Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Shoei Qwest - Good deal or wait for the winter markdowns

So I was browsing the usual site for a deal on helmets and came upon the Shoei Qwest. I'll be honest and say that I've never looked at Shoei or Arai as they are out of my range. But for $275 I got really excited as its the cheapest I've seen in Shoeis. I went to the local dealer and checked it out and it fit properly. It actually fit better than the RPHA-10 that I was considering. So now the question is, are better deals yet to come or this is as low as it goes? This is supposidly a touring helmet but if it flows enough air on a sportbike, I'll be fine with it. Should I wait for a deal the RF1100 or they just down get marked down much?

Here's the helmet I'm talking about.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...le_helmet.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Re: Shoei Qwest - Good deal or wait for the winter markdowns

I've had one for a year and I really like it. For 275$ I think it's an incredible deal. If you don't need it for the season, you could wait and see if the RF-1100 prices come down over wintier.

Last edited by 01xj; 10-10-12 at 07:30 PM.

Lifer

Yeah, those kind of caught my eye too. If they were solid colors..

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I think it's an incredible deal. If you don't need it for the season, you could wait and see if the RF-1100 prices come down over wintier.
    Swift,
    I love my Shoei RF-1100. Granted my previous helmet was a Joe Rocket RKT101. Maybe you should wait and see. I am not knocking the Qwest by any means. Keep in mind the season is winding down (for most of us). There are going to be some sick deals to be at hand soon i.g. Cyber Monday, Christmas. Things I tend to look at when I am in the market for a helmet, are for Safety features/test results, comfort, weight, airflow, hardware/component design, asthetics, price. Best of luck on buying your new lid, regardless of what you choose.

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

As far as I know, the Qwest and the RF-1100 are the same helmet, but the RF-1100 got the "cooler" graphics and more vents. Both score the same in impact ratings, which is oustanding.

Only downfall to my Qwest after a year of ownership is not having the removable liner. The cheek pads come out which is nice, but the rest of the liner is starting to really stink. Next time a removable liner will be necessity.

Have the anthracite (grey) Qwest. As mentioned above the top liner isn't removable, so it is more difficult to keep clean. It is a different shell than an RF1100. The RF is more oval, while the Qwest is more round. I was all set to get an RF until it fit tight on the sides of my head and too much gap front and back. Tried on the Qwest and perfect fit.

2013 ZX6R-636

Thanks for the input so far guys. Before this went on sale, I was considering the HJC RPHA-10. I went to the store and tried both on. Immediately after putting the RPHA on, I could feel slight pressure on the front part of my head. After 15 minutes, it wasn't bad and I kinda got used to it. I also tried the Qwest on, and it seemed to fit better, but it might be due to just having the RPHA on right before. I would probably say that they fit pretty similarly. The RPHA def is lighter, and you can buy 2 HJC shields for the price of a Shoei shield.

For those who have this helmet, how is it in airflow and noise. As I understand it, this is a touring helmet. I ride street right now, and will be doing a couple track days next season. On the street, I'm sitting up(for a sportsbike) most of the time, but still not in the "touring" position(straight up). I'll probably be in a tucked position on the highway 30% of the time. How would the airflow work for me. Also, I usually wear ear plugs. Is this helmet quiet to the point where I could just get plugless?

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

I don't know how or why they came up with a designation of "touring" for this helmet. It is no different than any other sport influenced full face helmet. Mine vents reall well. The chin vent moves a ton of air onto my face and keeps the sweat off my face during the summer time. The shield has a ventilation, closed, and locked position. I use the cracked open ventilation position all the time. It's great for cold weather riding because it de-fogs my shield without blasing me wih cold air. I can sit at a stoplight in 40 degree temperatures with the shield popped up to the ventilation position and not fog up.

It's quiet but not to the point I'd consider riding without ear plugs. I have a sena SMH-10 atached to mine which creates a bit more buffeting, but I use foam ear plugs and listen to my music every time I ride.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Or something similarly styled like the RF-1100.

Last edited by 01xj; 10-11-12 at 08:22 AM.

I read somewhere that the only reason it was designated as touring is how the air vents are set up for more of an upright riding position vs the RF's vents. Might have seen it on a Revzilla video?? Just wish the top liner came out.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    I read somewhere that the only reason it was designated as touring is how the air vents are set up for more of an upright riding position vs the RF's vents. Might have seen it on a Revzilla video?? Just wish the top liner came out.
    That is what my impression is also. I just don't want to get a helmet that I won't get good enough airflow in a normal sportbike riding position.

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

That's a good deal, but helmets without removable liners are a non-starter for me.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    That is what my impression is also. I just don't want to get a helmet that I won't get good enough airflow in a normal sportbike riding position.
    I've ridden in it from 20 degrees in February to what had to be a 100 degree day at TTD in June. I think the airflow is pretty good for sport bike riding, but the CBR is a bit more upright than say an R6 and I don't really lay on the tank all that much.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    I've ridden in it from 20 degrees in February to what had to be a 100 degree day at TTD in June. I think the airflow is pretty good for sport bike riding, but the CBR is a bit more upright than say an R6 and I don't really lay on the tank all that much.
    I am riding a RC51, which is more aggressive than Jae's '04 600rr.

How is the stability of the helmet?

No issues highway or track. Wind seems to flow around it pretty smoothly.

2013 ZX6R-636

I have nothing to report about the buffeting, it's always seemed very smooth to me.

Thanks guys for chiming in. Ended up biting the bullet on this. I hope I like this thing!!