Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Security ideas - anchor & chain for shed

I am building a vinyl shed to store my bike. I live in what I would call an average suburban city neighborhood, e.g. it would be more suprised if someone stole my bike from my shed than not, but anything is possible and it turns into a (literally) crackhead neighborhood about 2 miles away.

I am framing the foundation with 4x4 timbers and will have a wood floor. If I had cement flooring, I'd go with one of the many motorcycle "anchors" available.

My goal is to make my bike a waste of a theif's time to attempt to steal, given the bike's value and difficulty to steal it.

I will have the shed under a 75W motion activated light that will illuminte the front and one side of the shed. The rear and other side will be dark and also will be about 3' from a fence, meaning someone could come in from the rear and cut into the shed if they were really eager without tripping the light.

The front of the shed will have a padlock on it, but given it's vinyl construction and weight of the hinges/hasp, it is quite easy to gain entry into the shed.

I plan on putting one of those battery activated door chime thingys as seen when you walk into a store. I'll make it louder and switchable so it doesn't always go off when I am in the shed.

Then I will build an anchor system that is near impossible to defeat without a torch or power saw, so that I can lock the bike's rear wheel.

I am planning on using two of the below assemblies (one on either side of the rear tire, such that if you can't cut the chain, you need to defeat both of the anchors.

Square cross section

Triple hardened V-welded steel links

Freeze Proof

Bolt Cutter Proof

Pick and Drill Proof

Naugahyde black cover (not shown) to protect your bike.

My goal is definate overkill but not to the extent that I should be getting my head examined If I was a theif I would probably look for a GSXR, Duc, Harley, etc. that was parked on the street. Any suggestions are appreciated...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Looks like your on the right path !

Only thing different I could suggest would be an ancor bolt from a marina Buy the longest one they can order. Take that and wled it to another extention making a rod the goes into the ground 4 to 5 feet, at the base of the rod weld a cross member ( "T" ) and cement it down about 5 feet. Leave only the eye of the anchor bolt either above the floor or you can have an area recessed so it will never be in the way in the future if you either never have the bike anymore or need something else to be stored in the shed. This will leave something for you to chain your tire to and also keep the floor free of abstructions!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Thanks for the idea. Plan B would be to pour cement and use one of the many flush anchors available (seem to be a huge item in the UK).

Given my bike's value and theif sex-appeal, I think that I should be OK. When the SV get's replaced with a Tuono, I'll worry about upgrading security then (ain't happening anytime soon!)

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Have you ever considered putting one concrete pole under your shed, figure dig a 2x2 hole fill with concrete, with a chain cemented in coming out the bottom in your shed? Then you will have something really permantely installed.

^^ sounds like a good idea

Originally posted by MnM
    ^^ sounds like a good idea
    Thats what I plan on doing next year when I build mine. I am also thinking about doing 4 of them, near each side so if I get more stuff or my stuff needs to be shifted around. Im thinking of olny having 6 or so inches sticking out of the ground. Then use whatever chain you want on your bike to the chain in the floor.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i think i posted a comment like this before but...... generally a theif wants to be in and out and will come prepared for what they want IE: a chained bike = bolt cutters, something to freeze with etc.
    a good solution is to put 2 different locks on your bike. A tool to remove a chain obviously wont work on a disc lock, or swingarm lock. this is what ive been told.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Originally posted by SVRACER01
    i think i posted a comment like this before but...... generally a theif wants to be in and out and will come prepared for what they want IE: a chained bike = bolt cutters, something to freeze with etc.
    a good solution is to put 2 different locks on your bike. A tool to remove a chain obviously wont work on a disc lock, or swingarm lock. this is what ive been told.
    I think 2 lock setups are a plus. The chain I want to get is big bucks and it wouldn't be cost effective to get enough to anchor it into cement. That said, it is cutter proof so if bolt cutters are the MO, the chain and lock should hold tight.

I type this with my bike parked out front right now with the cover off, because the shed is under construction and I am too spent right now from working on the shed itself to put the bike away. I think I can live with 1 night of this...we'll see in the AM!

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

if they want it bad they will get it

& if they cant steel it they will strip what they can
    any thing 2 make it hard on um helps

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Heres my idea.

Something you could probably have a machine shop or welding shop fab up fairly easily, maybe. Have 2 "L" brackets made of 1/4" or larger steel plate that are hinged on the long end of the arms, and on the other side of the hinge, have something to sink into the ground and cover in concrete. Then on the short arms, maybe 2 overlapping rings that you could put a lock through. So you back your rear tire into the middle of the L's, swing them together and lock at the top, assuming your rims are open enough to accomodate them. Then you dont have to worry about having a chain cut, and you could probably position/cover the lock in a way that getting bolt cutters onto it would be nearly impossible?

PIC of fantasticly terrible idea.

I have the same issues. Just built a metal pre fab shed. Trying to figure out a good way to secure the bike other than the lock on the doors. And for flooring all I have is patio blocks.

The cement in the hole might be an option