Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Turn signal requirements in MA

Turn signal requirements in MA

I want to get a fender eliminator kit for the SV650. Most kits come with a license plate bracket and light, and turn signals (which are required in PRM).

But are there any requirements for the spacing of turn signals?

Many of the kits integrate the turn signals into the body, so that the spacing is little more than the width of the license plate. The OEM fender eliminator and Evotech use the standard "stalks" so they're a bit wider.

So they range from:

to:

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Turn signal requirements in MA

rear signals must be a minimum of 9 inches apart in MA.
    But some inspection stations do not care as long as you have blinkers.

There's an in between one that I have but can't remember the name of the company (I think knee draggers carried but I'm at a loss). The flush ones can be rejected, not to mention they're not that bright. I went with that one and Rizomas. I made 1 for my 650 and my 1k, pretty easy actually.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

yup...page 28 if you want to see it in writing
    http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/540cmr400.pdf

could also supplement your signals with passenger peg signals...if you can find them for your bike
    http://tripageled.com/os/product_inf...roducts_id=116

or diy some
    http://www.dikkydo.com/pegs/pegs.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    rear signals must be a minimum of 9 inches apart in MA.
    But some inspection stations do not care as long as you have blinkers.

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

The DOT requirement is federal.

AFAIK 9" is just about the width of your license plate.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    yup...page 28 if you want to see it in writing
    http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/540cmr400.pdf//
    Thanks, here's the actual text.

Turn Signals. Each motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973 shall be equipped with front and rear turn signal lamps.

Front turn signal lamps shall be amber mounted at or near the front of the motorcycle on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and shall have a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between turn signal lamp and head lamp shall be four inches.

Rear turn signals shall be red or amber mounted on each side of the vertical center line at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (measured from center of lamps) of nine inches.

All turn signal lamps shall be mounted at a height from the road surface of not less than 15 inches nor more than 83 inches.

Turn signal lamps shall flash at a rate of 60 to 120 flashes per minute. The turn signal lamp activating control shall be positioned so as to be operated without removing the hand from the handlebar and shall properly indicate right and left when so switched.

Turn signal lamps shall be visible at a distance of 200 feet under normal daylight conditions.

Every motorcycle shall be equipped with a device to permit the front and rear directional signals to flash simultaneously if originally equipped by the manufacturer.
    The SV650S has two headlights: does the 4" spread from the headlight still apply? I found some very cool LED flush mounted lamps that I like for the front. the stockers are hideous and break easily.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-07-10 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-6R View Post
    I was recently told that turn signals must be DOT approved, I am also aware that they must extend 9 inches from the center of the light (brake) bar.

Not evidence backing up the DOT rule but this is Massachusetts, if you know what I mean...
    11) Lighting Devices and Reflectors.

(a) In general. All lighting devices and reflectors required by applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards when the particular motorcycle was originally manufactured and such devices required by Massachusetts General Law or Rules and Regulations applicable to the particular motorcycle inspected shall be securely attached to the vehicle and capable of performing their design functions. Lenses must be intact, clean, unobstructed and free from cracks. All lenses on stop lamps, tail lamps, turn signal lamps and reflectors must be approved by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and as evidence of such of approval indicate the symbol "SAE" on the lens. All replacement lighting devices and reflectors shall meet applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard's at the time they were installed. No additional lamp, reflective device or other motor vehicle equipment shall be installed that impairs the effectiveness of lighting equipment required under these regulations. Two or more lamps, reflectors or items of associated equipment may be combined if the requirements for each lamp, reflector or item of associated equipment are met.

most places arent going to look for SAE or DOT on the lense, they're more likely to check the spacing.

2002 RC51
    -Aluminum undertail, custom GP Can and mid-pipe, Jardine 2-1 Header, PC3, EBC Wave Rotors (F&R), CRG's, Goodridge SS Lines, Greggs, Black w/ Flattening and some carbon goodies

USMC - Semper Fi
    POW/MIA - Not Forgotten

I really wouldn't worry too much about if the signals are DOT approved. I threw on some lights on my rear peg brackets after being failed at Cambridge Ducati for my integrated rear light, and they passed no problem with these new lights on there.

Unlike many of the videos I've found, mine do amber turn, low red running, and high red brake lights as well. I've had people comment on how easy it is to see when I'm on the brakes, and signaling to turn.

You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style

Nice setup.

I wound up buying the Evo-Tech fender exterminator, which uses the OEM turn signals. Now I need to find something for the fronts, which are ugly, exposed, and expensive if you break one.