Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shinko tires

Re: Shinko tires

The general consensus I've read, is that for smaller dual-sports (250-650 thumpers), pretty good reviews, real good value. For larger adv or street bikes (v-strom, BMW GS, etc), there's mixed reviews.

That being said, I've got a set of Shinko 705's in my garage which will be going on my DR350 in the next week or so.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

i just did 500 miles on the 005s on my vmax up to lake george and back. ran great. a lot of the vmax guys either run tourmasters or me880s.

Junk. Get a set of Dunlop q2's For similar money and youll love them.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Quote Originally Posted by darkduc7 View Post
    Junk. Get a set of Dunlop q2's For similar money and youll love them.
    i'm happy with the 005s for now. even the 011s were nice too.

i'll keep those in mind though, i may do something more sport touring next. the 190/55 size is a nice option tho, those are harder to find, bring the ride height back closer to stock.

there may be better tires out there but the vmax seems to only be so capable. before i braced the swingarm and switched to radials any sweeper over 60 mph and over a certain lean angle the bike would start oscillating.

what were the specifics that you didn't like on the shinkos?

I had a set on my first bike, but only because they were on it when I bought it. When I had to replace them I went to continentals. Im not a tire guru by any means, but you can do definitely do better.

Quote Originally Posted by gamorg02 View Post
    i'm happy with the 005s for now. even the 011s were nice too.

i'll keep those in mind though, i may do something more sport touring next. the 190/55 size is a nice option tho, those are harder to find, bring the ride height back closer to stock.

there may be better tires out there but the vmax seems to only be so capable. before i braced the swingarm and switched to radials any sweeper over 60 mph and over a certain lean angle the bike would start oscillating.

what were the specifics that you didn't like on the shinkos?
    hey, if they work for you, great, i dont mean to shit on anyone. its all in what you want to do with them, and personal preference on feel.

i have minimal experience with shinkos, just one rear tire that came on a monster i bought a while back, cant remember what tire. it had very little grip, let go suddenly when it did, very scary/unsafe, and it was completely spanked in 1500 miles. another shinko came on an sv i bought...that may or may not of been turned into a pile of rubber shavings before i removed it

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Quote Originally Posted by darkduc7 View Post
    hey, if they work for you, great, i dont mean to shit on anyone. its all in what you want to do with them, and personal preference on feel.

i have minimal experience with shinkos, just one rear tire that came on a monster i bought a while back, cant remember what tire. it had very little grip, let go suddenly when it did, very scary/unsafe, and it was completely spanked in 1500 miles. another shinko came on an sv i bought...that may or may not of been turned into a pile of rubber shavings before i removed it
    i didn't take it that way at all. Just having a nice discussion in my mind.

I will say if i took a bike to the track i would not put shinkos on it. i've seen the reviews that talk about the long amount of time for them to warm up and even when warmed up not performing as well as other name brands.

I wouldn't argue a bit that there is better stuff out there, but for the price & performance for me, they work. I have about 22k miles on various shinkos on the v-max (15k on bias, 7k on radials), and maybe another 2k on other bikes on both radials and bias. i've never had them let loose or anything. if they ever did and i believed it was the tires fault that'd be the end of that. i think they stick well too. i've inadvertently power wheelied the vmax on a wet road.

i also think at the end of the day shinko (radials or bias) are a ton better than what was available in '85 when the vmax was released, and probably even better than a lot of the tires available when mine was new '03.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The only experience I have is with Shinko 244 dual sport tires a.k.a. Goooooldenboys. Good 50/50 tire. I've used them on my old DRZ400 and the CR500. I'd buy them again.

I currently am running the 009 ravens on my fz1. I went cross country and back no problems, rode the dragon and can drag hard parts no problems. I have been very happy with them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I wouldn't fuck a set with your dick and KB pushing.
    What Turkey mike said!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by gtbensley View Post
    I currently am running the 009 ravens on my fz1. I went cross country and back no problems, rode the dragon and can drag hard parts no problems. I have been very happy with them so far.
    Have you tried the advance? I think I'm going to try the ravens for the longer life. On sale at bb right now.

I bought a set of 705's for my transalp to replace the worn Continental TKC80's. The front conti is cupped like crazy and the rear wore out quickly riding offroad. I went with shinkos because they adventure riders seem to like them. $118 shipped for s set, they're worth a shot.

Put a set of 705's on my DR350 yesterday and then took it out for a 90 mile ride. Wasn't pushing too hard, but they stuck pretty well. Did a couple miles of dirt/gravel road this afternoon after work with no problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12