Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The shopping list

Lifer

Re: The shopping list

i still say a busa is a wise choice

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have a 2011 fz1 for sale if your interested. Silver with 6207 miles and yoshi slip on.... title in hand

2011 FZ1
    2008 ZX-6R

" hang er over and leave a strip"

Quote Originally Posted by Solow89 View Post
    I have a 2011 fz1 for sale if your interested. Silver with 6207 miles and yoshi slip on.... title in hand
    PM sent.

replied

2011 FZ1
    2008 ZX-6R

I know it's not on your list, but my 2010 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter is for sale. Look it up if you don't know about the bike. It's basically a naked version of the 1098 superbike with a few changes to make it more comfortable. It replaced the Monster S4r when it came out.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    2010+ Z1000
    My neighbor has a 2012 Z1000 and I had the pleasure of riding it for just under 800 miles last year. I'm not a Kawi fan, but it was surprisingly nice. The upright seating position made the 400+ miles in one day feel like I never got on a bike. My only complaint, there is an annoying little buzz around 60-65mph in 6th gear. it "feels" like it needs another gear to shift, but the RPM's were still pretty low.
    I know a few weeks ago he was at a dealer asking about trading it in for an R6, but didn't pull the trigger. I can ask if he still wants to sell it or not...I think it has under 3,000 miles on it

Yamaha

Expanded my budget to $10K, looking currently at:

2009 FZ1 (seems like the most logical pick)

2010 MV Augusta Brutale 990R (worried maintenance and lack of dealers for service)

2014 FZ9 (front suspension maybe a deal breaker)

2010+ Z1000

2014 Street triple R (not sure how the smaller bike will be for a few two up overnight trips?)

Thought, comments?
    I cannot speak on the other mfg's but any of the Yamahas you are considering in this catagory of "sport tour" will need something in the suspension department, IMO. Around 2005 is when things really went wrong (again, IMO) as my (then) 2008 FZ1 could have benefitted greatly from a shock that simply needed better rebound damping (forks felt great however). Not sure how "enthusiastic" you ride though so you might have a completely different opinion but I found the 2008 FZ1 in particular to be downright scary when heeled over...part of the thrill I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    I cannot speak on the other mfg's but any of the Yamahas you are considering in this catagory of "sport tour" will need something in the suspension department, IMO. Around 2005 is when things really went wrong (again, IMO) as my (then) 2008 FZ1 could have benefitted greatly from a shock that simply needed better rebound damping (forks felt great however). Not sure how "enthusiastic" you ride though so you might have a completely different opinion but I found the 2008 FZ1 in particular to be downright scary when heeled over...part of the thrill I suppose
    Well that is a slight bummer, just pulled the trigger on a 2009 Yamaha Fz1 with 7k miles. I thought when I rode with you quite a while ago (maybe 2010) that you liked the handling of the later Fz1?

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    My neighbor has a 2012 Z1000 and I had the pleasure of riding it for just under 800 miles last year. I'm not a Kawi fan, but it was surprisingly nice. The upright seating position made the 400+ miles in one day feel like I never got on a bike. My only complaint, there is an annoying little buzz around 60-65mph in 6th gear. it "feels" like it needs another gear to shift, but the RPM's were still pretty low.
    I know a few weeks ago he was at a dealer asking about trading it in for an R6, but didn't pull the trigger. I can ask if he still wants to sell it or not...I think it has under 3,000 miles on it
    Thanks for the offer Mark, but I'm going to own my second Yamaha out 34+ bikes.

Well that is a slight bummer, just pulled the trigger on a 2009 Yamaha Fz1 with 7k miles. I thought when I rode with you quite a while ago (maybe 2010) that you liked the handling of the later Fz1?
    I wouldn't be slightly bummed in the least! I am one rider who feels the factory shock masks what the rest of the chassis is capable of. It's still a great motorcycle.

edit: Keep in mind that I'm also coming from the perspective of "let's see what I can do on this thing" in a track setting.

Last edited by butcher bergs; 04-26-14 at 02:24 PM.

That has been my biggest concern about buying a non super sport class bike, the suspensions always seemed to waaay under perform compared to the engine. Guess I'll have to wait and see

That has been my biggest concern about buying a non super sport class bike, the suspensions always seemed to waaay under perform compared to the engine. Guess I'll have to wait and see
    You can easily swap in R1 suspension for the fz1. I believe the 04-06 range R1 is the easiest to swap with the cheapest cost. I think you could spend around 400 bucks and have a pretty kick ass suspension on it. Only thing you gotta do for fabricating is make a plate to hold the rectifier and relocate it as the r1 shock doesn't fit without this

2011 FZ1
    2008 ZX-6R

The Streetfighter suspension is identical to the 1098 superbike, just saying.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12