Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Shanghai'd to Irvine

Shanghai'd to Irvine

Got called out for an urgent work project in CA -- 7 weeks in Irvine. I didn't have time to ride my Duc out here, but I was able to borrow a bike from a friend for the duration. I've always liked Guzzis, but haven't owned one. But now I get to be a Guzzisti for a couple of months and spend some quality time with one. It's a 1990, with just under 100K on it.

Anyway, I'm enjoying myself. The job is intense with lots of hours, but I'm still getting in the two things I miss about CA -- lanesplitting, and good Mexican food.

Also, my parents, sisters and their families, daughter, and lots of friends from the 40+ years I spent living in SoCal, are all within 75 miles of me, so I'm getting to do some visiting.

The company will fly Kristine out a couple times a month, and we'll gallivant around two-up on the Guzzi seeing people.
    It's all good. I'll be happy to come home to NH when it's over, too, but I'm having fun for now.

Here's a couple pics of the Guzzi, plus a bonus pic of me next to Dave Aldana's leathers (at the Larz Anderson museum in Brookline, MA).

PhilB
    Shanghai'd to Irvine-bones-03-sm-jpgShanghai'd to Irvine-motoguzzi-1000-donny-03-smShanghai'd to Irvine-motoguzzi-1000-donny-01-sm

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Re: Shanghai'd to Irvine

it's been hot out here!

well...relatively speaking hot...

did you ever ride up this way or were you mostly in SD?

GMR...ACH...malibu...etc.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    it's been hot out here!

well...relatively speaking hot...

did you ever ride up this way or were you mostly in SD?

GMR...ACH...malibu...etc.
    I mostly lived in SD, but I rode up the coast to the Bay Area pretty often, and on to at least Mendocino once in a while.
    Won't have time for any long trips this time; I'll be pretty much sticking to L.A. and south of there.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

that's awesome! must be a little bit weird to be back?

Looking thru those pics Phil, at photo #2, I was all 'Jesus, those Guzzis are ugly', then I saw photo #3 and said 'Jesus those Guzzis are good looking'.....'the guy next to it is hideous tho...'

Nah, just joking Phil, enjoy your time out there, and for god sakes get me some pictures of that Mexican food.....I LOVE Mexican food!

Let us know how the Guzzi does after you put a few thou on it....

from Irvine, ortega is pretty close...but a lot of people say it's too highly traveled to be a safe/fun road

how did you get to borrow a guzzi??

seems like a bit of liability for an accident

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    ... Let us know how the Guzzi does after you put a few thou on it....
    It's cool. Weird, quirky, yet neato. Like an airhead BMW, it leans when you gas it due to the crankshaft rotation, and there's driveshaft effects, so until you're used to it, it feels like it wiggles strangely often. But it really helps encourage smoothness. It's got boatloads of torque, and pretty decent power (about 80hp), so it will boogie if you tell it to. Brakes are weak by modern standards. I'm enjoying the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    from Irvine, ortega is pretty close...but a lot of people say it's too highly traveled to be a safe/fun road

how did you get to borrow a guzzi??
    seems like a bit of liability for an accident
    I've ridden Ortega; did so pretty often back in the '80's when it wasn't so crowded. Given the limited time I have here, and all the people I want to see, I'm probably not going to make a priority on finding the most fun roads. That's not what I miss about CA; there are scads of fun roads back home in NH.

My circle of friends has a long history of lending each other vehicles. I've borrowed and loaned cars and motorcycles with friends many times. We all carry insurance against liability at a minimum, and we trust each other to make it good if we screw something up.

The guy I borrowed this from was the mechanic at the dealership I bought my Duc at. He maintained and serviced my bike for 18 years. We've ridden together quite a few times. He knows how I operate and that I can ride. He was happy to be able to help out, and even put new tires and fresh brake pads on it for me.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 08-25-15 at 09:29 PM.

Phil, I respect you and you assessment of the Guzzi. And your words echo my preconceptions of the Marque.

Enjoy!

Every bike has its own rhythm. Some are more like others; others are different. Moto Guzzis definitely have their own unique rhythm. It's most similar to an old airhead BMW, but still a fair adaptation even from that. It has taken me a couple of weeks to get myself properly in tune with the old Guzzi, but now that I've really gotten the hang of the thing, it's a really cool (and very effective) machine.

PhilB

Guzzi Strong!
    Shanghai'd to Irvine-guzzi-strong-01-jpg