Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sentimental Attachment

Sentimental Attachment

My dad and I bought our first bikes together. My dad has passed and I still have both of our bikes in my garage. His bike is a Honda VTX cruiser and mine is a 2006 R6 which has been a track bike for most of its life. In the last 5 years I have used my R6 for two trackdays... yes two. I can justify holding onto the cruiser since I ride it when I miss him and it can double as a backup street bike but I don't see track days in my future anymore.

I like seeing the two bikes together in my garage because it brings back memories of us riding to the sandwhich shop for lunch or viewing pictures from the racetrack and how my riding was progressing. We didn't have much in common but we always had the bikes (regardless how different they were). I'd like to get another bike I see myself riding more often (say a WR250R) but I'm afraid I will regret selling a bike I'm so attached to. I also feel if I wanted to get back into track/racing, I could easily buy an already setup (and newer) bike.

Should I sell/part-out my R6 or will it be one of those things I regret? I currently plan on holding onto his VTX forever.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Sentimental Attachment

Sounds like a very personal decision, but no matter what you buy or sell in life you'll always have the memories. I understand the attachment, but the material things are always secondary. Maybe I've just had to let go of too much in life, but I think the more important question is if the R6 will ever be used. If it's going to sit there unused, I wouldn't feel guilty about moving on.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

I would keep dads bike.

Sellsellsell

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yeah, definitely sell the R6. If / when you want to get back into it, you'll be able to find something as good for less money.

Put all the stock street stuff back on and sell the bike as a street bike. You'll get way more money for it. This time of year, $3,500 would be a reasonable expectation. Part out the track stuff separately on ebay or forums.

Id never sell I wish I had something resembling a good memory. Those 2 bikes belong together....give them to your son...or nephew.

Last edited by jwm2k3; 11-26-22 at 11:39 AM.

I wouldn't sell either bike unless I really needed the space or the money.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Man...it doesn't really matter what type of input you get here or anywhere else. You gotta do whichever you feel is right at that moment. Do what YOU think you'll be able to move on from/with. I can tell you what *I'd* do, they can tell you what *they'd* do. None of that makes an ounce of difference when *you* decide what *you'll* do and how you'll carry on from there...

It's not an easy decision, nor is it one I'd wanna be tasked with. On that end I can't offer any advice, because frankly, I have no idea what I'd truly do. I don't envy having to make choices like this, but wish you the best of luck sorting this out...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I hate selling things like that. It's almost a no win. Too many memories and it's a 10 year old bike that really isn't worth much monetarily.
    If you need to sell it for the space or money then that makes sense but otherwise how much does it cost you to just keep it? I'm assuming you've dropped to minimum insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

As soon as I had motorcycle buddies, the stories of their first bike or their Dad's bike have always been told with regret. Every single one of those stories ends with, "I with I still had that bike."

Money comes and goes, those bikes have something special. I vote to keep them.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

I got a WR450F thats mint and looking for a R6.......

Lifer

If you don't need the money, I'm not sure I'd sell it since you'll be ready for when the track calls again. And the bike has a some amount of sentimental value to you. But from a sentimental angle, does it hold that much to you now that it's no longer a street machine?

If it's keeping you from buying that WR250R or something else you'd use, consider letting it go to get something you'd ride. Time to make some new memories, and you'll still be keeping dad's bike.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Id never sell it.

My dad was a piece of shit, I wish I had something resembling a good memory.
    Man, that's a tough post to read. I wish you had a dad like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Man, that's a tough post to read. I wish you had a dad like mine.
    Tell him you love him if hes still around. My dad is alive, but I haven’t spoken to him in about 7 years. I have no father/son memories. Only disappointment and let downs.

Ive moved on, but even little things can sometimes bring a twinge of pain....20 second tv commercials father/son hug, fishing, sports, camping, etc...... A lot of songs on the radio will trigger thoughts, etc.

My greatest fear for a LONG while has been that I would continue the cycle of a shitbum father with my kids. I have 2 daughters, both are great! I do feel the need sometimes for a son. I know I can take a little boy and turn him into a good man.....

I had a few pretty good male role models growing up, so I'm pretty well adjusted, just got stuck with an absentee father who didnt really care even when he was around.

I certainly envy those with a great relationship with their father!

Keep the bikes....

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Today is 10 years since he passed. Can't believe it's been that long. I still have both bikes and don't plan on selling either.

Funny thing is I still ended up getting the WR250R I posted about in the OP and I've probably spent more money in storage/moving these things than they're both worth. But it's been worth it to me. I appreciate the advice given here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Not to derail the thread or anything, but what wild timing to bump this thread.

I just lost my Father on Tuesday. We weren't overly close and it was a 2.5 years in the making (fuck cancer)... but its still a weird series of emotions.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    I hate selling things like that. It's almost a no win. Too many memories and it's a 10 year old bike that really isn't worth much monetarily.
    If you need to sell it for the space or money then that makes sense but otherwise how much does it cost you to just keep it? I'm assuming you've dropped to minimum insurance

This.

My old gsxr is filled with memories albiet different than yours. It was the first new vehicle i was able to purchase after years of basic homelessness and losing everything. Its an 01 and i have never once thought of selling it and literally everything is for sale with me. Its mostly done track days the last 5 years or so but before that it was sitting for years at a time. Every so often i would see it sitting in the corner and i would get it running again and enjoy it for a bit then back in the corner it goes again. Repeat this every 3 or 4 years.
    At this point its pretty much done being a track bike and sits yet again. Ive already commited myself to doing a full resto and putting it back on the street again. Maybe thats the ticket for your r6? Track bike is limited use but make it a daily and it may make it easier for you. Find a friend and take both bikes on the open road.

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed the time lapse.

Glad you kept them.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post

I just lost my Father on Tuesday. We weren't overly close and it was a 2.5 years in the making (fuck cancer)... but its still a weird series of emotions.
    For many guys, we have to say, “I wish I was closer to my dad, but it didn’t work out that way.” Takes two to tango.

First week is very rough, second week is better. “Cancer sucks” is about the one thing in the world we can all agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post

Truly sorry for your loss. Even if you weren't very close it's always a crappy thing to deal with. Yesterday was 13yrs since I lost my dad to cancer. Freshman year of college. Then lost my grandmother 3 months after that, also cancer.

Although time makes it easier there are still plenty of things that bring back a random memory.

To relate to this thread, my CBR was bought new with the small inheritance I got. I just needed a way to escape and I found riding was the best therapy available. Ive got 66k on it now, and will never sell it. I only put on about 150 or 200 miles this year. The 1.5 year old and my dirtbike seemed to take up my time. But, it's always at the ready, and always brings a smile to my face. Although not directly connected to anyone in my family, I feel like it's tied to them in a way, and is my way of holding on.

I don't open up about it often, but just felt good to share it here. Best wishes to anyone else here dealing with any losses.

My dad, a WWII vet with long-standing heart problems, died in 1997 after having heart failure while running our old 1970 Ariens. Neither of my brothers would touch it.

Brought it to Boston, and eventually restored it. More like a restomod (new engine, wider tires, etc.) but runs great and still in use back at my brother’s.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I don't see track days in my future anymore.
    Sometimes it's good to be wrong. Still enjoying this thing after all these years!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Unless you needed the money I would have never sold.

There are some things money can't buy, if an item brings you joy and good memories just by looking at it, it's priceless. If you can also enjoy it as a tool, double so.

Braaaaaaap

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Glad to see that VTX still in the garage and that R6 getting properly ripped.

Very sorry for your loss, Ryan. Cancer got my dad in 1985, and my mom is staring down a similar barrel despite all the amazing science between then and now. It gets a little easier the 3rd or 4th time through the big/shitty family talks, but man...still hits hard some days. My dad had a moto before he left for Vietnam; probably one of the reasons I ride. Nice weather today; maybe work can wait.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

The ol’ girl still keeping up with the best of them!

I think I’m even getting this wheelie thing down better and better each year too

Even bought a new suit!

Also find myself going to the track more since this girl likes to tag along:

So glad I still have this bike.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast