Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Shipping motorcycle with household goods

Shipping motorcycle with household goods

Moving to LA next month. The moving company said they can put the bike in the moving van/trailer along with the other household stuff: couches, bed, boxes, etc. Has anyone done this? how do you recommend strapping it down?

I think they will come to pick up the stuff in a smaller van then move it into containers to put into a semi truck or just move it into a semi truck that is CA bound. I will be there when they pickup and plan on using my baxley chock and instructing them to roll into the chock and strapping against a wall perpendicularly.

They said "we do this all the time, no problem and never any problems...plus it's fully insured". I'm still nervous but at least my Triumph Explorer has crash bars all over. Just looking for tips. Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Re: Shipping motorcycle with household goods

When I moved to NH the company rolled my ninja into the truck against the left wall kickstand down, padded it and strapped it to said wall safely and securely with the rest of my stuff. It arrived perfectly fine.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

This is fine to do. When my wife and I moved from San Diego to NH 3 years ago, I had 4 complete motorcycles (and 2 more in boxes) that went into the moving van (as part of our 10-1/2 tons of stuff). They arrived fine. They will want to have the gas tank fully drained before it goes in.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

yup, similar story here... drained tank and let them roll it in and secure it. FL > CT move, arrived fine.

Beta 200RR

when i moved from Nc to Ct i got a harbor freight wheel chock and screwed it to a 4'x4'x3/4" piece of plywood. put some eyebolts in it. tied it down. then used a bunch of smaller screws to secure the plywood to the deck. put tall stuff on each side of it, then put my boxspring over the top. no problems.

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

re read the insurance. When I moved i was insured but it came out to cost per ounce or lb they reimbursed too not actual value. For example a 3000$ camera if broken or damamaged would be reimbursed at 6 cents an ounce and i'd get like 50 cents. I'm exaggerating the cost/ reimbirsement but the basic theory is what I'm trying to deliver

hmmmm......

I had my Sprint moved from Maine to Louisiana by the moving company. They wrapped it up in blankets and strapped it to the wall of the truck. No damage to the bike.

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Simple, they strap it down - cover it in moving blankets. Then they build a platform above it and put more of your crap abovie it. It'll be cozy and safe, no worries.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.