Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seacoast NH "Sound" Police - Watch Out Bitchez

Seacoast NH "Sound" Police - Watch Out Bitchez

Watch out riding in the Seacoast NH

NORTH HAMPTON — Motorcycle riders who consistently and knowingly exceed the state's 106 decibel limit will be targeted by police who may seek to suspend their motorcycle registrations, according to a joint announcement by law enforcement and Seacoast Harley-Davidson.

Some of the area's top law enforcers met Friday at the Lafayette Road Harley dealership to announce a collaboration for enforcing the state's decibel limits, educating riders and the public, and improving quality of life.

Sending the message were New Castle Police Chief Don White, Rye Police Chief Kevin Walsh, Portsmouth Chief Lou Ferland, Hampton Chief Jamie Sullivan, Portsmouth Capt. Mike Schwartz, North Hampton Chief Brian Page and State Police Sgt. Stephen Kace. They were hosted by Seacoast Harley-Davidson owner Al Contois, who said he does not sell exhaust pipes that exceed the state decibel limit.

Ferland said riders with loud pipes are either unaware they're in violation of the law, or are intentionally violating it. For the unaware, he said, police will be out this summer to stop and educate them with “free testing.” Motorcyclists “are welcome,” said Ferland, but those who knowingly exceed noise limits will be punished.

Page said the problem predates his 1999 appointment as Hampton's police chief and for some violators, the $84 fine is not enough of a deterrent. To target them, said Page, police will send requests to the Division of Motor Vehicles for hearings to suspend the riders' motorcycle registrations.

Walsh said some Rye residents have asked for a local ordinance to impose a lower decibel limit in that town, but have decided to wait until a similar case involving North Hampton is resolved. That case was brought by Seacoast Harley-Davidson against the North Hampton disputing a local ordinance requiring a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency sticker on all motorcycles manufactured after 1982. The stickers indicate decibel levels don't exceed 80, quieter than the state-allowed 106 decibels.

Page said Friday he's “refused” to enforce the ordinance which he described as unconstitutional and unenforceable.

“We've got to give motorcycle riders their rights,” he said. “And hopefully this will do this.”

Page said California successfully passed a state law which lowered allowed decibel levels and expressed the opinion that any change in New Hampshire should be state-wide.

Walsh said another part of the new noise-enforcement effort will be to ensure people who issue motorcycle inspection stickers are “held accountable.”

“It's a privilege to register your motorcycle in New Hampshire and I emphasize privilege,” said the Rye chief. “We're asking motorcycle riders to be considerate of their neighbors.”

“Not all motorcyclists should be thrown in the same bucket and motorcyclists are very welcome on the Seacoast,” said Ferland. “But we will target those few who cast a dim light.”

Karen Mitchell, a New Castle resident and a founding member of NH Citizens Against Loud Motorcycles, attended Friday's joint announcement and said she was pleased with the collaboration.

“Obviously our efforts over the past two years have had an impact,” she said. “I'm really impressed and I hope this makes a difference.”

North Hampton resident and fellow NH CALM member Dave O'Heir also applauded the new noise-reduction effort.

“All in all I think it's great,” he said. “We're a long way from where we were.”

Last year the N.H. House killed a bill that would have mandated EPA stickers on motorcycle pipes as “inexpedient to legislate.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2005 RC-51

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

One more day. That's it. Just one more day.

Last edited by R1; 05-20-11 at 12:14 PM.

Re: Seacoast NH "Sound" Police - Watch Out Bitchez

Just one more step closer to a Communism..........I think I am going to start my own country and live off the grid for good

LRRS #516

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Just one more step closer to a Communism..........I think I am going to start my own country and live off the grid for good
    will pig be your principle export? Love me some bacon...

Good.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

LRRS #516

hundreds of loose women are going to be devastated their 1,000 lbs vibrators are going to have power restricters dampening the fun they can't get in the bedroom.

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

Good. 106db is absurdly loud. Hell, Loudon has a 99db limit for trackdays and the like!

I never understood the need to run loud pipes.
    I owned a Shadowhawk V2 1100 with loud pipes.
    I couldn't get rid of that bike fast enough.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post
    Well they save lives don't ya know.

-Alex

How many DB's does 500 watts of tweeter make?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

How loud is 106db anyways? I have slip-ons on my TLS which are pretty loud IMO, but not piped Harley loud by any means.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Silver Bullet Commuter fjrrider RI's Avatar

Good, after I replaced the busted muffler with a slip on that had to be hand packed with bear glass it sounded louder than a Harley!!!, Started looseing my hearing and away it went. People have stopped me on my FJR and thanked me for riding a quiet motorcycle. When u set off all the alarms in cars as you ride down the street u are above the decibel limits!! Ever hear of header dumpers? Install them so you can get the max sound dude!

Last edited by fjrrider RI; 05-20-11 at 01:03 PM.
    Yamaha lover

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

The part that annoys me about this - we've seen this before. Next people will be nitpicking the testing methodology, the equipment calibration, user training to get around the whole thing. Then we're back into a blanket-stamp situation again such as the mandated EPA markings on exhausts.

I'm not against aftermarket exhausts - far from it. Pondering one myself. But it'll be one that complies to legal limits. I'd rather we undergo testing, and willingly, than face a more broadranging control that *will* result if this kind of enforcement is subverted.

Right before I went into this thread I had ordered a muffler repack kit for the used full Muzzy system I have yet to install on the ZRX.

Oh well. Hope it's not THAT loud.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    The part that annoys me about this - we've seen this before. Next people will be nitpicking the testing methodology, the equipment calibration, user training to get around the whole thing. Then we're back into a blanket-stamp situation again such as the mandated EPA markings on exhausts.

I'm not against aftermarket exhausts - far from it. Pondering one myself. But it'll be one that complies to legal limits. I'd rather we undergo testing, and willingly, than face a more broadranging control that *will* result if this kind of enforcement is subverted.
    That's the problem. Loud as shit bikes create worse restrictions.

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post
    Why didn't you just get quiet pipes?

That being said I'd rather they enforce a noise limit then the stupid "EPA sticker" law that other states/municipalities are adopting.

Last edited by Rossco; 05-20-11 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Page said the problem predates his 1999 appointment as Hampton's police chief and for some violators, the $84 fine is not enough of a deterrent. To target them, said Page, police will send requests to the Division of Motor Vehicles for hearings to suspend the riders' motorcycle registrations.

Only thing that stands out to me

Weird how a police chief thinks/can decide if a law is harsh enough

It's not necessarily the loud pipes they are going to be going after, but the idiots cruising down the road revving the piss outa their super loud exhaust. They do the same thing at the beaches in MA like Revere beach. Just enforcing noise ordinance laws. Same thing with loud stereos in cars, you can get ticketed and worse for cranking it up on the strip. I think it's a good thing,

It's a good thing my TL is nice and quiet.....

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Why didn't you just get quiet pipes?

That being said I'd rather they enforce a noise limit then the stupid "EPA sticker" law that other states/municipalities are adopting.
    loud pipes were just one on the long list of things I disliked about the bike

Sam

One school of thought :

Loud pipes do save lives. I sure as hell know when a Harley is in my blind spot by hearing the overly obsessive noise.

Other school of thought:

Trying to teach my little 5 year old cousin how to throw a baseball and then being interpreted for 20 seconds ( which is a long time when you're impatiently waiting for someone else) multiple times when loud exhaust drive by......

Resolution ? Keep the loud pipes, but don't rev the fawk outta them.
    I'd rather be distracted for those 20 seconds and have someone's life saved than having the exhaust converted into silencers and a 16 year old girl, texting while putting on makeup giving 3% attention to the people in the other lane swings over and hitting you while only the thoughts of " what if my exhaust was loudeR" linger for the months of immobile healing that soon await. ( Longest run on sentence........ever)

Last edited by danny86; 05-21-11 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danny86 View Post
    One school of thought :

Loud pipes do save lives. I sure as hell know when a Harley is in my blind spot by hearing the overly obsessive noise.

Yamaha

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

We won't install pipes that are over 106. If we install them and they are over 106 we take them off, charge for the labor and hand them their pipes.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote Originally Posted by R7
    Quote Originally Posted by danny86 View Post
    One school of thought :

Double popcorn.

Loud pipes save lives. Yeah. Right.

I especially hate the arrogant self-absorbed ass-clowns who wear these.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast