence. The rare times I ride it I like it a lot. I have a number of other bikes, a busy job, three kids, etc...so most of my riding is done daily commuting to work and not fun solo Sunday ride. I have an autistic kid I ride with two up on my VFR on most many weekend - have been doing that for the past 7 years. I was looking for a Hyperstrada and picked up a used multi which I notice I ride more than my Monster. So, that's why I put it out for sale. But, am not desperate and would likely only sell if I got full price for it. To be honest, it is not a great short commute bike. It can get hot in traffic and is way overkill for the city.
    Here’s a nicely setup Hyperstrada, guys had it for sale for a while
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7946915810632/

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Here’s a nicely setup Hyperstrada, guys had it for sale for a while
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7946915810632/
    Yeah, I have seen it. It does look nicely setup. It's a little far to check it out and her has a loan on it, so harder to coordinate when far. I also balked at his trade for drift car....not sure how he used the bike :-)
    I stupidly missed out on this one Ducati Hyperstrada 2016
    Even checked it out but hesitated. MOM's Foxboro bought it and put it out for sale for $10k immediately which was out of reach for me

Lifer

I think my primary hunting ground for the scrambler would be slow back roads, no need to scream around. Probably be used more as a utilitarian bike more than anything else. It doesn't need to be great at anything other than to be enjoyable to ride.
    I must say after reading about it Ducati did a dick move regarding oil changes. It's stuff like that that have kept me away from Ducati in general.

Lifer

Maybe you should buy my 2022 Scrambler 1200XE, so you don’t wish you didn’t settle for a Ducati 800 that is smaller than a ninja 250r…

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I think my primary hunting ground for the scrambler would be slow back roads, no need to scream around. Probably be used more as a utilitarian bike more than anything else. It doesn't need to be great at anything other than to be enjoyable to ride.
    I must say after reading about it Ducati did a dick move regarding oil changes. It's stuff like that that have kept me away from Ducati in general.
    I think the scrambler would be perfect for that. It is a budget bike, but very enjoyable. I take it on light dirt roads in VT/NH, around town and camping.