Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Selling & Trading multiple bikes without being a dealer

Selling & Trading multiple bikes without being a dealer

I’m trying to find a reputable POC to ask this question and feel a few riders here may have been in similar shoes.

I’m in the process of liquidating some bikes in efforts to have a a few newer bikes in place of many “okay” ones. By doing that I sold 2 bikes already which are titled in my name within 6 months. I understand I can’t sell more than 3 within 365 days before I run into dealer concerns.

The question I have is does anyone know if trade-ins is considered a “sale”?

I have 2 more bikes I want to combine into one and was hoping to sell one and trade the other if possible but unsure on the regulations and getting ahold of the RMV is impossible.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Selling & Trading multiple bikes without being a dealer

As you've seen by my hoard I go through things quite quickly. I have never once had an issue with selling many multiple vehicles a year so I'm not sure what triggers a "Dealer" event but I certainly sell 5 or 6 vehicles a year at a minimum. Your just selling your own things. It's not like your flipping things you bought yesterday.

At any rate I wouldn't think trade in would cause any issue. Your not making any cash off them so no one would care.

Fyi, if you think you may sell something in the near future try to get a blank title with it. That way you don't pay tax on it for a quick flip.

Every state has a limit .

Here is the list .

https://canadiangearhead.com/how-man...-you-can-sell/

Vermont is 11 so when you do your 12th transaction in a calendar year ,you need to obtain the dealers license .

Happened to us in 2001 that’s why we obtained a dealers license in 2002 .

Last edited by TIMMYDUCK; 02-21-23 at 07:56 PM.
    TIMMYDUCK

Do they actually monitor this? I would hate to get audited on all the $1 vehicles I've bought in addition to the quantity sold in a year

rides bikes

I buy/sell like 10-20 bikes/year most years in MA and have never had an issue. One year I was unemployed for a large chunk of time and did a lot of flipping (probably 30-40 bikes that year) and got a letter from the RMV saying I needed to get a dealer's license, but I never heard anything about it again.

Don't worry about it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!