Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Setting up Power Commander?

Setting up Power Commander?

I've only had carbureted bikes before and recently got a fuel-injected dedicated track bike. It was already setup for racing but I'm wondering if there's anything I should know or find out about setting up the power commander? Are there different options on how to set it up or is setup done through dyno testing it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Setting up Power Commander?

If it was raced it probably already has a map on it. But this is the only guy I will let touch my power commanders...

http://www.dyno-solutions.com/

John really knows his stuff.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    If it was raced it probably already has a map on it. But this is the only guy I will let touch my power commanders...

Hey csmutty, where are you located, do you live in CT? CT is a little ways for me. I'm in Southern Mass, about 1/2 way between Boston and Providence.

I live in northeast, ct. Id drive 5 hours to have john tune my bike. The customer service and product he offers is unmatched. Plus he does track days himself.

professional lurker burtonboarder23's Avatar

There is RJ's motorsports in Nashua that also does dynojet tuning.

"Could you elaborate on that a bit? Just telling me not to run a specific tire, and giving me no true logical explanation is like telling me I'm going to get my dick sucked tonight, and not by whom."

High maintenance priss

For starters install the PC software. Backup the map you have and learn what the software does. I think there might be some basic things you can inspect & setup (throttle position?). You can then download maps for the same bike w/ similar setup. Some guys do go this manual route by try multiple maps, hand-tweak based on riding, merging with other maps (there is a process where you can take 2 maps, calc difference w/in the dynojet app and then add half back to original or something like that).

Dyno will fast-track you automatic-tune method specific to your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post

I agree. It's likely got a map in there, but whether or not it's a good map, or still pertinent (any post-mapping mods), is the question. The only way to know for sure is to get it on a dyno. I live in Uxbridge, MA, and made the journey down to John...it was worth it. Great dude who knows his stuff and is willing to learn ya.

Retired LRRS/CCS EX #212 | Woodcraft | Armour Bodies | Dainese USA |

Redistribution Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by loudog View Post
    I agree. It's likely got a map in there, but whether or not it's a good map, or still pertinent (any post-mapping mods), is the question. The only way to know for sure is to get it on a dyno. I live in Uxbridge, MA, and made the journey down to John...it was worth it. Great dude who knows his stuff and is willing to learn ya.
    I have been contemplating riding down there,it's just a lot of freeway..and I hate freeways for the most part.According to maps,it's a 2.5 hr ride from Shrewsbury.

Only other guy I heard of is in Gardner,and he wanted me to do a valve job first..since my bike suggests checking valves at 24k,I got the feeling he just didn't want to do it,I think his core business is Harleys,and I would rather pay someone who is familiar with R1's.

Quote Originally Posted by FalArAk View Post
    I have been contemplating riding down there,it's just a lot of freeway..and I hate freeways for the most part.According to maps,it's a 2.5 hr ride from Shrewsbury.

Only other guy I heard of is in Gardner,and he wanted me to do a valve job first..since my bike suggests checking valves at 24k,I got the feeling he just didn't want to do it,I think his core business is Harleys,and I would rather pay someone who is familiar with R1's.
    You could always make a day ride out of it and take rural routes instead of the highway?

And John at Dyno Solutions would do your R1 right. He smoothed out my R6 nice and linear, and he installed my quickshifter, power commander, etc!