Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A serious question for the board members

This evening I was on a ride with a fellow board member who shall remain nameless. We were cruising down a fairly busy street with a 35 - 40 speed limit following 2 cars. Towards the end of the street I look into my shitty rearview mirrors and saw the blue lights flashing (the other board member was in back of me). He pulled over, I pulled over and the car in front of me pulled over, however the car in front of me and myself didn't completely stop and when we realized the police officer was stopping the other board member the car kept going as did I (I figured the cop would want me to pull over as well but I didn't). The cop asked the other member if I was with him and he said no.

Now, my question is this. What would be the correct thing to do? I always assumed it was an unspoken rule that when the popo lights up a group of riders, or just 2, the others should keep on going. This is the way I've always thought and I would hope if I was the one being pulled over everyone else would keep going (why let the cop issue 2 tickets or 4 or 8 or whatever when, if everyone else leaves, he's stuck issuing just 1 ??? Correct?). My only problem with the thinking above is this: After I left I felt like shit! Like I was leaving my buddy behind. I did call him on the cell and text him from down the street asking if he was ok and if he needed me to come back. (I ended up waiting for him a few miles down the road because he told me to leave the area) Am I correct in feeling this way or is it just the Marine in me who doesn't like to leave a buddy behind??

I'd like to know everyone else's thoughts on this because I honestly feel like a piece of shit right now. Even though we weren't driving like maniacs and the ticket was only 100 bucks, it's the principal of leaving a friend.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Personally if it was a group, I would be gone.
    If it was me and a single friend or two, Id probably take the beating with them. But theyd have to be good friends.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

If it was me and just one or two other riders then I would stop.

Unless... that other rider was riding like a total douche.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

If I were in your shoes (and I'm not saying this to make you feel like you did wrong or more shitty) I would have stayed with him. I'm pretty confident that if you had not done anything wrong, the cop is NOT going to cite you, or he is just an asshole! What was it that he got pulled over for?

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

You could always split the $100 bucks if it makes you feel better.

No way to really tell, but do you think leaving increased his odds of a ticket over a warning? Otherwise, there was no point in you stopping except for moral support. If it was me and a buddy and I got pulled over, I would be okay with him leaving as long as he did it casually (so as not to infuriate the cop).

edit to note: I'm a little uncomforatable with this post. I don't want to suggest that anyone should expect others in a group to split the cost of tickets. For example, If I'm out front of a group and get bagged and others have a chance to slow down. Well that is just shit luck for me, I would have no expectations of anyone pitching in on the ticket. However, since it was just you and a good friend I thought I would just throw it out there.

Last edited by wookie; 10-21-07 at 05:47 PM.
    2006 Triumph Speed Triple - Street
    2003 R6 - Track
    2000 SV650 - Street/Track

That's right, back to a 2 cylinder, 3 cylinder, and a 4 cylinder.

Its hard to say. Personally Id probably stop if it was just two of us. However if I stopped and my friend didnt I dont think id be mad. I wouldnt rat him out either as this unnamed member did. Neither did wrong. However if it were some jackass that just joined our group that usually rides and he took off depending on how I felt about him I might sell him out. Mark you know how I am with new people to the group. Im the asshole that takes them aside if I dont like their riding and I let them know. I think if I didnt stop and my buddy got a ticket I would offer to help pay it if he doesnt get off. I understand you feel like shit for not stopping but I know both of you pretty well and I cant imagine that he would be too mad. I know I wouldnt be too mad and that I would get over it pretty fast because we have way more fun then what one ticket will ruin.

James

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    how about you split the $100 bucks with him if it makes you feel better.
    That sounds fair.

Bruce

Posting Freak

What was the 100.00 ticket for?

Quote Originally Posted by mycirus View Post
    That sounds fair.

Bruce

if it was dennis I'd leave, and let him take a pounding. As I'm sure we all know hes always game for a good ass pounding

08 Ape RSV1000R
    09 Ram 1500 Black Big Horn
    10 Mini Cooper S sleeper (hers)

If you made the attempt to slow down and pull to the side and the cop stopped with him and didn't tell him to ride up to you so he could bag you both then by all means casually leave. If the cop wanted the two of you he would have taken the both of you period.

I was riding on the highway last year with 2 knuckleheads and one good guy. A cop pulled out and lit ME up. I pulled over and was grilled about the other guys and I GAVE HIM NOTHING! I don't care how you feel about someone DON'T GIVE THEM UP. Thats my own feelings and is a whole other can of worms. But I was NOT mad that they kept going.

This year I was riding with Wookie and we got lit up for 5 over ()
    I was in back and purposely pulled over quikly to try and make a gap so either he would pass me and get Kevin or he would bust me and Kevin could skate. BUT he shot over the loud speaker for me to catch up to the next guy to talk to both of us.

The fact that you slowed down and pulled over was first responsible.When the cop stayed with the guy on the r6 and you slowly pulled away shows the cop that you felt you did nothing wrong and were just carrying on with your life.

If the cop lit you guys up and you dropped gear and pinned it then yeah your a douche.

Now I'm getting my popcorn because this is going to get LONG

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

No I didn't pin it and the ticket was for 10 over speeding (45 in a 35). I really did pull over and was waiting for the cop to pull up to me but it didn't happen so I casually drove off.

Why do you think the cop pulled over an r-6?????????

Quote Originally Posted by naked-daytrader View Post
    Because he liked the ass that was on it and wanted a piece?

James

I think that it being an unwritten rule.........everyone should agree before the ride starts. If a rider gets pulled then they will understand that they will take one for the team, and not give the cop anything, except respect.
    I would be perfectly happy with chipping in for the ticket.

As for feeling bad about it, if they pulled me over and the group slid away, then I would be cool with it....better to take 1 ticket and be done. You just have to be careful and not make it look like you are speeding off, cause you still cant outrun a radio.

That being said any rider who rats on the group, I simply would not ride with.

I like cats.......but I can't eat a whole one by myself.

Come on Mark don't even question it...I can understand your loyalty but if the cop didn't pull you over too...oh well.
    When we were in VT the cop pulled over the first 6 of us. He gave 6 of us tickets. Deserving of one I must say...The rest of the pack cruised on by. I was Happy for them. At least we all didn't get Tickets. If he only pulled over the last in line, thats his call. He could have pulled you over too but he didn't.
    Don't sweat it if Dennis has to DJ one more Party to pay the Ticket...oh well. For him it's just one more under aged teen to look at while he earns his money. .

Honestly, If I were that person and I knew anyone in front of me got away without a Ticket... I would be Happy for them. I'm sure the person you were with would think the same way.

I have to say I feel good about your loyalty and the fact that you questioned it at all. Stand up guy in my book...

The rest of you can Kiss my Royal Ass!....

Last edited by stevecbr900rr; 10-21-07 at 07:16 PM.
    1993 Honda CBR900RR
    1990 Suzuki GSXR1100
    1992 Kawasaki ZX750
    1996 Honda F3 Trackbike

Quote Originally Posted by naked-daytrader View Post
    No I didn't pin it and the ticket was for 10 over speeding (45 in a 35). I really did pull over and was waiting for the cop to pull up to me but it didn't happen so I casually drove off.

No harm no foul then

AND you Denno are soooo gay for each other I'm just doing the math. I mean I don't gamble but I do like to look at the odds

Oh and just another example

at around 10:30 last night Im almost home from a 600 mile day following a tomato in the left lane doin about 80ish

I notice a car on me like glue so as soon as I get a chance I pull over to the middle and sure enough its an undercover piggy

There was no way to inform the guy who just put 600 miles on wit me so I fall back like it was my job and watch from a distance the cop follow the guy for about 5 miles until he realizes and THEN pulls over

So am I a jerk for saving my skin?

I don't think so, there was nothing I could do

Quote Originally Posted by stevecbr900rr View Post
    When we were in VT the cop pulled over the first 6 of us. He gave 6 of us tickets. Deserving of one I must say...The rest of the pack cruised on by. I was Happy for them.
    That was probably the most nerve racking miles (seemed liked 100 or so) it took to finally pass by you guys

and FYI I believe that we all told you all but we were torn on weather to proceed past you guys or to find another ride all together

You might split the ticket but you can't split the points...

I woulda stopped with my buddy... Soldier code.

Marines are individuals.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by fasterthanu View Post

I was riding on the highway last year with 2 knuckleheads and one good guy. A cop pulled out and lit ME up. I pulled over and was grilled about the other guys and I GAVE HIM NOTHING! I don't care how you feel about someone DON'T GIVE THEM UP. Thats my own feelings and is a whole other can of worms. But I was NOT mad that they kept going.
    This sounds familiar...

You got off he didn't. Shame on him.

don't feel bad that's the way it works. What you gonna do hang round and get ass fucked like he did. NOT!!!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by 02Telefonica View Post
    This sounds familiar...

Yeah 3 gixxers and me on my SPORT TOURING bike

Guess which one of the other 3 I included you as

This year I was riding with Wookie and we got lit up for 5 over ()
    I was in back and purposely pulled over quikly to try and make a gap so either he would pass me and get Kevin or he would bust me and Kevin could skate. BUT he shot over the loud speaker for me to catch up to the next guy to talk to both of us.
    but,

That still boggles the mind. The cop pulled us over, strutted up and while pointing menacingly at John said "I had you at 6 over"...then turned to me "I had you at 5 over." And then, no joke, said "where is the emergency." If guys with cameras jumped out of the pushes yelling "you've been punked" I would have been less surprised.

As cool as it was for John to hold back so I could have gotten away, I even more appreciated him not laughing.

BTW - were in the middle of no where (i.e., not in a town).

2006 Triumph Speed Triple - Street
    2003 R6 - Track
    2000 SV650 - Street/Track

That's right, back to a 2 cylinder, 3 cylinder, and a 4 cylinder.

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

At around 10:30 last night Im almost home from a 600 mile day following a tomato in the left lane doin about 80ish

I notice a car on me like glue so as soon as I get a chance I pull over to the middle and sure enough its an undercover piggy

There was no way to inform the guy (see below) who just put 600 miles on wit me so I fall back like it was my job and watch from a distance the cop follow the guy for about 5 miles until he realizes and THEN pulls over

I'm a JERK for saving my skin!

I think I could have done something, BEEEEEEEP BEEEEP
    There fixed it for ya

---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

Yeah like you would have been able to here the little beep beep on the highway

Plus I think it would have been a bit suspicious

Littering and........

Basically, if I'm the last guy in line (which I usually am because I'm slow), and I get pulled over, I'd encourage everyone else to keep going unless the police chase you. Why should we all get tickets?

Also if the cop asks me who I was riding with, it was some random group of douchebags I happened upon while riding by myself. Dont believe me, fucking prove it.

Thats just my opinion.

Would have stopped with my friend. Group I probably would have gone.

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.ph...&id=1185417660

Live life now!....it has an expiration date!

Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
    Everyone can see it,
    But only you can feel the true warmth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast