Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

This is going to sound odd...

but does anyone know how to convert a gear driven speedo greabox into one that can transmit signals created by magnets or sensors?

Basically, I can no longer use my stock mechanical speedo but do want to keep my stock computer and speedo, so Id like to try and convert it into one that can use magnets.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Lifer

What? the stock speedo is mechanical and turns a dial to drive the speedo? You want to mount a bicycle type magnet deal on the rims and get it to input into the same device? I think that's way more work that it's worth.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Yea I know.

I swapped my wheel and the new ones do not have the ability to "mate" with the stock speedo gear box.

My options as far as I can tell are
    1. Aftermarket computer which will be fine but Ill lose the stock stuff and the odo will be all fahkahakt.
    2. Keep stock stuff without speedo and add a bike one
    3. Figure something creative out, like "maybe" the magnet conversion bisness.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Lifer

The way i see it you'd have to get a sensor on the wheel, magnet, IR, or whatever, sort the signal and then convert it to a mechanical speed on a motor, probably using a custom program on a microcontroler, to turn the original equipment. I'd say go with the aftermarket setup, they can set the odometer to match some places.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

I was thinking mor along the lines of eliminating the mechnical portion altogether. Somehow converting the reception of a mechnical thing into one of magnetic?

Let me be clear that I have no idea how to or if this is possible or even makes sense. Where the hell is Bill when you need hime.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Lifer

I don't know what the internals of the speedo are but I'm asumine it's all mechanical gears. If it's converted to a variable voltage and works off that than you could set it up without the variable speed motor. That would be simpler but still a good amount of work to get it programed, wired, and calibrated.

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    I don't know what the internals of the speedo are but I'm asumine it's all mechanical gears. If it's converted to a variable voltage and works off that than you could set it up without the variable speed motor. That would be simpler but still a good amount of work to get it programed, wired, and calibrated.
    Who could I talk to about that?

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Talk to RandyO he had a speedo on his sv that had a pickup mounted to his rotor and a pickup on the fork it was all electronic. No need for the mechanical speedo gizmo.

Hope that helps.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by rmbbikes View Post
    Talk to RandyO he had a speedo on his sv that had a pickup mounted to his rotor and a pickup on the fork it was all electronic. No need for the mechanical speedo gizmo.

Hope that helps.

KB
    This exists. It can be purchased through trailtech and then you use their computer.

Id like exactly what you described but to somehow feed it into my stock computer???

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Lifer

Have you looked into some of the simple GPS units?

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Lifer

It would take some E.E. work but if the readout on your computer is digital then it can be done. Either by making your own kit or integrating one that you buy to mesh with your system. If it's a mechanical odometer you're back to the complex situation. I could talk to you about it, but I don't really have the time to play around taking it apart to figure it out, measuring, testing or setting stuff up. sowwy.

Can you get a speedo drive to match the wheel instead of using the stock drive

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Where the hell is Bill when you need hime.
    Someone looking for me?

I take it this is for your tard? I agree that if it is a pure mechanical setup it is going to be difficult unless you have good fabrication skills or machine shop connections.

If it's an electronic setup, odds are I could make something work. The only problem is, like Jay, I've been very busy as of late. If you can get some more info on the speedometer I can at least help you get moving in the right direction.

Do you have the factory service or shop manual? You can usually figure out how most things work in your vehicle by reading through a few sections.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909