Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Second set of rims, worth it?

Everybody to the limit!

Heh, what is this, my fourth "is xx a good buy" thread in 2 weeks? Damn this winter is too long.

Anyway this isn't an ebay special this time, guy on the zx6r board offered to sell me a set of good condition front and rear rims, with bearings and hubs, for $325 shipped. Is this a decent deal?

I was figuring this would let me run a few track days on a set of new tires, then swap a new set onto the spare rims and use the old wheels on the street until they finished wearing. Seems like it'd save a bit of cash from tossing the tires when they get too worn for the track, but I dunno, 325 is a lot of tire changes...hmm...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'm thinkin extra set of rims for my SV.... so that I can have a set of motard tires ready to go...... it's prolly a good deal... but sounds like you might have to spend another $300-$400 for brake rotors.

I'm hopin I can geta set of SV wheels for that with brake rotors.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by RandyO
    I'm thinkin extra set of rims for my SV.... so that I can have a set of motard tires ready to go...... it's prolly a good deal... but sounds like you might have to spend another $300-$400 for brake rotors.

I'm hopin I can geta set of SV wheels for that with brake rotors.
    Actually, it just so happens that I have a spare set of rotors. I thought my rotors were warped and bought a second set on ebay, front and back (only cost me 40 shipped btw). Turns out that the rotors just had some residue on them, they weren't warped they were grabbing and sliding, a bit of sandpapering seems to have cured all that right up.

I'm thinking the sets a pretty good deal since they include hubs and bearings, I wouldn't want to buy a spare set without those it would be a pain to swap them. Also they're color matched to the bike, wouldn't be a big deal on the track but it'd be nice to be able to swap the track tires onto the street when they're done and still have the bike look halfway decent.

Are you looking for a second set so that you can keep knobbies on one and street tires on the other? Seems like a decent idea considering the kind of riding you do.

Originally posted by Honclfibr

Are you looking for a second set so that you can keep knobbies on one and street tires on the other? Seems like a decent idea considering the kind of riding you do.
    yup, the motard tires actually stick pretty good on the street, but only last 1000-1500 miles , (I bet I could eat aset up in a track day) but a waste of a good tire when a sport touring one will do.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

A second set of rims is always good to have for exactly what your talking about. I was able to keep riding when my street tires wore down by switching over to the track set until I good new tires mounted. Keeps you riding and also saves you $ from switching over to race take offs in between track days!

& for 325 shipped ! Thats a smoking deal!!!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

I was thinking about doing the same for my sv seeing as how I have signed up for some track days this summer. Will you use a different rear sprocket for each set or will you need to keep changing it between the street rims and the track rims?

Clyde
    03 sv650s

Good idea: Price though?

I bought another set as flat tire insurance.

I picked them up with bearings and spocket on them.
    I spent around $150 with shipping.
    Tires probably more.

Check around.
    -Suf Daddy

Suf Daddy.

Everybody to the limit!

Re: Good idea: Price though?

Originally posted by Suf Daddy
    I bought another set as flat tire insurance.

I picked them up with bearings and spocket on them.
    I spent around $150 with shipping.
    Tires probably more.

Check around.
    -Suf Daddy
    $150 is a smokin deal, but I've been watching ebay, good condition front rims often go for $250 alone with no bearings or anything, rears are usually more like $100 - $150, guess there's a lot of front end collisions happening out there

Either way I know this guy takes care of his bike and I'm getting a good set, so that's worth a few bucks I figure. Juist pulled the trigger on the rims, hey it's only money.

Lucky I hadn't thought about that but you're right, a second sprocket wouldn't be a bad idea at all, I'll have to get one in the same size so the chain will loop over but that's an excellent idea, they're wear parts anyway so it's money I'd have to spend at some point regardless.

Also A good idea for second sets of rotors/sprocket & Cush Drive, but not really needed, you will just have to spend a little more time swapping everything over. I was going to buy a second set of everything, but the cost of all that for the RC was a bit too steep!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Re: Good idea: Price though?

Ebay isn't the best place for deals sometimes. I got mine from a fellow marque rider on a bike model specific website.
    For me it was cbr1100xx.org
    Spares, space and wife usually combines into a deal for the buyer.
    -Suf Daddy

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    $150 is a smokin deal, but I've been watching ebay, good condition front rims often go for $250 alone with no bearings or anything, rears are usually more like $100 - $150, guess there's a lot of front end collisions happening out there

Suf Daddy.

Suf Daddy.

Lifer

Sounds like a sweet deal.

I gotta do it at some point for the VFR. I would want to do it complete with cush drive, sprocket, etc...

I have at least 2 sets of wheels for each of my bicycles, it just makes sense. I do the same thing there, each set is complete and ready to be dropped in without having to change tires/gears, etc.. over. Hell and some of those sets of wheels cost more than $350! (That is a little different though cause some of those sets are there as race spares to go in the pit so it would be pretty pointless to have to swap gears over)