Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ducati Streetfighter or Hypermotard as a second bike?

Ducati Streetfighter or Hypermotard as a second bike?

Hey guys,
    I have a 2009 R1 that's currently my only bike. This year I did my first 2 trackdays, and I can see that I'm going to be doing a bunch more next year. While I don't necessarily mind track prepping the bike (takes maybe an hour), spending that hour to put all the blinkers and mirrors and stuff back on to ride on the street, only to pull it all off again for another trackday, isn't my favorite thing in the world.

For the last 6 months or so I've been starting to think pretty heavily about getting a second bike for the road, and keeping the R1 as track only. With that thought, I've only really considered Ducati. I love how they look, how they sound, and want to join that club. Every time I see one drive by, my heart always skips a beat, and I strain to get a good look, similar to how any motorhead will when they hear a Ferrari.

For most of that time I've been thinking about getting the new Hypermotard 848 which will be announced at the EICMA show in November. I grew up racing motocross, and like the idea of the upright riding position, light weight, and different look of the bike. I've sat on the Dorsoduro and current Hyper at Seacoast, and really like the Hyper.
    The new hyper, while not yet announced has had lots of spy pics released, and sounds like a great progression. I've pored over the internet and know quite a bit about it and have seen all the pics, it sounds like it would scratch the itch I have.

However at my most recent Trackday (last monday), all those thoughts fundamentally changed. Someone was at the trackday on a shiny red Streetfighter 1098. The look, the sound, the style, everything about the bike oozes character and attitude. Seeing the bike actually ridden hard was awesome, the bike more than held it's own in the Blue group, passing tons of other bikes as effortlessly as a new liter bike (due to the great rider on it).

Yesterday I went to Seacoast and sat on one. It fit great, and looked like a million bucks.
    From an overall looks perspective, I like the Streetfighter more. From a performance perspective, I think that it has an edge over the Hyper. From a riding position perspective, the hyper is probably a little more comfortable, but the tradeoff might be that it's less sporty.
    So the debate I have in my head right now is which one to get. I've already told myself that I'd regret it if I sold the R1, so it's more a matter of which to get. I want something that makes me smile from ear to ear every time I ride it. Something that makes people stare. Something that you don't see every day. Right now I'm leaning Streetfighter.

Next weekend I'm going to test ride the Streetfighter, and we'll see how that goes. Maybe I can try the current model Hyper as well. As an aside, I'd be going for the 848 version of the Streetfighter, as $19k plus some accessories makes the 1098s a bit rich for my blood.

Anyway, just kind of voicing my thoughts. Does anyone have a current gen Hyper or a Streetfighter? How do you like them? Any considerations or suggestions about either bike? Which would you get?

Sorry for the rambling post, not sure that it all makes sense, but somehow in my head it does.
    Thanks for listening, and for any advice you can offer!

-Fred

PS - Here's a site with all the most recent spy pics of the new Hyper
    http://moto-choice.com/en/Press-Rele...-at-EICMA.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Ducati Streetfighter or Hypermotard as a second bike?

Fred,
    I ride a 2010 Streetfighter S. originally I bought it to be my Streetbike but after taking it up to the track this year i haven't rode it on the street at all, I was at the track this past Tuesday don't know if you did both days. the 1098 engine will have you grinning from ear to ear every time you ride it, it's fun to go to the track and people look at it and ask what the heck is that? however it does not like going slow (under 2500 RPM), in traffic the bike can be downright a chore to ride. last year I got a chance to ride a Hyper 1100 at European bike day at the Museum of transportation, loved that bike and realized how much more comfortable and easy that bike is to ride on the street than my SFS 1098. if i had to do it again and I was to get a around town street bike I would get the hyper. but I love my SFS and like you said it holds its own at the track, gobs and gobs of torque however it's power delivery is a bit rougher than a full fairing 1098 and takes a bit getting used to. As my track riding skills improve I love the SFS more and more but if you already have a R1 you plan to track you may not want a second track bike? I hear good things about the SF 848 and that it may be a little bit more street friendly. either way I think whatever choice you make you'll be happy.

-Lionel
    98' 748
    2010 Streetfighter S

Both are great bikes, and are pretty different. It depends a good deal on your riding style, and on the way you use a bike. The StreetFighter definitely has the advantage in performance, while the HyperMotard is a more versatile bike -- so that depends on whether you are mainly ride for fun and performance, or whether you want the bike to serve more purposes than that. Also, is your riding style more inclined to finesse and small careful inputs, or to manhandling the bike around? If the former, then the StreetFighter will better suit your style; I found it to be very responsive and delicate in its behavior, and well suited to a finessed approach. The HyperMotard, OTOH, is something you romp around on; it responds well to body english and physical activity.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 10-14-12 at 01:15 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I love that motor...same as my Multi. But the 1100ds gives me wood...tough decision! must suck to be you...!!!!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I have a 2010 streetfighter (it is for sale). It's a great bike. 1098 performance and motor with livable ergonomics and a looks that kill. What more could you want in a streetbike? I can't see modifying it much, other than possibly a different seat and some tank grips.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

xxaarraa

The Hyper looks sick in real life! It's freaking tall though. I am not a fan of the techno-brutal design of the Streetfighters. But I think 999s were beautiful so what do I know?

Last edited by xxaarraa; 10-14-12 at 05:14 PM.

go hyper! the streetfighter scared me!

Sounds like a quality problem many would love to have.

@Gonz0 - Thanks for the insight man! I am looking to keep the R1 and have that be my track bike. I'm eyeing the SF as just a fun street bike. I like the idea of the more upright riding position (though not as upright as the Hyper). The owner of Seacoast cycles said the 848SF is a bit more forgiving and a little more oriented for the street with higher bars than the SFS, as well as less rake to the front wheel. I'm going to test ride both before I make a choice, but styling wise I like the SF better. I love the aggressive stance it has.

@PhilB - I am only going to be riding it for fun first and foremost, with performance coming second. I'm just looking for a hoot to bomb around on back country roads and up in the mountains of Maine and NH. I see what you mean about the different ways the two bikes handle, and am not sure which I'd prefer. I'm used to manhandling and powersliding on MX bikes, yet now use that finesse you mention on the R1. Not sure which I'd prefer, though my pace will definitely be a bit slower on road (I rarely am more than about 5mph from the speed limit), and am more into exploring and having a blast.

@Maxim_X - Why are you selling yours? How many miles are on it? How much are you selling it for? I agree, the looks kill, and the power seems intoxicating. I'm eyeing an 848, but mostly for price reasons.

I'm not in any rush to buy anything, but am saving along every month and will likely buy next spring.
    Out in left field I could potentially consider selling the R1, but I just don't think I'd get a whole lot for it, and it's the sickest year/color combo I've seen. My biggest gripe with it on-road is when I do 300+ miles in a day, my wrists and back get sore. On the track though, it's awesome, and I think it's a great bike for that.

Goodnight guys, thanks for all the info, and for helping me think things through!
    -Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fr333zy View Post
    @Maxim_X - Why are you selling yours? How many miles are on it? How much are you selling it for? I agree, the looks kill, and the power seems intoxicating. I'm eyeing an 848, but mostly for price reasons.

-Fred
    I haven't listed it for sale yet but I'm ready to move on. I bought it this spring for a street ride. All summer I haven't put more than 1000 miles on it. I think it has 6-7k on it now. I'm looking for 10,000. Truthfully I used to ride much more on the street but since I've been bitten by the track bug riding a bad-assed bike on the street doesn't do it for me. I'll probably end up with something like a bmw gs800 or another sv650 for a primary street ride.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

For "exploring and having a blast", and sticking to reasonable speeds, I'd pick the HyperMotard. I've never rode a bike that was that much fun. Below are my testride impressions of both:

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB
    I rode a HyperMotard on the second test ride. I liked this a lot better than I thought I was going to. I had been kind of apprehensive about the height, but it wasn't as bad as it looks. I was able to put the balls of my feet down on both sides, so no tippiness or sliding off was required. The riding position is quite different. On the Monster, you are sitting behind the engine; on the HyperMotard, you are perched on top of the engine, a few inches higher and several inches forward. This contributes to more weight on, and a much more planted feel for, the front end, which felt good. The 1100 is another step up from the DS1000, so it did feel a lot stronger than my 900. This is a cool bike. It still doesn't really grab me aesthetically (although it's a bazillion times better than the MultiStrada), but it works great.
    =====
    This weekend was the introduction of the new Ducati StreetFighter, which is basically a naked bike version of the 1098 superbike. 155hp, about 370lbs dry, lots of attitude. I had seen it at the Cycle World show in Long Beach, back in December, and was not super impressed style-wise. This is what I wrote back then:
    The big news at the Ducati booth was the world premiere showing to the public of the StreetFighter. For any who don’t know, Ducati’s naked bike line has been the Monster for a long time. It began with the basic air-cooled 2V/cyl engine, and later the “S4” versions were added using the water-cooled 4V/cyl engines from the 916 through 999 lines. These were cool, but never quite aesthetically gelled – too many hoses and radiators to fit well in the Monster style frame. Ducati has decided to split the line now. The Monster will continue, but only with the air-cooled engines. The naked 4V/cyl bikes will get their own style, and become the StreetFighter line. So this is the first of those, basically a naked 1098. They did a pretty good job of capturing the street fighter style, and a quite impressive job of cleaning up the mechanicals and hiding a lot of the hoses and gubbins in a little chin spoiler setup so it looks pretty clean. There’s not much on the market now that would be a direct competitor, really. Perhaps the MV Agusta Brutale. It’s got a lot of ‘tude, like a Triumph Speed Triple on steroids. I don’t think it quite grabs me, but it is cool, and I’d certainly like to ride one at some point.
    So now comes the chance to do that. I went to GP Motorcycles in the early afternoon, and took a spin on the standard StreetFighter, then went one town over to Moto Forza in Escondido where they were having a more formal test ride setup. There I took another ride on a standard HyperMotard first, then the StreetFighter S.
    =====
    StreetFighter impressions:

Holy shit.

Might as well smear my driver’s license in seal blubber, tape it to my helmet, and jump in the polar bear enclosure at the zoo. This bike is a moving violation, that doesn’t even wait to happen; it just happens.

Getting on, the bike is a little tall. Not quite as tall as the HyperMotard, and certainly not unmanageable, but quite a bit taller than my Monster. The bike’s stance is sort of canted forward like a hot rod – low in the front, high in the tail, with the rider pretty far forward. The instrument panel is small and low down on top of the headlight, so the bike visually disappears before you. You look forward and just see the world rushing at you. You look down at the instruments, and you can actually see the tip of your front fender and tire right out there leading the way.

The main impression of this bike is that it is confidence-inspiring. The riding position is comfortable, the controls all work very easily and precisely, and the performance happens effortlessly. Everything is low effort. The steering with the wide bar is light. The clutch is light. The shifting action is very light and smooth; I was particularly impressed with it. The braking is one finger, maybe two in a panic stop. This would be a great chick bike; it rewards finesse, not being manhandled.

Even on a first ride, being extra careful due to unfamiliarity, it was much faster than I generally go. I went up a little twisty stretch that I am very familiar with; it’s on my usual way home from work, so I ride it most days. The second corner is the trickiest, slightly off-camber, and tightens a bit as it goes. It is marked 30mph; on my bike I take it comfortably at about 60, at 70 I am starting to drag boots and muffler. On the StreetFighter, I swept around it at what felt like a comfortably slow pace, with plenty of reserve, glanced down at the speedo and saw it was at 80. No drama, no worries, just smooth ridiculous speed. It was like that everywhere. Effortlessly, on an unfamiliar bike, going 20mph faster than I usually go, perfectly easily and safely. Astounding.

This bike was fitted with the Termignoni exhaust, which gave it a rich deep rumble, a bit loud, but not really obnoxious. I did stop by my house to show it to my wife, and she said she heard me 3 blocks away, and knew it had to be me – nothing else sounds like a Ducati. She thought it looked pretty sweet (this one was white), but noted that the passenger perch looked a bit less than sumptuous.

Although the style still doesn’t really grab me, it is not a bad looking bike. It seems it would be competent all around, much like my Monster – good for general usage, comfortable enough for traveling (one-up), fantastic at fun blasting. You could get some soft luggage on it. The mirrors actually give you a good view behind. It’s really well thought out all around. The standard model comes in red or white, with a black frame; I’d definitely take the red. I had been a bit skeptical of the idea of trying to contain that level of superbike performance in a naked standard style bike, but they have done an excellent job.
    =====
    HyperMotard:

I had test ridden one of these once before and really liked it. I still do. It’s clearly not going to beat the StreetFighter in a race, but it does perform really well. The big air/oil-cooled twin has a ton of grunt, and really sounds and feels it. This bike takes a different riding style than the StreetFighter; much more active, more manhandling, more effort. But this is also a hell of a lot of fun. This bike still puts a grin on my face like no other bike I’ve tested. The shifting is a little clonky, but otherwise everything works smoothly. The passenger area is much improved over the Monster or StreetFighter, and there would be more room for luggage as well.

I’d have to say, for my money, this would still be top of my list if I was to buy a new bike.
    =====
    StreetFighter S

This differs from the standard mainly in having higher standard suspension (Ohlins instead of Showa at both ends), as well as having the electronic traction control (DTC) system. Neither of these changes was strongly apparent on the street. We were riding fairly briskly, but I think you’d need to be hitting it pretty hard for the Ohlins or the DTC to really show up as making a difference. This bike had the stock exhaust, which was definitely more civilized than the Termis were. The S comes in red or black, with a bronze colored frame; it looks really good in the black.

The impression of effortlessness and confidence-inspiring was reinforced. Again, it just felt like the bike naturally wanted to do the right thing, all the time. It never felt like I was wrestling the bike, or like I had to “tame” it. It just went fast, smoothly and easily.

I would probably not spend the extra for the S version, given that I am not really a very hard rider, unless I was rich enough that the $3K difference didn’t matter much to me. Either way, though, I think this bike is a fine machine, and stands to be a big success for Ducati.
    =====
    I then took a spin on the new smaller HyperMotard 796, while my friend took an 848 out.

She felt a lot more familiar with the 848 of course, and enjoyed the little spin, but noted how much work it was to ride quickly compared to the effortless speed of the MV.

I enjoyed the little Hyper. The HyperMotard 1100 has been top of my short list for a while, and remains there. The 796 was surprisingly peppy and fun, and would make a good all-around bike for anyone who isn’t short. I would still take the big one, but if I was on a limited budget, I could be perfectly happy with the 796. I don’t know what the secret ingredient is, but that bike just makes me smile to ride, like nothing else ever has.

It was obvious that it wasn’t objectively comparable to the MV in any way, yet I enjoyed riding it at least as much, which is what the bottom line really is. Very impressive, especially for under $10K. That’s about what I paid for my Monster 17 years ago.
    PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Hyper all the way. I'll never get rid of mine, it's the most fun I've ever had on the street. Way more rideable and comfy, and plenty sporty.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Make sure you test ride the SF848 before you buy. Coming from an R1, Im betting you'll find it very underpowered. I sure did. (and I still bought an 848...although the SBK motor is completely different than the SF motor)

@PhilB - Thank you very much for the detailed impressions of both bikes! Based on what you said I think the bikes are now even in my head. The Hyper sounds like it still might be the total blast I'm looking for! Definitely going to test ride both!

@darkduc7 - Thanks for the input on the Hyper. I've heard that from more than a few people, including one at a trackday, and he seemed to hold his own from a speed perspective. That, combined with the awesome riding position, as well as the light weight and flickability seems like something I could really enjoy. The plot thickens!!

@jwm2k3 - Thanks for the suggestion, I'm definitely going to take a test ride on both before I decide. I had an R6 before the R1, and I'm hoping the power is in that neighborhood, but as long as it's reasonably peppy, I should be happy. I mean the more power the better, but my main interest is going to be a bike that's fun. If I find it super lacking, maybe I'd consider stepping up to the SF1098S, but I'd really prefer a little smaller motor if possible. I think ~130 should be enough for me to have fun and blast around back country roads.

Wirelessly posted (iPhone)

You'll need to give yourself some time to adjust to the powerband of any of these twins. You will probably be up against the rev limiter until you adjust...but once you do you'll find the way these put the power to the ground intoxicating! Good luck with your test rides!!!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.