Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Plating an off road dirt-bike

Plating an off road dirt-bike

I've tried searching previous threads on how to do this and couldn't find anything so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse, however I recently acquired a 1995 Honda XR600 that is currently off road only. I live in MA and was wondering what it would take to get it registered in NH and convert that to a Mass registration? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Plating an off road dirt-bike

MA will reqiure a bit more stuff to get it plated than NH. Nh all you need is a horn, headlight and tail light/break light.. MA everything a street legal bike needs..Directionals head lights, dot tires ect

you can also do the South Dakota/ VT plates and transfer it over after but it still will need to pass inspection after...

Lifer

NH also requires mirrors, chain guard, and DOT rated tires.

NH only requires headlight,tail light, brake light off the rear brake, left mirror and horn. No need for chain guard or DOT tires. There's a form you can have an inspection station fill out, I just wrote a letter to my town. I have a KDX, added a 9v bicycle horn left bar end mirror and rear brake light: done.

Lifer

My guy would not pass my DRZ without a chain guard. Yes, I thought it was fucking retarded too. I fabricated one from some aluminum scraps. It looked like ass, probably was not very effective, but got me my sticker.
    I've since found a new "guy" who seems to care less about the details. Although I've heard he has picked up on non-DOT tires.

Having wrestled an xr600 in the woods before, I think the best course of action is to sell it and get something different.
    Me, you, and everyone else here are not Scott Summers.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I kitted mine off ebay for cheap

Made a photo montage and registered in Vermont no physical inspection

There was NO hope here in CT as they require the ORIGINAL paper of origin period
    so far so good but I only ride occasionally at Pachuag

However they do not need a title for under 300cc not sure what on 600

Last edited by Stromper; 05-08-16 at 07:42 AM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

STROMPER, CAN U GIVE ME MORE INFO ON HOW U DID THIS? I LIVE IN NY AND WANT TO BUY AN EDURO BIKE AND PUT A LIGHT KIT ON IT AND REGISTER IT. I KNOW IT WONT WORK FOR NY BUT WAS THINKING OF TRYING IN VT.
    THANKS

MICHAEL JACKSON MAN ONE HUNED NINETY EIGHT

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Reg/plate it in VT and then tranfer it to NY............................DONE

I doubt it's that easy.
    Have u done it?

Yes, I've done it *IN NH*. Registering is not the hurdle, getting it TITLED for HIGHWAY USE is what you're really after. Once you get the title changed from OFF HIGHWAY ONLY to HIGHWAY USE (or whatever they call it now), you can transfer the title just about anywhere. Then it's just a matter of it passing inspection in whatever state it end up in. But once you get it TITLED, you can register it just about anywhere without any problems...

I can't speak for MA. I've "bought" bikes from friends outside of NH, gotten them inspected, applied for the new title, then "sold" them their bikes back. Rarely has it even involved actually leaving the bike with me, as long as they can take a day off and come with me while I get it inspected. Once it gets the 'OK' from the inspection station, they were on their way while I went and applied for the change of title. Then just send them the new title - no need for me to even register it at that point. It's relatively easy *IN NH*, especially if you can find someone from a small town that's willing to help you out with the "transfers" of ownership. Being in a small town usually makes interactions at the local town hall go MUCH smoother...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

OK. VT IS CLOSEST TO ME SO ID RATHER DO IT THERE. ANYONE RECOMMEND A GARAGE THAT WILL INSPECT IT FOR ME BEFORE I GO TO THE DMV TO REGISTER IT? THANKS

A couple years ago I bought a plated and titled (in NH) CRF250X that I thought would be simple to register here in CT seeing it was already street titled. Well..., that wasn't quite so easy. Here in CT, no matter what, if the bike "resembles" a dirtbike then they require a "courtesy inspection" (so nice of them to offer such a courtesy) which essentially checks the bike for EVERY compliance here in CT. So what I thought was going to be easy, turned into me having to add all the proper lights, horn, mirror, chain guard, mud flap, DOT labeled tires.

I thought about going the VT route seeing I have in-laws up there. But, I figured it would be an instant red flag when a cop saw a basically full blown dirtbike riding on public roads down in CT.

Jeff

YEA BUT WOULDNT HAVE VT PLATES ON IT? I PLANNED ON JUST GETTING IT INSP AND REG IN VT AND GETTING VT PLATES FOR IT AND RIDING IT IN NY. THEN IF I GET PULLED OVER IN NY THERE'S NOTHING THEY CAN DO. I DONT THINK ANYWAY.

I just think they'll have a little more motive to look the bike over with a fine tooth comb and pick every little thing wrong with it. Also, register in VT, where's your drivers license from, where's your insurance from?

Jeff

I CALLED VT DMV AND HE SAID IT DOESNT MATTER IF IM FROM NY OR NOT. HE SAID ALL I NEED IS TO GET A VT INSP FIRST THEN GO TO THE DMV. IM JUST CONCERNED ABOUT FINDING A SHOP THAT DOESNT CARE ABOUT THE NON-DOT TIRES IT WOULD HAVE.

I'm not saying it can't be done because obviously it has been done by others. The red flags just weren't worth it to me and my driving record. Also, get in a wreck or get hit while riding it and now your drivers license and insurance are from another state, not worth the risk to me. I guess the older I get, the wiser or more scared I get.

Jeff

Good DOT tires can be had pretty cheap and they're still pretty darn good in the dirt. Why not just go legit, get the bike inspected with the correct tires, run them until they're junk then put your old non DOT tires back on?

Jeff

I DONT UNDERSTAND. WHY WOULD IT MATTER WHERE YOUR DL AND INSURANCE IS FROM? I SEE IT AS IF YOU HAVE IT THEN YOU ARE COVERED. IS THERE SOMETHING IM MISSING?

Welcome to the forum mjm. Can you please take your caps lock off? It seems like you're shouting while you're asking for a bunch of info from us and haven't so much as introduced yourself.
    In VT, you will need the bike registered and proof of insurance first to pass inspection and get an inspection sticker. A shop would probably be willing to look the bike over to see if it physically passes first, but they cannot issue an inspection sticker without registration and insurance.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Call your insurance company and run the situation by them. They'll find any way out when it comes time to pay out. Mine didn't like the idea.

Actually, my insurance company won't even let me be on the same auto policy as my girlfriend/fiance (that I have owned a house with for 10 years) without both our names on the registration.

Last edited by GearHd6; 02-01-17 at 03:54 PM.
    Jeff

Lifer

VT doesn't care what you do in the state of NY. NY however likely expects you to register your vehicle in the state it is primarily 'garaged' in. When you get stopped by an officer in NY, and present a NY drivers license, he's going to ask about the plate from a different state. You might get a warning that time, but they will eventually expect you to change it to NY.

This is why people above suggested getting it registered and/or titled somewhere, and then transferring it to the state you will be riding in.

Last edited by aldend123; 02-01-17 at 03:56 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

VT will let you register/title a vehicle IN Vermont without being a Vermont resident???

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Yeah, crazy hippies huh?

When I lived in CT in 1989, I registered my car in VT. I was 15 years old and obviously had no driver's license. You mail them name, address, VIN, they mail you plates. I think now you need a license number though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by carsick; 02-01-17 at 04:20 PM. Reason: extra info
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast