Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

"Shotguns"

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Re: "Shotguns"

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    again, only in reference to CT.. but as i understand it, only an on-duty officer of the law can carry an exposed firearm here.

reminds me a of a quick story
    when i was interviewing with the local police chief to get my town permit he told me a story about a guy from texas who moved up here and got his permit.. apparently the chief asked the guy in his interview if he knew what to do if he got pulled over in a car and had a firearm on him.. the guy's response was to "throw them them all up on the dashboard so the police know where they are"..

I've heard 2 schools of thought on that one. The first is to simply keep your mouth shut, and if he asks answer calmly what you have, where it is and where your permit is. Keep your hands in sight. The second is to tell him right off the bat "Officer I just want to make you aware there is a firearm in the vehicle, I am licensed to carry it and just want to make you aware of the situation."

Either way I think you can expect the felony stop procedure while they secure the weapon and check your permit, so I tend to lean toward #1. If you're just getting a speeding ticket or something it is most likely to never come up, they'll never know and you're on your way in 1/4 the time without getting cuffed up, thrown on the car, etc. I guess it's a personal choice though.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

I tend towards the don't announce philosophy.
    In other words, until asked, it does not exist.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

Yea, I'm not carrying often but I figure if I'm in the car and get nabbed there's a good chance it's cause I went through a 'yellow' or have a light out. (I'm not much of a crazy driver anyhow.) So I probably wouldn't share UNLESS I was asked (Have never been before). AFAIK there is no CC lookup for CT and I don't have an NRA sticker on my rig..

When I get my new birthday present I'll probably be carrying more but still not an everyday thing.

But to Cerberus' point, concealed means CONCEALED. I'm sure people will freak out easily enough. And it takes no time to get your guns and permit pulled and a LONG time to get them back! So def worth it to keep things under wraps.

Signatures stink

Random side note: last time I was in Conway, NH I noticed a younger guy riding a GSX-R with a sidearm on his hip. Watched him park the bike and walk into a store with the pistol in plain sight. I paused for a second then thought "well, this is NH after all". Live free or die.

that is sweet!
    last summer my friend called me to do some plinking at the fish and game club, i really wanted to sling my shotty and ride to the range...of course i'd take the bayonet off first.

i ended up taking my truck to avoid any circumstances, as i have NO idea what New York's rules are involving this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    If you're just getting a speeding ticket or something it is most likely to never come up, they'll never know and you're on your way in 1/4 the time without getting cuffed up, thrown on the car, etc. I guess it's a personal choice though.

Every time I've been in the cage and got pulled, I've always been asked about guns in the car. Even with the tag light. And that's usually only part of it, I also get asked about knives, bombs, grenades and once I was asked if I had Bin Laden in the trunk. Course if I did I'd also mention the gun that put the hole in his head being in the car too.

Here in VT I don't see many people carrying openly. Only during hunting seasons. The majority of people carry concealed...no permit required. I know people that have been stopped with loaded pistols in VT and apparently they got a huge ration of shit as a result...like screamed at and told it wasn't needed. If only everyone that carried was clairvoyant enough to know when it was safe to leave it home........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12