Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

What NOT to do while high speed cornering...

Bikeless Prick

Awhile back I started a thread called "Am I a squid?" Well ladies and gents I arrived at the answer this weekend. The answer is a big resounding Fuckin oh ya!

- Wonder if you reinflated your tire after the recent night of drag racing.
    - Decide to test out your DOT approved helmet.
    - Become curious to see if your leathers will actually protect your fragile skin.
    - Test the strength of plastic fairings.
    - See if you can defy the laws of physics by applying full break while hard cornering.
    - Try to break Peter Jennings long jump record.

So, fuck me hard! On Saturday I was attempting to keep up with the lead group from SRNE on the Vermont ride. All morning had been glorious. Nice twisties and beautiful day. Nearing our rendevous spot for lunch I got a little... something, cocky, stupid, lax? At any rate I went into a left hand sweeper way too hot, panicked and committed the cardinal sin, I grabbed all brakes and froze. I don't know how fast (Craig, any ideas?) let's just say it was too fast.

Poor roket shot into the woods and I did my raggedy andy along the highway. I somehow limped the bike back to the camp and had my chick come pick up my lame ass.

I guess I learned some valuable lessons. Hopefully I'll be fixed and back soon.

Rich

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dude, that sucks. You are Ok and willing to go back. That is what counts.

Hope you can make it to track day in September. That is the best way to cure that uncertanty about entry speeds and how much speed you can actually carry through the corner. And about the only way to see what 929 can really do.

Eugene '99 EX 500R
    Wakefield, MA

Rich, don't beat yourself up too bad over the crash. Your riding skills are impressive and you ripped through MANY other turns before that with no incident. You were riding the group pace and doing fine. It didn't appear that you were riding over your head and I don't think you were. The corner was tight and there was 2' of gravel/tar bits on the right side. Even without the brakes you would have had to lean it over hard and would have been on the gravel.

Your gear worked great and you can say you "SKIED JAY PEAK"!! It was great riding with ya.

Bikeless Prick

Thanks for the warm posts. I had a scary trip... Chuck, no one warned me that Jay Peak was only for double black diamond riders!

As a side note... I have notified local authorities and provided descriptions of all the riders that... of course caused ME to go off the road. You should all expect visits shortly. I have also contacted my lawyer, Al Shapiro, he'll be in touch too.

(well, maybe not too funny considering current events, oh well, fuck it!)

Rich

Bikeless Prick

"Officer, I can i.d. 'em all. They were on them big loud bikes, I think there called Harley Davidson's. They even gave me the finger when they went by." One of 'em had a mean look on his face, I've seen him on the FBI's 10 most wanted, I think his name is Stonn...."

Rich, it was nice to meet you, sorry about the spill. You can give them my name all day long, I was at my mom's all weekend and have NO idea who was riding my bike! Honestly, if I was there, I wouldn't have a problem with being a witness.

Wah, poor Jay finally had a buddy up to ride home with, he shows up and you're not there.

You missed a great pow wow around the fire Saturday night.

Dude... sorry to hear about your spill. There are way too many bikes going down lately..... gotta be at least 5 in the last two weeks from the SNRE and NESR alone! Hope everything goes well...

Chip

Hoooooo!! Did I miss something here? Someone crashed on a NESR ride?? You can't count Kel, that kid was an accident waiting to happen...:o

And as far as I'm concerned this weekend was an SRNE ride!! (Hee hee)

[Edited on 8/7/01 by Stoneman]

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

"...One of 'em had a mean look on his face, I've seen him on the FBI's 10 most wanted, I think his name is Stonn...."
    Ha, ha, ha......punk.....

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Rich,

Seeing that awesome 929 at the bottom of the slope - in the woods, broke my heart. Seeing you stand up - all riled up and PISSED OFF lifted my heart back up!

Man, I can tell you, I've seen MANY crashes during my many years of riding. Some were stupid fall offs, or dirt riding goofs. Others were high speed street and track incidents that really ended in an ugly way.:eek I'm just glad that you are A1, and that your bike will be repaired quickly. I'm looking forward to riding with you again.

>> At any rate I went into a left hand sweeper way too hot, panicked and committed the cardinal sin, I grabbed all brakes and froze. I don't know how fast (Craig, any ideas?) let's just say it was too fast. <<

Ummm, well, in direct response to the question... I'd say by the pace that I was leading all morning, and the pace that the new leader seemed to continue with - it was probably around the posted speed limit for that road...

>> As a side note... I have notified local authorities and provided descriptions of all the riders that... of course caused ME to go off the road. You should all expect visits shortly. I have also contacted my lawyer, Al Shapiro, he'll be in touch too.

(well, maybe not too funny considering current events, oh well, fuck it!)

Rich <<

I thought it was REALLY FUNNY! Believe me - if I can laugh at it...anyyone can!

Bottom line Rich, is that I was able to ride behind you for a bit - and I got a very good look at your head and body position, your initiating turn fall in, your lever controls, and your throttle modulation. I think you are a very good rider. Like I said in another post - this can happen to ANY one of us on ANY ride. Believe me - I've been there a few times myself.:o

It's no fun crashing - everyone hates to see it happen (especially if they are involved). The most important things are - you are OK, and the bike can be replaced. AND, you are anxious to "get back on the horse". I thought you handled it well, and I am looking forward to riding with you again when you are all set with your bike.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

cRa1g
    2000 YZF-R1
    1999 Ducati 996 S
    1999 YZF-R6 (race)