Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Shopping for 04 R1...at Riverside in Somerville, MA

Stopped in at Riverside to see if they had any 04 R1's to sit on, get a feel for. They hadn't received any as of yet, but will soon. Met with a guy named David Walsdorf. He said his first allotment is for 27 R1s, of which he had deposits on 16 of them. So, I sat on a 2003 R6...he said that the 04 R1 would be a similar ergonomic fit, size, etc. It seemed fine, within the same range of rider position, reach, etc. of my current 97 ZX900R. But, I'll have to try an actual 04 R1 for final decision on the fit and comfort level, being as I am 6' 4". Anyway, he isn't going to budge on the MSRP of $10,600, but would drop the transportation and set-up fees, around $400 worth, or so. Since the 04 R1 is hot, there really is no need for him to negotiate the MSRP, I guess, and I can deal with that. I wasn't surprised by it. Soooo...has anyone else here bought or put a deposit on an 04 R1, and did you pay MSRP? Were you able to strike any kind of deal, and where did you buy it? Any of you here had any dealings with Riverside as far as their reputation, etc.? The 04 R1 is VERY cool, as it is an all new make-over, and I'm considering it for my next purchase. Any feedback would be mucho appreciated. Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Greenmonster....aka Mark? From Sportriders? If so, welcome to SRNE. What came of the accident? I assume the 9r was fixed as it is still w/you. Wanna sell that motor? BTW....get the ZX10R. I have no opinion of any of the liter bikes now as they are all well put together machines. It basically comes down to looks now......but why not stay Green.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

I meant NESR.....duh.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Thumbs down Shopping for 04 R1...at Riverside in Somerville, MA

I don't like Riverside!

When I first moved here, I went to Riverside looking to buy a small EX-something. The guy that I talked to there (can't remember his name... older guy with a mustache and a ducati) kept telling me that I should buy a ducati monster and not an EX500 because - his EXACT words to me - "This is New England. People don't ride little bikes here."

I said I would look at the used duc (someone was supposed to bring it in that afternoon as a trade-in), but the guy was insistent that I not stay around and talk to the owner who was bringing in the bike.

anyway, I ended up leaving and not buying my bike from them. I found them to be too pushy and I got the feeling that they were just trying to get $$$ out of me. I've talked to some other people who've dealt with riverside and had not-the-best experiences with them also. It might be ok for you though since you already know what you want.

just my 2 cents

Yo, RYE!!! Yep, that's me! The 9R is all taken care of...$4500 bucks later, paid for by the idiots insurance co., looking like new! Which it pretty much did when you last saw it! LOL. It's got a Hindle slip-on on it now, don't remember if it did when you last came by. Hope all is ok with you. Yea, I may consider the ZX-10...I'm just testing the waters with the R1 is all. Who knows...I may keep it for another year...it all depends on what I can wrangle for the R1. So far, the replies don't favor Riverside so well. If I sell the ZX9 this year, I'll be asking $4500 or so. She's only got 14K+ on her, and the tip-over was purely cosmetic plastic work...no structural damage. Like getting new body work for free! Hope to talk to you soon..maybe do some more wrenching on the ZX! Take care!
    Mark

What most of you don't know is this.......

Here's the low down on the Suzuki SV1000...
    Dealer Invoice Report
    2003 SV 1000 S

List Price: $8599

Dealer Cost: $7236

*** Dealer cost includes freight to the dealership ***

Assembly Cost: $50 per Suzuki dealer price sheet
    Each dealership has its own method of figuring the actual cost of assembly and preparation for sale.

Ready to Sell Cost: $7286

Dealer Holdback: This Suzuki has 3% (of list price) dealer holdback.

Holdback money is paid to Suzuki dealers in September for units that are sold between September 1 and August 31 of the previous model year. Dealers must pay Suzuki the full "Dealer Cost" price and wait 1 to 12 months after selling the machine to receive their dealer holdback.

Wholesale Incentives: none at this time

Retail Incentives: none at this time

The "Ready to sell cost" is the cost of the machine with NO PROFIT to a dealer. Dealers do not stay in business very long by selling machines for no profit.

Many dealers charge additional fees for "Freight and Setup" over and above the selling price of the machine. Add the "Selling Price" to the "Freight and Setup" charges and subtract the "Ready to sell cost" to determine the PROFIT a dealer is asking to make

I Dance With Will

so Mark,

how do you find out the "ready to sell cost"? will they tell you if ask?

"fuckit!"

I'll put my 2c in since i've at least sat on the new R1, ZX10, and Gix 1K. IMO, they have ruined the R1 asthetically. there's little plasticy bits all over . Like they tried to "out bling" the competition. What looks good in pics doesn't carry over to real life. Also, the view from the cockpit is awful. It's like sitting behind a black box . Personally, i'd get the ZX10. It's by far the best looking and most of my friends who were with me at the NYC show share my sentiment. Unfortunately, the ZX is TINY. If your over six foot, you look like you are on a pocketbike.
    The Gixxer has becomr the "sport Tourer" of the bunch (Isn't that ironic) with the most sensible ergos and conservative looks.
    YMMV of course but make sure you look at them all before you plonk down your money .
    Cheers, Lee S.

I know i'm slow, you don't have to rub it in.
    Why, Yes! I do think you're a Wanker!

Originally posted by Kham
    so Mark,

how do you find out the "ready to sell cost"? will they tell you if ask?
    They usually won't, but everything can be found on the internet...

Wheels of Freedom quoted me a price of 10,850 otd, for a 04 r1...FYI

Current Toys:

2005 Nissan Titan CC